Need Help With Trance Project (CD Completed)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reefius wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:19 pm I never saw the point of layering kicks. All you need is a good TR-909 kick sample (or something like D16 Drumazon) and some EQ, compression and saturation to make it sound 'fat'.

Layering synths is another story, this can result in sounds that would be impossible to create using only one synth.
This. For the first project don’t waste time with layering a kick. A kick won’t make the track.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:36 am Okay, I know I'm going to regret asking this but what are the absolutely most invaluable, can't live without, make your life a ton easier plugins for doing Trance? You can be general or specific.
T-Force Alpha + was something :D

If I'd have to select one synth to make trance, for some reason I'd be picking Thor. But if it has to be a vsti, I'd pick Hive.

Have you tried layering your trance kick in D16 Punchbox?

Reefius wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:19 pm I never saw the point of layering kicks. All you need is a good TR-909 kick sample (or something like D16 Drumazon) and some EQ, compression and saturation to make it sound 'fat'.

Layering synths is another story, this can result in sounds that would be impossible to create using only one synth.
Hey, what do I know. Everybody tells me that you have to layer kicks unless you've got some specially made samples or some fancy drum synth.

I could post a Trance track with 20 million views that has a kick that doesn't sound any different from my Battery 4 808 kick.

So I don't know. Everybody has their own little thing that they think if you don't do your track is crap.

It's like that in every genre.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:22 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:36 am Okay, I know I'm going to regret asking this but what are the absolutely most invaluable, can't live without, make your life a ton easier plugins for doing Trance? You can be general or specific.
T-Force Alpha + was something :D

If I'd have to select one synth to make trance, for some reason I'd be picking Thor. But if it has to be a vsti, I'd pick Hive.

Have you tried layering your trance kick in D16 Punchbox?
Don't own D16 Punchbox.

All in all, you shouldn't do layering just because someone at KVR told you than when making trance you are supposed to do layering. Make a track in your normal way, compare it to your referecne tracks and if you think that something - the lead, the kick etc, doesn't sound huge enough, then try adding a second layer.

The more techniques and tricks you know, the more creative you may be, but this doesn't mean that you should do everything you know in each track you are making.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

You are right, you don't have to do anything. The only thing that matters is how it sounds to you. If you feel that a kick sounds better without layering, then it is. Everyone can do it their own way and thats the great thing of making music. It can go as far as someone taking 3 months to make a kick for hardstyle with 7-8 layers and each layer with multiple distortion fx, EQ etc and some that say you can make the same type of kick with a single layer and one clip distortion plugin. do whatever you feel is right. I feel that everyone is only trying to help by telling you what works for them, not saying you have to do it or else the the track will be a disaster and the new world order will collapse and some world leaders will turn out to be a prank.

To give you another tip if you are a synthesis guy. You can make multiple layers for the same kick in one synth using FM synthesis and make the most banging kick others need 5 layers for.

JoaquinAce wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:40 pm To give you another tip if you are a synthesis guy. You can make multiple layers for the same kick in one synth using FM synthesis and make the most banging kick others need 5 layers for.
One thing I've never been good at (of course I've never really put much time into it) is making drum sounds in synths. Pads, leads, etc., no problem. Something about drum sounds just baffles me. So I tend to keep away from doing it.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/sa ... les-223498

or

https://www.myloops.net/download-free-trance-samples

And I believe you'll find a kick for free that fills your need and you can go forward. No need to reinvent the wheel here ;)

Today I'm listening to a Vocal Trance playlist. So far, sounds like regular songs with a 4/4 kick and a few recognizable Trance sounds, arps, etc. Especially love Dash Berlin.

I'm thinking that this might be the direction I want to go in but haven't decided yet.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:59 pm Today I'm listening to a Vocal Trance playlist. So far, sounds like regular songs with a 4/4 kick and a few recognizable Trance sounds, arps, etc.
Yes, that's essentially what it is
wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:59 pm Especially love Dash Berlin.
Frankly Dash Berlin and similar were one of the reasons why I stopped caring about mainstream trance whatsoever but I understand why people may like it :)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:03 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:59 pm Today I'm listening to a Vocal Trance playlist. So far, sounds like regular songs with a 4/4 kick and a few recognizable Trance sounds, arps, etc.
Yes, that's essentially what it is
wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:59 pm Especially love Dash Berlin.
Frankly Dash Berlin and similar were one of the reasons why I stopped caring about mainstream trance whatsoever but I understand why people may like it :)
And I can understand why people hate it. It sounds so, um, commercial. And part of me is thinking, unless I really take this in my own direction, what's the point? I might as well just do a regular EDM CD with vocals and be done with it. There isn't a ton of difference.

That's why I'm saying, I haven't decided yet. I'd like to do something where people will say "Hey Wags, nice job" instead of "Oh geesh, more of this crap."

Of course I'm never going to please everybody so I have to be content with what I'm doing on its own.

+1

Transient shaper on the kick attack. Yes, no?

If you think it needs one, than yes, otherwise no. It's still a creative process, there is no way how things have to be done. Just do what sounds right to you.
If you think the transient has to be more pronounced, than it's certainly an option.

Return to “Production Techniques”