This really strange vocal effect

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I was wondering how could I recreate this kind of vocal effect. It's kind of hard to describe with words. It sounds like maybe formant shift with some vibrato or something. Please check it out and let me know how you think you would recreate the sound.

(Effect is very clear at 2:55 but starts at 0:20)
https://youtu.be/EcTfRr5zMiw?t=175

Just sounds like an old school pitch shifter to me. The kind that didn’t have formant shifting, so you end up with chipmunk and Darth Vader Effects as you shift up or down too much.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Might be a mix of different effects. Or some kind of multi-fx tools.
For that stuttery character, you can try some pitch-correction vst ...GSnap would be a free one.
At some points it sounds a bit like tape delay beeing played with (changing delay times on the fly).
Also some parts sound like vocoded ...Ableton Live has a vocoder setting called "pitch tracking" that might do the trick.

That's been through a whole bunch of things. The very early sections remind me of ring modulation or FM, particularly right at the start where's there a kind of flanging effect. FM with a sawtooth modulator might do the job - but this is a guess. I haven't tried to reverse-engineer it and am just going by the kind of artefacts are in the sound.

I'm thinking pitch/formant shifter followed by uber-hardcore compression to bring out the artifacts, particularly on the breath sounds which are wrecked. Polyverse Manipulator is good at these kinds of sounds, particularly when it's 'confused' and you get the kind of rapid burbling heard in the breath sounds.

Return to “Production Techniques”