Parallel Effect Techniques???

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Brandon203113 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:06 am it would have to control the gain post i think... because you can't control the gain independently after the dry/wet with the knob, it would affect the output as a whole as to blending with the sends... but hell i don't know thats why im asking for answers, the guy posting above you seems to think it's obvious but when i adjust the mix knob it doesn't change the amount of gain reduction shown in the glue compressor i have on my channel??? soooo is it really changing the amount of gain going in or nah bro?
Of course it won’t. The wet/dry is post processing. The compressor will take 100% of the signal always and you determine how much unprocessed/dry signal you want mixed back in.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Brandon203113 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:06 am it would have to control the gain post i think... because you can't control the gain independently after the dry/wet with the knob, it would affect the output as a whole as to blending with the sends... but hell i don't know thats why im asking for answers, the guy posting above you seems to think it's obvious but when i adjust the mix knob it doesn't change the amount of gain reduction shown in the glue compressor i have on my channel??? sooooooo i don't know if he knows what he's talking about or not

The dry/wet knob has no real definition, every plugin has it's own implemention.
That's part of the problem here it think.
Example:
The Dry/Wet for filter saturation on Virus TI does 0->100% on signal gain from 0%->50% knob position. From 50%-100% it adds saturion to the signal.
The Ping Pong Delay on Ablton has 100% signal when knob is on 0%. On 50% it has 50% signal and 50% delay, on 100% knbos it has 100% delay and no more signal.

2 Dry/Wet knobs, two different implementations.

I'm talking about setting this chain up on the DAW, like:

Code: Select all

[Signal] -------[Gain Control (Wet/Send Knob)]---[Your Send FX]----->
              |                                                |
               ----[Gain Control (Dry Knob)]-------------------

Mid/Side is an obvious scenario
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Brandon203113 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:06 am the guy posting above you seems to think it's obvious but when i adjust the mix knob it doesn't change the amount of gain reduction shown in the glue compressor i have on my channel??? soooo is it really changing the amount of gain going in or nah bro?
FFS, ok look:
the word "WET" means the signal that has been processed by the plugin.

The input gain is the signal that goes into the plugin, and has yet to be processed, so the answer is no. Play with the wet knob as much as you like, but it's not going to affect the input gain.

_al_ wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:16 pm
Play with the wet knob as much as you like
:dog: :lol:

FFS, wet has no defintion.

This is 100% volume:
Now gain reduced
and 100% wet, the signal disappeared
... because Ableton Ping Pong delay implements it like that. 100% wet is 0% input signal on the output.
Your Glue Comp might keep the bypass at 100% from 0 to 100% knob position and only add processed signal, but that's implementation specific.

send technique very helpful for dub delay and reverb bursts. very different sound compared to automating dry/wet

andrewbrewer wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:37 pm send technique very helpful for dub delay and reverb bursts. very different sound compared to automating dry/wet
Yes definitely. You don’t want to automate your delay/reverb tails away.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:21 pm
andrewbrewer wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:37 pm send technique very helpful for dub delay and reverb bursts. very different sound compared to automating dry/wet
oh, don't i? you're not my real dad! :cry:

vurt wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:30 pm
If you were mine you would have been sent straight back to the pound.

ignore me, i thought you said don't automate them anyway. but you said away.
i love me some feedback automation :band:

preferably with a second delay with long delay time and one or two repeats.
fsu with the first delay, tweaking time and feedback, then drop the wet on the first delay. let delay two bloom 8)

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:33 pm
if i was mine it would be a sack and canal job..

vurt wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:36 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:33 pm
if i was mine it would be a sack and canal job..
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The main thing about parallel processing vs insert processing is that the dry and wet signal can be EQ'd seperately from eachother using parallel processing, and, further processing can be added to the wet end.

You could, for example;

Add a delay to a send channel so the delay is fully wet (but with no feedback), then send that delay out to another delay with the same time setting (or go wild and choose a different time). This is sort of like a double tab delay with feedback on a seperate channel. So there are now 3 separate tracks for EQing and processing further, dry, wet, feedback. I like putting reverb on the feedback myself, it has a kind of dubby effect.

Return to “Production Techniques”