Which plugins are on your stereo bus? Why?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just curious which plugins you guys choose to use on your stereo bus and why?
Maybe add why you use that specific plugin compared to other ones that sort of do the same thing

None. I’ll take my final mix into iZotope Ozone to master it and that’s the only place I’ll put anything on the master bus.
Sweet child in time...

Voxengo Span and Corellometer, so I can quickly take a peek at spectrum or stereo coherence.

Ozone Elements and Youlean Loudness Meter does it for me.

SPAN
ISOL8
Tonal Balance Control

sometimes a VU meter
sometimes that Vengence CM Scope suite

.. you pussies. :hihi:

MJUC
SDRR2
Pro-Q3
Acustica Audio various bits and pieces depending on track (usually 2 to 5 plugins)
Kush preamps in standby in case I need some more fluff
Kazrog TrueIron (almost always engaged)
Overloud 670 in standby
FuseAudio VCL-864U and VQA-154
Somekind of reverb on standby for tiny amounts of extra glue (very low level, down into the noisefloor).. usually Seventh Heaven
Thimeo Stereo Tool on standby for "secret sauce" stereo manipulation and possible clipping as well
DMG Audio secret plugin
Pro-L2 for limiting

.. not necessarily in this order.

I'll be adding Gullfoss as soon as it hits Windows.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:47 am DMG Audio secret plugin
:?: Available or yet to be released?

Hah! Only if I'm not producing, mixing and mastering in the same session file. Otherwise it's a clean master bus for export and importing into a new mastering sesh.

Which mode in True Iron do you use on the master? I bought it recently but I'm finding it a bit weird on a whole mix, even at 5-10% mix. Was expecting subtle but it's not really.

The first thing I add to any project is a brick wall limiter, the one that comes with Orion, on the main output. That way I don't have to worry about levels until I am ready to worry about levels. When we play live, most of our songs have that limiter plus Slam Dawg Pro, just to add a bit of spice and glue to the bottom end. When I am ready to render a song, I turn the level down until the brick wall limiter's needle only moves occasionally, so that it takes care of any stupid transients without having an audible effect on the mix. I do my mastering in standalone Ozone, mostly relying on Track Assistant to set it up but also with a bit of my own tweaking. Then I bring it into Audition, where I do final gain matching with the rest of the songs on the album, using Audition's hard limiter effect.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Waves L2 limiter just to catch any pesky overs. Nothing else. Save it for 'mastering'.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I mostly have a Tape-Simulation and Abletons Limiter on my master. Tape to get some mojo. Limiter to get peaks. Everything else gets taken care of in Mastering. If I already have something in mind, I‘ll delete the tape.

A limiter.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

In reverse order:
- Isone, sometimes (room "feel" in the headphones)
- Span and Youlean meter
- Limiter (say, Barricade)

- Waves NLS (mojo and gentle drive)
- Some gentle compressor, like a varimu or opto, doing less than 2 db GR
- I've been trying to incorporate a mastering eq because I'm trying to learn gentle/broad eq techniques

in LIVE : Glue w/ slowest attack, fastest release, 4:1 at 50%wet > Overdrive @ 2% wet > EQ8 w/ high pass, low pass & a tiny dip at 200hz > Saturator @ 15% wet > VUMT Dlx @ rms setting for final leveling
peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

A brick-wall limiter

Return to “Production Techniques”