Need Help With Trance Project (CD Completed)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wags I like you :hug:

andymcbain wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:20 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:44 am Never mind. I decided to try to sidechain it to the EQ through the FX Sends. It works but now I have to figure out the settings so that the drop out isn't so drastic.
Literally a dB or two should be all you need, and adjust the release so there's no obvious "pumping"

Trackspacer is my favourite tool for this job. Really quick and easy, and effective.
I'm assuming the longer the release the less the pumping as the compressor takes longer to stop working. Correct?

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:25 pm Wags I like you :hug:
LMAO. Okay. I like you too. Not sure what I did, but I'll take it.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:44 am Never mind. I decided to try to sidechain it to the EQ through the FX Sends. It works but now I have to figure out the settings so that the drop out isn't so drastic.
Literally a dB or two should be all you need, and adjust the release so there's no obvious "pumping"

Trackspacer is my favourite tool for this job. Really quick and easy, and effective.
Another +1 for Trackspacer. It’s really one of those ‘my favorite plugin of the year’, especially when it comes to ‘sidechaining’ -like fx.

andymcbain wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:12 pm
Metrum is really quite underrated in my opinion - I wish they'd update it to make the synthesis tool a bit more up to date and the interface a bit less fiddly! Browsing through those sample layers (especially with a spectrum analyzer in view) really gives you an insight into how the various layers gel together.

I keep processing to a minimum after that but have taken to using Oeksound "Spiff" to add 3dB or so to the 100-200hz region - it does a super clean boost and adds loads of punch :) Worth a try...
I need a microscope to see which adjustments I’m making to each layer. It’s time Vengeance gives us at least the ability to resize it. I’m definitely going to look into Spiff, I haven’t found the perfect transient/boost plugin for the kick in that range. Transient Monster from Stilwell does a nice job and I haven’t tried out Eventide Physion yet but Spiff will be next on my radar.

andymcbain wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:16 pm I see you're making Hard Trance by the way!!! Nice to see the genre being kept alive. Got numerous old tracks on vinyl... and used to play stuff like Wragg and Log:One a lot :)
https://www.beatport.com/track/relentle ... ix/3048812

Relentless :)

Just realized. Sidechaining to a Dynamic EQ, there is no release. The only controllable parameters are threshold, gain and Q.

So how do I control the release of a dynamic EQ?

wagtunes wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:24 pm Okay, I have Neutron and I understand what you're saying but I have no idea how to do what you're telling me to do. I've just about figured out how to sidechain one track to another in its entirety, but to do it on just a particular frequency range?
I don't know anything about Cubase, I'm afraid. Good luck.

garryknight wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:57 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:24 pm Okay, I have Neutron and I understand what you're saying but I have no idea how to do what you're telling me to do. I've just about figured out how to sidechain one track to another in its entirety, but to do it on just a particular frequency range?
I don't know anything about Cubase, I'm afraid. Good luck.
It's okay, I figured it out. Now I just have to figure out how to control the release on a dynamic EQ that has no release parameter.

Do you have Pro-MB?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:06 pm Do you have Pro-MB?
Yes, but I already set this up for Neutron.

And Pro MB is a compressor, not an EQ.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Ok.

Yes, I realise. However if I understand your intent this is what Pro-MB is designed for (ie, ducking individual frequencies via sidechain). As well as bread and butter multiband compression obviously.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

multiband comp.
ie frequency bands.
use it to duck on a narrow range around your chosen freq.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:28 pm

Ok.

Yes, I realise. However if I understand your intent this is what Pro-MB is designed for (ie, ducking individual frequencies via sidechain). As well as bread and butter multiband compression obviously.
Yeah, I understand. But I was told to avoid compression altogether. I was told using dynamic EQ for vocals was better.

You'll have to ask the person who told me to do it this way why it's better. I'm only going by what I was told.

JoaquinAce wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:06 pm I need a microscope to see which adjustments I’m making to each layer. It’s time Vengeance gives us at least the ability to resize it. I’m definitely going to look into Spiff, I haven’t found the perfect transient/boost plugin for the kick in that range. Transient Monster from Stilwell does a nice job and I haven’t tried out Eventide Physion yet but Spiff will be next on my radar.
It does kinda feel like buying into abandonware with the old Vengeance stuff, but we'll struggle on for now. I bought Spiff for some restoration work without even testing the "boost" section - and to my surprise it's turned out to be the cleanest sounding transient designer I've ever used... though the CPU use and price reflect that!
JoaquinAce wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:13 pm https://www.beatport.com/track/relentle ... ix/3048812

Relentless :)
Absolute banger. Whenever either of those guys brought out a new track it felt like Christmas. I've totally lost track of where the hard dance scene is at but this has made me wanna check some new stuff out :)

Return to “Production Techniques”