Drums with music don't blend together properly

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I have a very strange problem since months. I'm trying to do my best while mixing drums, but after all it seems that any music content (bass, chords, anything) don't fit properly with it (I mean - they don't blend so good that you can say that's a even good "composition" where nothing is missing, all you can hear is like separate drums and separate music content).

Here is an example of recently made drum looop:
https://www16.zippyshare.com/v/wZZWzAk2/file.html

And here is the same drum loop with (theoretically) tuned bass and music loop:
https://www101.zippyshare.com/v/OhWpOpQZ/file.html

I would like to know where the problem is. It's all the groove, too much elements, some of the elements are not properly tuned, bad compression, bad EQ, some elements are too loud or too quiet...? Or maybe something else? I would be very glad for any helpful reply, this problem hold me since months and I still can't make any track that sounds even good because I got the feeling that something is missing and all elements of the track don't blend together properly...

Cheers!

To me it just sounds like the drums are way too loud.

Create a sub track that includes all the drums so you can control them with one fader.
Place a compressor on the sub track and squash it fairly tight.

Now bring the drums up just enough to blend into the other instruments.

Tune the drums to the key of the song, that will help them blend well with the music. The kick drum also needs some separation from the bass, you can solve that with EQ (preferably sidechain EQ in the low-end).

Like Reefius already mentioned above. The drums are also too loud.

the bass and synth are too low. the synth needs a reverb with short decay.

also because the bass is so low i can't hear exactly whats wrong with it but i can hear problems there.

Nytshade wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:17 pm Tune the drums to the key of the song,
One of the biggest myths in sound production, right there.
What happens when the song changes key.... :wink:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

never seen a drummer just get up, take off with his snare and come back with another one in between sets? :lol:

Another comment, besides the level, is to pay attention to the stereo field and panning. Try to tighten things up a little bit and make sure bass sounds and frequences below 90Hz are more or less mono. Stereo enhancers can be your best friend or your worst enemy depending when and how they are used. To me it sounds like all sounds are all over the place.

Also use EQ to separate the kick from the sub bass as much as you can without making it sound unnatural. Side chain will also help to separate the kick from the sub.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:43 am make sure bass sounds and frequencies below 90Hz are more or less mono.
No. Make sure they ARE mono, not more or less. Applies to snare and lead vocal as well.
And check the whole mix in mono, make sure you're not losing any sounds when going from stereo to mono. :tu: :wink:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

acYm wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:29 am never seen a drummer just get up, take off with his snare and come back with another one in between sets? :lol:
What>> OFC NOT!!
That's what roadies are for..
Oh and fetching the beer :party:

Return to “Production Techniques”