how can i make professional,radio quality,bright,wide,warm and well mixed music?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

eos1001 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:53 am
Spin Boyz wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:44 am Sounds like your mixing environment could be causing the problem.
nah i use headphones
This is could be the first area which causes you problems.
To make successful mixes on headphones alone is very tricky.
Your mix sounds bass and top heavy with scooped mids. Is this due to your headphones? Who knows. But you need to be aware of such things.

So. Firstly, you need to compare your tracks to commercial tracks of the same genre. This is essential. It's no use producing a sparsely arranged downtempo trap-pop-song-based stuff, which you then compare to a busy 'electro-future-house-anime' ditty.

However, the actual mix process is down to your skills.
Have you tried any free YouTube tutorials on how to produce trap-rap-commercial pop?

How about you try sending your project to a professional mix engineer (there must be lots of them offering services online) and see what they do, and ask them to outline the steps they took to arrive at the final mix/master. What I'm saying is, the quickest way to learn these mixing skills is to sit with someone and see how they work on your material. Then, you could try to recreate these steps in your DAW of choice with your plugins, and see if it's possible. If not, then you know that you may need to update your plugin tool set, since contrary to what you say on your post, they don't all sound the same, and it is definitely worthwhile to collect a small set of high quality plugins.

And lastly, do invest in a good pair of monitors, if you haven't already, and make sure that your room is not causing any issues which could lead you to wrong mix decisions.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

bro/brodette

they scope that shit man. they have software that tells them what's what.

they are also willing to over spend for that sound like fab and ozone.

this is the difference from back in the day and now. we used to say... "damn that sound good to me." and we would use that ish even if it wasn't perfect. perfect is an illusion BTW. we were not scoping that shit with algo's that told us what to do and what not. it's going to go back to that. people are realizing how fake today's sound is and are re-evaluating IMO.

eos1001 wrote:All my mixes sound like their empty or behind you but this song mix sounds like its in your face but it gives you room to breathe and listen.
One thing to remember is that you're not listening to a mix here - you're listening to a final mix followed by mastering. It's an important distinction.

IMO much of the music posted here that falls into the modern production arena suffers from extreme overcompression, and sounds pretty flat. There are typically 3 steps to getting to a commercial end result, and I think this is often ignored:

1. Record the music
2. Mix down to a stereo mix
3. Master the stereo mix

That's probably an oversimplification and might vary somewhat here and there, but if you try to do all of these things at the same time you will likely struggle to get each one of them done to the best of your ability.
Sweet child in time...

Pay for lessons in mixing and mastering.

Stop buying plugins, because if you want a professional (commercial) sound, you won't get there no matter how many tools you have. Even the new tools in Ozone won't get you there.

You can even learn how to use your existing environment. You can learn to mix/master using your headphones.

Youtube will only get you so far because everyone with a mother who told their child they are amazing has a youtube channel giving advice and there's enough content out there to contradict every other video you watched.

So IF you are concerned with getting a professional sound... buy lessons.They can be found for less than the price of buying plugins.

This is like asking 'how should I live'?

One thing that has massively improved my mixes is buying an Avantone mixcube. Just one. Then get all levels correct mixing through it is mono. It sounds awful but that is good as it forces you to get all levels correct and solve the highs and mids. When you then go back to normal monitors the sound is glorious. Only thing it is not good for is mixing lows but it gets me 80% there.

It's by no means a silver bullet, but you could try using a commercial reference track in the same genre, and with the overall sound you're aiming for, and A/B between it and your mix, often.

Probably a good idea to bring the reference track volume down to around -16LUFS (integrated), before you start to give yourself some headroom for peaks (you can make it louder later). Melda's free MLoudnessAnalyser can do this for you.

Import the reference to a separate track in your project. I set mine muted, so that hitting Solo flips between my mix and the reference. It's a good idea to route the reference straight to the hardware outs so that it is not processed by any effects on the 2bus or master (if your DAW supports this, of course). Bring your overall mix level up or down to match the reference level.

Start A/B-ing back and forth between the two - Listen to individual instruments (kick, bass, leads, pads, vocals...), are they around the same volume? What about the timbre; too much/little bass/mid/treble? How are reverb and other FX levels?

Start making any required changes to your mix at the track level (eq, gain, etc), until you can't get them any closer. Obviously, different instrumentation choices will mean using your judgement - you can't make an 808 sound exactly like a 909, or a Rhodes sound like a 303, for example.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat. After a while, this will become easier.

I've been recording and mixing for longer than I care to remember, and I still use reference tracks occasionally because it takes only a few minutes for my ears to become acclimatized to a particular sound, and you need to keep nudging them into right zone...

Take breaks every hour, grab a beer/coffee/poison-of-choice - wait 5-10 minutes, then go back to it with fresh ears.

As your using headphones, you might want to take a look at Isone and Morphit from ToneBoosters; Isone attempts to simulate a monitor environment in your cans. Morphit can flatten the frequency response of your headphones (if they're supported), and optionally translate them to other makes of headphone, which is useful if you want to see what it sounds like on earbuds, etc.

Keep practicing, you'll get there.

Return to “Production Techniques”