Need Help With Trance Project (CD Completed)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:24 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:08 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:04 pm
mladi wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:29 pm The truth hurts i know.
Link to your tracks plz?
Oh come on, don't put him on the spot like that. He might wet his pants.
He has so strong opinions that I wanna hear his trance 8)
I like the track I'm working on now. It's still lame, but it's getting closer.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:22 pm
mladi wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:11 pm wagtunes this has nothing to do with trance. No wonder you'll need a few years to come up with a decent track (that is totally normal) but that you really seem to think that you could show something worth to call trance after a few attempts shows only that you don't have a clue about trance music and the production skills needed. Keep on dreaming but don't expect that everybody will applaude you for a lame attempt.

This is trance btw...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV4e2st ... OpvkVOebCM
There you go. That's the KVR encouragement that we all love so much around here. It warms my heart so to see that this place isn't dead yet.

Thank you kind sir. May I have another?
LOL!

Well, I wasn't going to post this but I figured my fan club was probably itching for another chance to call my stuff lame.

I had a lot of fun doing this one. Only took me 2 days. Two long days. No vocals on this one. All instrumental. So nobody can bitch about Vocaloid.

Anyway, I'll save a lot of people a lot of trouble. This is lame. It sucks. It's not Trance. It's so bad I should probably consider doing something else with my life aside from making music. A sewer rat has more musical talent than I have. Did I forget anything? I'm sure if I did my fan club will let me know.

Here it is, all 8:18 of torture. You've been warned. So if you listen you have nobody to blame but yourself.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... oad-master

:clap: Nice one! I am inspired! I have been told that my trance tracks were very generic and I need some special stuff. There are quite a few elements in your track that I can learn from! Thanks wag :tu:
Trance, Trance Is Life

:clap:

I'd change the beat from 4/4 to a trap or dubstep beat and hihat to a bit more gentle snap (if you're playing it with a sampler, remove sustain and just a hint of decay).

Otherwise, OMFG is that really you!? :hyper: :clap:

Love the intro, sounds fit all together nicely (even that piercing lead you have in many songs), song structure works and fits to the style.

:tu:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:33 am
:clap:

I'd change the beat from 4/4 to a trap or dubstep beat and hihat to a bit more gentle snap (if you're playing it with a sampler, remove sustain and just a hint of decay).

Otherwise, OMFG is that really you!? :hyper: :clap:

Love the intro, sounds fit all together nicely (even that piercing lead you have in many songs), song structure works and fits to the style.

:tu:
1. Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, that was really me. I'm not as untalented and pathetic as people believe.

2. The track is done. If I "fix" everything that somebody doesn't like (trust me, more is coming) I'll be changing the whole song.

Something inside me finally snapped when I finished this song. I played it back and honestly said to myself "OMG, this is amazing. I absolutely LOVE this!"

And that's when I decided that I don't care what anybody says or thinks about this song. If I love it that much (and I'm the one who has to live with it for the rest of my life) then I'm not changing it just to make somebody else happy.

And it was at THAT moment that I realized that THAT'S how it should be with every song that I do. It just doesn't matter what others think. I'M the one who has to be happy with it. If I'm not, and I don't change what's not right, then shame on me. That's being lazy. And there is no excuse for it. But I made sure that everything in this track was EXACTLY the way I wanted it. Once it was, that's it. I was done.

So that's it. I'm done. There will be more criticisms. My friend Ghetto (and I have more respect for him than just about anybody here) said it's not Trance because the beat is wrong. Well, maybe so. I'm sure he knows. But I like it the way it is so I'm keeping it. Besides, what he told me to do to change it I have no idea what he's talking about so I'll just end up making a mess of it anyway.

Even with the things "wrong" with this track, your comment made my year. Nobody's ever been that impressed with anything I've ever done in 40 plus years of writing. So I guess now I can die in peace.

Thanks.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:25 am ...
It just doesn't matter what others think. I'M the one who has to be happy with it.
This.
Every time.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:25 am The track is done. If I "fix" everything that somebody doesn't like (trust me, more is coming) I'll be changing the whole song.
IMO it'd work better with different kind of beat. You can try it by removing from kick kick kick kick beat those kicks number 2 and 4. And maybe move kick number 3 occasionally 1/8th or 1/16th step earlier.

Try it and tell me what you think.
Googly Smythe wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:45 am
It just doesn't matter what others think. I'M the one who has to be happy with it.
This.
Every time.
+1

Though it can be an endless loop to trying to please yourself.. Or what do you think Recursive? :hihi:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:17 am
wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:25 am The track is done. If I "fix" everything that somebody doesn't like (trust me, more is coming) I'll be changing the whole song.
IMO it'd work better with different kind of beat. You can try it by removing from kick kick kick kick beat those kicks number 2 and 4. And maybe move kick number 3 occasionally 1/8th or 1/16th step earlier.

Try it and tell me what you think.
Googly Smythe wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:45 am
This.
Every time.
+1

Though it can be an endless loop to trying to please yourself.. Or what do you think Recursive? :hihi:
See, now I'm confused. Isn't a defining characteristic of Trance that 1,2,3,4 kick? If I removed beats, whatever, it's certainly not Trance anymore.

Anyway, like I said, I'm done. But thanks.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:22 am See, now I'm confused. Isn't a defining characteristic of Trance that 1,2,3,4 kick? If I removed beats, whatever, it's certainly not Trance anymore.

Anyway, like I said, I'm done. But thanks.
Yeah it would change the genre but like I said, IMO it'd work better :P I don't even try to stick to a genre, I just do what I feel and go with the flow. If people don't like it, not my problem :hihi:

Anyways, good job with that track :tu:

It's not bad. There's definitely some trancy elements in there. What kind of Trance were you trying to go for though? Definitely stick with the "1,2,3,4" kick because otherwise it won't be trance. It kinda seemed like you were trying to go for the fast 138 bpm rolling bassline style of Trance but didn't quite make it that far.

ckam03 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:47 pm It's not bad. There's definitely some trancy elements in there. What kind of Trance were you trying to go for though? Definitely stick with the "1,2,3,4" kick because otherwise it won't be trance. It kinda seemed like you were trying to go for the fast 138 bpm rolling bassline style of Trance but didn't quite make it that far.
Not sure which track you're referring to (I have 3 posted) but I'm not actually going for any particular style. I'm just doing my own thing.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:50 pm
ckam03 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:47 pm It's not bad. There's definitely some trancy elements in there. What kind of Trance were you trying to go for though? Definitely stick with the "1,2,3,4" kick because otherwise it won't be trance. It kinda seemed like you were trying to go for the fast 138 bpm rolling bassline style of Trance but didn't quite make it that far.
Not sure which track you're referring to (I have 3 posted) but I'm not actually going for any particular style. I'm just doing my own thing.
Oh. The one you posted on this page. Yellow Brick road.

The CD is completed. Thank you to everyone who helped. Learned a lot of production techniques this month that will serve me well in other genres.

Here is the entire playlist.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -of-trance

Return to “Production Techniques”