Monitors vs headphones reference

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My question is what is more reliable when mixing - monitors or headphones.
I use mainly headphones because of bad room acoustic,but lately consider to improve and invest on it so need advice - can pro mixes be done only with headphones and reference between few of them or monitors are must have to compare - what is more reliable?
Thanks.
Last edited by VELLTONE MUSIC on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

For example if use per of monitors which cost 350 euro and spend extra 150 eu for the room acoustic will i hear better my mix compared to 500 euro headphones,maybe isn't the best comparison but i hope u get the point.

That's not really how it works buddy. The cross grade costs are not how you calculate cans versus monitors.

I always advise my students to use both, one for isolating specifics and the other for stereo imaging. If your room's acoustics is not up to par then use the headphones and drop out when you need stereo referencing.

Before you decide to spend money on acoustics hit us up with the room's dimensions and what furniture you have in there and where it's placed.

When I was having my studio treated I worked with one set of semi headphones and a basic pair of monitors. I mixed with the headphones and used the Sonarworks plugin to reference against various monitors and responses. I would then make all my pan decisions with the monitors.

Before doing either, i recommend checking out Sonarworks Reference/ToneBoosters Morphit, and Waves NX/ToneBoosters Isone. While they won't make a perfect replacement of monitors, they do a pretty great job and will get you by without monitors unless you're mixing sub bass or trying to compete with CLA.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

It depends... Monitor A is not like Monitor B is not like the headphone. :D

I have a Teufel 5.1 (300€), KRK Rokit (150€), Focal CMS (400€) and Focal Trio6 BE (2400€) speakers + Sennheiser and Focal headphones and all have their special strengths and weaknesses.

I mainly use the Trio6 because of their precission and clarity, but for i.e. finetuning a bassline I switch to the Focal Professional headphones.
They have such a special charater on the low end. If your bass sounds "hmm could be better" on Trio6, it will sound complety shit on the phones (love it for producing for exactly that reason). On other hand the Trio6 are way better on everything above 1k.

My advice when you do mixing: try with as many speakers and phones you can find and remeber what they do good and what don't - so next time you already know: "bass sounds good on main monitors, lets quickly try with those headphones and see if it is really good".

When it comes to room accoustics, yes it makes a difference, but it is not that big - there is just too much hype about it IMHO.

I have tried the KRK Rokit6 on an treated room vs the Focal Trio6 on an untreated room... and imagine what.. the Focal sound like from another sound-universe... so DON'T spend 5k€ on room accoustics to run 300€ spekaers on it.. but try it vice versa.

Return to “Production Techniques”