48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i wonder as i always thought 44.1 kHZ and 24bit is enough but more and more say especially for sound design, making music/sounds for games etc. that 48 kHZ is a must.

1. is it true?
2. how much impact on the performance (PC/MAC) does it have?

:tu:
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

1. Don't know. DVD Video uses 48kHz, CD audio is 44.1kHz
2. In theory 8.84% extra.
Last edited by BertKoor on Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Yes 48Khz and by now even 96Khz is required for games work.(Latter for the latest highend consoles)
Cubase 6, Alesis Fusion, Virus Ti, Korg Triton & Digital & Analog Collection, K2000R, Yamaha CS1x, Komplete 9, Kirk Hunter Libraries, NVA Taiko Drums, Uhe Ace, Bazille and Zehbra, Polyana, Jamstix 3, Toontrack Drums and more libraries and VST's

If you use the right sample rate convertor, you can produce in 44.1kHz 16bit, supply it to them in 192kHz 64bit, an no one will notice.
That is, until they watch it with a scope and see there's nothing above 22kHz and below -96dBfs.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Solely for music production 44kHz 24bit
For anything to do with film, gaming etc 48kHz 24bit

thx a lot guys, but e.g. your music is used in a movie, and you produced it in 44.1 KHz what then ? ;)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

44.1 kHZ and 24bit
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Caine123 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:30 pm thx a lot guys, but e.g. your music is used in a movie, and you produced it in 44.1 KHz what then ? ;)
They'll probably just convert it to 48 kHz
Turn off your Brain & Turn on your Heart

Ari-S wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:02 pm
Caine123 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:30 pm thx a lot guys, but e.g. your music is used in a movie, and you produced it in 44.1 KHz what then ? ;)
They'll probably just convert it to 48 kHz
Indeed. 44.1 for music and 48 for film is referring to the delivery format, not the DAW sample rate. It's not about the theoretical extra quality: it's just the 'native' sample rate of the playback devices. It's only relatively recently that lossless surround sound has become available in the home. The older lossy standards like Dolby Digital would have lowpass filtered everything well below 20kHz as part of the encoding (AFAIK), but the delivery format was still 48kHz.

Most sample rate converters are good enough to do 44.1 -> 48 and 48 -> 44.1 conversion with less than -100dBi distortion for frequencies under 20kHz. This means that if you deliver the wrong format for music or film, they'll just convert it without worry. Should you work in 44.1kHz to save the 8% CPU when you know the delivery format is 48kHz? Completely up to how "purist" your mood is.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

So what's the point of using 24 bit, when the target will be 16 bit in most cases?

Edit: Nevermind, found a pretty good post in German explaining the topic: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php ... #post15772

Mastering can easily steal 20dB+ of headroom from your tracks in quiet/dynamic passages. And 1 extra bit = ~6dB lower noise floor. Also, when you mix multiple tracks, their noise floors accumulate.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

chk071 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:33 pm So what's the point of using 24 bit, when the target will be 16 bit in most cases?...
I can't get into your german site but I'm wondering if it says the same thing I'm gonna say, that I can hear(albeit modestly) the diff between 16bit vs. 24bits but can't hear a lick of difference between 44.1khz vs. anything above that. Maybe others can but . . .

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Tl;dr, it basically said what vortico wrote in his last post. :)

For DISCOGRAPHY, see К Ɱ Ԏ Ꮇ Ꮩ Ꭶ Ꭵ Ꮳ

Return to “Production Techniques”