Kick making / layering - how many sub in kick?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I create my own kicks in synthesizers like KICK 2, PunchBox etc., I still wonder how loud it should be layer with the sub. Is there any trick to set it well? How to compare and get closer to kicks that are used by top favorite producers?

P.S.

When I compare my kicks with those that are in sample packs, it turns out that mine they have too much sub. Is comparing my kicks with those from sample packs (for example - Riemann Collection) a good solution? Are these kicks usually ready for use in the mix and are the starting point for other tracks?

It depends on the sample pack. Some have kicks that are cut out from popular releases. Others have sampled kicks from drum machines. Some are raw, some are processed. Some are already layered. Some are compressed, others are not. So basically everything is possible.

Also the tonal balance depends on the genre a lot.

If you are in the dance genre, create a rhythm section with your kick and compare it with intro or outro sections of your fav releases. Get the loudness around the same level and take a look at the spectrum analyzer. The sub bass levels should be around the same level.

If the sample collection is "ready to use", you can compare your kicks with those directly. Use the analyzer to see how kicks of your genre actually look like. Later you can use the analyzer while creating your own samples.

Thanks for instructions! It's really important for me and works fine!

Sometimes less is more, especially when it comes to bass frequencies.
One of the reasons the Minimoog is so fat is because it is monophonic.

Be careful to not overlap too many low frequency kicks on top of each other.
Keep it simple if you want it fat.

I choose the kick depending on the sound of the sub bass, or vice versa. I treat them as one unit. Some times a kick with less sub works better with a certain sub bass sound, or a nice subby kick might work better with a less subby bass. The worst thing you can have is a kick and a sub bass that are fighting each other. My advice is to keep this in mind when creating kicks or sub basses.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I thought there was another similar thread. Didn't realise it was the same OP: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=513256

Personally, I have a starter preset I set up that has the frequency range divided into 6 bands, and a kick sample in each band, so I have 6 to choose from. I don't use all 6 in every track, often it's only 3 or maybe even 2.

However, for the sub I tend to use a synthesizer rather than a sample, so that I can determine the note that the sub is on and ultimately have more control over the envelope of the sound.

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Return to “Production Techniques”