Need Help With Trance Project (CD Completed)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If I were to tell you the EQ settings for every track in this piece, there is no way there can possibly be any mud. Everything under 100 is completely cut and then cut on the master buss. I mean how thin on the bottom does this thing have to be?

I'll go through it again but I don't see anywhere where I can cut anymore without it sounding like something coming out of an AM radio from the 70s, unless that's the sound you guys are going for.

The «rule» is to have reverb last in a chain.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:59 pm If I were to tell you the EQ settings for every track in this piece, there is no way there can possibly be any mud. Everything under 100 is completely cut and then cut on the master buss. I mean how thin on the bottom does this thing have to be?

I'll go through it again but I don't see anywhere where I can cut anymore without it sounding like something coming out of an AM radio from the 70s, unless that's the sound you guys are going for.
You're missing the point. The trick is to eq the reverb, we're not talking about eq-ing the sounds themselves. And of course mud in mixes is usually around 200-400hz anyhow.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:59 pm If I were to tell you the EQ settings for every track in this piece, there is no way there can possibly be any mud. Everything under 100 is completely cut and then cut on the master buss. I mean how thin on the bottom does this thing have to be?

To my ears there are mud, so somewhere you will need to clean it up. you can use EQ to "scan" the frequency range if there are any frequencies that muddy it up or place a cut somewhere between 200-500hz

wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:46 pm But would you say, put a plate reverb on a kick and at the same time put a hall reverb on a pad in the same track? Wouldn't that clash?
I mean set the reverb as you want, then make a copy of it to a second send channel. Another one has short tail and another has long tail. That way they're sonically the same.

I'd hate to have some 7-9 second reverb on a snare... Much better with that 1-2 second tail ;)

And like someone mentioned, toss a highpass eq after the effect to remove unwanted frequencies. I cut from 100Hz.

Aaaand of course if your lead/snare/bongo/what ever -sound benefits from it, you can fart on a microphone and toss that creation to a convolution reverb on a third send or directly after the sound. Just remember to highpass all the rumble. Unless you have a tight..

Sound.

Let me demonstrate Wags with a couple of short exaggerated examples - not the tarnce, but some shite dancey type thing I was f**king about with a while back - it will suffice for the exercise!

Firstly full range reverb;

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/rev ... -nocut.mp3

Very rumbly and the kick is indistinct and doesn't punch through

Second with all the reverb cut below 500hz;

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/reverbtest-cut.mp3

Much tighter and more impact..

wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:59 pm Everything under 100 is completely cut and then cut on the master buss. I mean how thin on the bottom does this thing have to be?
so no kick drum then, should be a 50-60Hz thump right in the chest.

AnX wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:48 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:59 pm Everything under 100 is completely cut and then cut on the master buss. I mean how thin on the bottom does this thing have to be?
so no kick drum then, should be a 50-60Hz thump right in the chest.
Everything but the kick.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Okay, sliced this thing to pieces. Plus added a snare. And just to be clear, the EQ goes AFTER the reverb in the FX chain.

Here's my SPAN from the output buss showing max and average.

Here's the new track.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... e-home-wip

ok, thats not trance.... you've gone into euro ebm territory (think Icon of Coil/VNV Nation)

also, at the start, the gallop bassline is out of time with the kick, that stuff needs mega tight quantising... kick is too weak and way too much reverb, sounds like its recorded in silo.

AnX wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:55 pm ok, thats not trance.... you've gone into euro ebm territory (think Icon of Coil/VNV Nation)

also, at the start, the gallop bassline is out of time with the kick, that stuff needs mega tight quantising... kick is too weak and way too much reverb, sounds like its recorded in silo.
Thank goodness I ignore everything you say. LOL.

Oh, and by the way, the kick and bass are perfectly quantized. Everything is. I can show you a screen print of the piano roll of each instrument. Nothing is played real time. It's all robotic. You're just being the typical ass that you always are.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:44 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:55 pm ok, thats not trance.... you've gone into euro ebm territory (think Icon of Coil/VNV Nation)

I think he's right on all counts :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:52 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:44 pm

I think he's right on all counts :shrug:
Oh and now YOU decide to pop in here after 25 pages?

Okay, what makes this track suddenly NOT Trance since you're the expert?

God I hate the two of you.

Return to “Production Techniques”