Need Help With Trance Project (CD Completed)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

its a dark art in itself! :o

but its one of those things that can be as simple or as difficult as you want it to be.
just never let me hear you say these words "don't worry about the mix, ill fix it on the master"
i will hunt you down.

but, you can never have to many arrows in your quiver 8)
so yeah, learn away.

punk vocaloid :hyper:
that usage i could get behind! id love to hear their cutesy voices doing some angry politicised lyrics!!!

vurt wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:03 pm punk vocaloid :hyper:
that usage i could get behind! id love to hear their cutesy voices doing some angry politicised lyrics!!!
Yeah, wouldn't that be something.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:21 pm Suddenly, knowing I'm going to be working weeks on ONE track, something I have NEVER done in my life, is exciting to me. Doing all this automation and sidechaining and agonizing over every second of music to make sure it's EXACTLY the way I want it. Suddenly I want to make music again as badly as when I first started. It's like I've been reborn.
Now that you put it that way.. All I can do is to respect that. Go for it :tu:

If someone is trying to slow you down, I'll send Urs riding a chariot pulled by cats after him/her and trust me.. That catnip end of that whip is going to hit hard and deep to a spot where it really hurts :box: :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:lol:

do not rile urs pussy cats :o

I think I was seeing this Urs cat pic more often than my wife's face in last few days.

Someone please stop this dude.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

you cant stop the dude.

the dude abides.

Hmmm.. hope this thread will inspire me to finish a single track.

excuse me please wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:57 pm Hmmm.. hope this thread will inspire me to finish a single track.
Finishing tracks has never been my problem. Holding off on finishing them until they were as good as they could be was.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:46 pm
excuse me please wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:57 pm Hmmm.. hope this thread will inspire me to finish a single track.
Finishing tracks has never been my problem. Holding off on finishing them until they were as good as they could be was.
I have the tendency to put my everything in a track, which can be really depressive. Anyway, good luck!

wagtunes wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:46 pm Finishing tracks has never been my problem. Holding off on finishing them until they were as good as they could be was.
Then this thread has to be kept going while you work on your track to hold you off finishing it...

I think I should put all the text of this thread into vocaloid or better a 90s text to speech processor, send it through a chopped up resonator and compress it to hell. Should make up an instant experimental trance track...

recursive one wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:42 pm Someone please stop this dude.
I thought we were friends :lol:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:20 pm
If we weren't friends I would photoshop your face to that pic :D

To one of the cats most probably 8)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:38 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:20 pm
If we weren't friends I would photoshop your face to that pic :D

To one of the cats most probably 8)
You'd obviously accompany me in the cattudus :lol:

Now I have a disturbing image in my head, Urs whipping us both in the..

For anybody interested, things are starting to pick up in speed. I've learned a lot in a short time and, surprisingly, it's stuck. I've watched a fair amount of mastering videos and there's basically one thing I got from it. A lot of it is taste. Sure, you probably don't want a rumbling low end and mid range and high frequencies that have people running from the room, but for the most part, mastering is not anything close to an exact science. No amount of videos I'm going to watch is going to turn me into an expert mastering engineer because there's no such thing. Outside of basic stuff you don't want to do (most of which should be taken care of in the mix anyway) the rest is a crap shoot. I have 3 different mastered versions of this track I'm working on and any of them could work. I'm preferring to go with the one that gives me the most air and not so much the most bottom. My only concern is that the track is clean, no distortion, no phasing issues, and a good balance between the instruments. There are only so many systems I have available to me to play this back on (studio monitors, home and car stereo) and that's it. I can't test for iPods or boom boxes or whatever people are listening to stuff on. I'm not going to put myself into hock just to make sure this thing sounds good on every possible piece of equipment out there, especially since, as I said, I have no interest in the business.

So I guess, in reality, I'm not looking to make a professional quality recording because even if I had the skills, I don't have the equipment to do an absolutely perfect job. The greatest mastering engineer in the business could not master a track in my home flawlessly using what I have available. So I'm cutting my losses here and going back to simply making the best track I can make. I'm happy with it. No, it's still not done (going on 9 days now) but it's getting close. I have one more section to write (the finale) and record and then I'll do the final mix, automation, any additional bleeps and bloops I may want to add, and then I'll put this one to bed. I'm figuring somewhere between 12 and 14 days. Id anybody had ever told me I'd spend 2 weeks on one track I would have told them that they were crazy. But this has been fun and it's been a learning experience.

My only hope of becoming a pro at this is...

1. Hire a pro to sit down with me for a few weeks and teach me (an option if I were independently wealthy) and...

2. Build a professional studio and make sure I have all the necessary playback units to insure that the track plays flawless on each one of them, also an option if I were independently wealthy)

Since neither of them are options, I'm simply going to enjoy making better music (sound wise) than I used to make. As far as the quality of the music itself, that's always going to be a subject of debate.

Thanks again for all your help. I do now understand why certain people told me to forget about mastering a flawless production. My apologies to them. I didn't realize how impossible this was to do in a modest home studio with very limited resources. But, with the few basics I've learned, I can absolutely make a cleaner and better recording than I used to make. There is still plenty I can do even without reaching pro levels. The process is tedious to say the least, but I think it'll be worth it in the end.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:00 pmI do now understand why certain people told me to forget about mastering a flawless production. My apologies to them.
:hug:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Production Techniques”