oh resonance , where is thy sting ?..

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lately , i'm working in a new manner , w/ some new kit ,
and i'm liking where it's going , but i'm encountering some issues ...

to wit : resonance ... ( helloooo aalto )

i'm happy w/ the raw sound , but feel lacking in my ability
to scoop some of the resonance out , during mixdown ...
positing that every instance will bring it's own particular issues , i'm
after some general suggestions that have met w/ success for you ...

Could you post an example or two of this unscoopable resonance you speak of?

Russell Grand wrote:Could you post an example or two of this unscoopable resonance you speak of?
i can post an instance , but it will be tomorrow ...

Too much body/mud (low-mids)? Too nasal (high-mids)?
These are things that can often be solved by simple EQ. If it's an over-all character thing (not specific to frequency ranges), it may require some adjustment to the sound itself. I love Aalto but I have noticed that using the waveguide and reverb together often results in a kinda flabby (to much low-mid, lack of dynamic definition) sound which can be difficult to sculpt. I often use a chain of EQ>saturation/overdrive/distortion>EQ, to give myself some additional timbral shaping. The first EQ I might use to shape the low and high end before hitting the distortion/overdive and the second EQ to cut away ugly frequencies introduced by the distortion.

Also, as well as the reverb built into Aalto fits it's sound, I rarely use it. I need to be able to process the sound before it hits the reverb, in more ways than Aalto offers. I'm not saying that as a bad thing. I really appreciate Aalto's streamlined approach but quite often I need an EQ and compressor before the verb.

But the old pump and pull method of eq-ing is always useful. Crank the gain on an EQ band with variable frequency then scan through the frequency range to magnify/amplify the sounds which are clashing in the mix. Once you have found them, pull the gain down until those frequencies are less obtrusive.

justin3am wrote:Too much body/mud (low-mids)? Too nasal (high-mids)?
These are things that can often be solved by simple EQ. If it's an over-all character thing (not specific to frequency ranges), it may require some adjustment to the sound itself. I love Aalto but I have noticed that using the waveguide and reverb together often results in a kinda flabby (to much low-mid, lack of dynamic definition) sound which can be difficult to sculpt. I often use a chain of EQ>saturation/overdrive/distortion>EQ, to give myself some additional timbral shaping. The first EQ I might use to shape the low and high end before hitting the distortion/overdive and the second EQ to cut away ugly frequencies introduced by the distortion.

Also, as well as the reverb built into Aalto fits it's sound, I rarely use it. I need to be able to process the sound before it hits the reverb, in more ways than Aalto offers. I'm not saying that as a bad thing. I really appreciate Aalto's streamlined approach but quite often I need an EQ and compressor before the verb.
thank you , justin ...
that is extremely helpful info , and gives me a few things to try ...

Since I'm slightly less crappy at sound design than mixing and producing, I tend to work first with the source instrument. Your synths have a bunch of tonal controls built in for shaping the sound, they're called Filter Cutoff, Resonance/Emphasis, Filter Envelope etc.
Some light distortion and a compressor or limiter after the instrument help to tame it.
Dynamic EQ can be very useful, especially if the resonant peaks stay roughly the same in frequency but are only intermittent in time.

Use an EQ and your ears to apply the opposite of the resonant peak. No general advice as every case is different. The skill comes with experience.

experimental.crow wrote: w/ some new kit
oh yeah? ...

justin3am wrote:But the old pump and pull method of eq-ing is always useful. Crank the gain on an EQ band with variable frequency then scan through the frequency range to magnify/amplify the sounds which are clashing in the mix. Once you have found them, pull the gain down until those frequencies are less obtrusive.
^^ this.

BTW, love the thread title.

Return to “Production Techniques”