Simulate 45RPM record played at 33RPM? Slow vinyl / pitch down effect?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One of my favourite things about playing records is the ability to play 45RPM records at 33RPM.

The problem is not always i have the turntables and records available when playing and recording each and every track i want to play at 33RPM in advance would be kinda painful and leave less space for improvisation.

Am wondering how we could simulate that same pitch shift effect of the slow turntable? It's kinda magic cause it doesn't introduce "Alias" and a lot of times it actually makes a lot of the percussion sound darker and nicer.

Any apps that would do the job ?

Any half-decent audio editor should be able to slow down your audio. 75% is the ratio from 45 to 33 rpm. If it's recorded in a higher sampling rate to begin with, you shouldn't get that much artefacts in the highest frequencies. Maybe 48kHz instead of 44.1kHz is already enough.

There is another thing going on with a turntable on the wrong speed: the RIAA EQ curve gets applied on shifted frequencies. This also accounts for it sounding darker.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:44 am There is another thing going on with a turntable on the wrong speed: the RIAA EQ curve gets applied on shifted frequencies. This also accounts for it sounding darker.
Interesting! I had never considered that.

indeed there is something magical about playing the records at wrong speed that isn't only slowing it down 0.277777777777777% of the speed :P

it's almost like it's worth actually sampling the records from the turntable instead of just slowing down on an audio software

Return to “Production Techniques”