She's A Beauty -- synth intro?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Help needed! Re: She's A Beauty by The Tubes. How can I recreate the intro (both in sound and pattern) using Omnisphere without using Arp/Sequencing (as it's for a live show, part of a medley, no click tracks, so I have to be at drummer's tempo).

It sounds like there are 2 layered parts -- one stays on the same "A" while the other plays "A" across 4 octaves.

One thought was to set up something like this, using Omni 5 parts using Stack Mode:
Part 1: Range A4--D5, tuned to the "drone A" with pitch tracking off.
Part 2: Range A4, tuned to the "A octave -1"
Part 3: Range B4, tuned to the "A octave 0"
Part 4: Range C5, tuned to the "A octave +1"
Part 5: Range D5, tuned to the "A octave +2"

So that I can just play the 16th notes A-B-C-D repeatedly.

And, could use help in the actual sound-design portion too!

Thanks for any help!!

PS -- I'll just add, I have NI Komplete and Novation SL mkiii, so if it can be done with a diff synth setup, please recommend.

I found that (in Omnisphere) using the "4-Step" as a Mod Source --> Synth Hard Sync, can replicate it pretty closely.

Any other ideas?

Here's what I settled on, for those interested (using Omnisphere):
Used MonoPoly Square synth waveform.
Hard Sync to 0.3
Then used the "4-step" Modulation Source 0.50 --> Synth Hard Sync
Throw in some Unison, tweak the Amp/Filter Env to staccato
Then just play 16th notes on A.

Then for the "filter sweep" part, just used the same patch on another part...but modified it's Env to be longer, and used a Mod Env to control the Hard Sync.

I'm here because my band is doing this song and I'm trying to figure out how to create this intro.
However, I'm using a Yamaha MODX8. Same boat...I don't want to use arpeggiator live.

Return to “Production Techniques”