Drawing Modulation curves

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

How do I draw modulation curves for String, Brass/Woodwinds sections ?

How to draw if a bar has only one note and How to draw if a bar has 4 notes or more?

Also, Whats the difference between Modulation and Expression curves? When to use each one of them?

Thanks

It depends on how the instrument is set up. A lot of orchestral libraries use modulation (CC1) to crossfade between dynamic layers (which frequently has an effect on volume as well as timbre). And often, expression (CC11) is used to control volume alone, without affecting timbre. There is also variation within these libraries; a library might use a CC to control dynamics for long notes, while the dynamics of short notes could be controlled by velocity instead. This is going to vary from one library to another; some stuff uses CC1 to control vibrato, and CC11 to control dynamics, for instance.

Long notes are not static, in a real world context. Depending on which samples you are using, there might be some sort of dynamic arc built into the recorded performance. This is not always the case, however; some libraries require you to sculpt every aspect of the performance. As a rule of thumb, long notes tend to "swell," as in the mod wheel starts low, builds up to the intended dynamic, and then maybe tapers off toward the end of the note. This is going to depend entirely on context, though.

You haven't really provided enough context to get accurate responses here. Without knowing which specific tools you're using, and what you're trying to achieve, anything we tell you might be leading you down the wrong path.

It's worth checking out Mike Verta's videos on YT. This guy really knows his stuff when it comes to achieving "realism" with orchestral virtual instruments, and has a couple videos about this specific topic.

Even though those videos focus on real-time input with a keyboard, the same principles apply when considering inputting that data via sequencer instead.

Thanks a lot for taking time for the writeup .. I will definitely check out Mike Verta's videos.
I use Cinematic Strings and Cinematic Studio Strings mostly.
I use Metropolis Ark 2 mostly for Brass and ProjectSam sometimes.
Woodwinds mostly would be Spitfire/ projectSam.
and I use Metropolis Ark for Choir.

any other suggestions on this?

I am struggling to get that realistic sound out of my strings especially.

Return to “Production Techniques”