How to get a more live like workflow

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I've been making music for a few years now and I've come to realize that my process for making beats is kind of slow and boring. Instead of doing tons of mouse clicking for automation, switching up drum loops, filter sweeps, exc, I want to give my process more of a live feel. This makes the process more exciting and I get to get a lot of my ideas out all at once. I use FL Studio and I tend to be stuck with a bunch of four bar loops with no movement/life at times because constantly going back and forth with clicking in automation and switching up the drums kind of slowly reduces my creative juices if that makes sense. I want to be able to play in new drums without constantly having to create a new pattern and recording all over again. I want to be able to automate 4 different things at separate times on just one recording without touching my mouse.

Is there a piece of hardware or software or process I'm missing that is compatible with FL Studio that will help me reach the workflow I desire?

some sort of midi controller.
one with knobs and faders will give you more access to parameters.
drum pads will let you finger drum.

yeah try the akai Fire, it's probably what you're after.

Maybe get a Novation Launchpad? It comes with a free version of Ableton Live Lite, so you could work with Live and mix down in FL Studio if you prefer to do that. The Launchpad can be used to trigger MIDI or audio loops, and you can use the pads to create loops live and then record a live arrangement.

Maybe also get a keyboard, as it doesn't sound like you have one. Something like an Arturia KeyStep, which also has a built in sequencer that you can tweak live.
Sweet child in time...

+1 for midi keyboard with knobs, faders and pads. Akai, novation or native instruments for example.

Thanx for the reply's! I already have a midi keyboard. When I stated that I don't like to do a lot of clicking I more so mean for automation and drums. I'm interested in a workflow where I don't have to stop as much. I'll look into the launch pad and Fire though.

what others have said! you definitely need to get away from mouse clicking on a chart and get a device with pads and touch and dynamics control.

what i do is i load up maschine and an expansion i like, i set a time signature, put on a good song with a really good drummer and drum groove i like and i try to replicate it by hand for a few bars. then i go in and fix it up to be in time and take a part i really like, copy and paste it, then i shift it around here and there so it's imperfect, like something human played it.

note: i am heavily bias and a big NI fanboi so i live and breather Maschine and their ecosystems and crystal tinge to their sounds. But i think there are other vendors out there that have other hardware devices and other more organic sounds. good luck.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

If your really want to have "Live-feeling" go and get
a real drumset! That's real life - you get sweaty - and
you feel the rhythm! 8)
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Production Techniques”