Intro/verse vs chorus kick

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

I listened to Ariande Grande's "Into you" and it, like many other songs, has a weaker kick in the verse and a fuller (=complete) in the chorus. What is the most common way to do this? Using different kicks, playing around with ADSR (of the fuller kick), any other way? Just using HP and LP filter doesn't give me satisfying results.

Thanks in advance :phones:

Don't think anything special is done, filtering or just playing one layer, maybe your kick isn't that good to start with and that is obvious when you strip away some frequencies and emphasis shifts.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

In 'Into You', I honestly don't hear any difference between the kick in the verses vs the chorus. Apart from it being a little bit louder during the chorus, it's still the exact same kick sample.
Turn off your Brain & Turn on your Heart

Oh great, taught I'm half deaf and there's something OP hears that I don't, what maybe also atributes to fullness is another sound in chorus giving it top end.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:Don't think anything special is done, filtering or just playing one layer, maybe your kick isn't that good to start with and that is obvious when you strip away some frequencies and emphasis shifts.
Yeah, I like that one layer thing... I will try that out!

Regarding the kick in "Into you" the most obvious one is that it's louder as you said, but I hear some character difference as well like in more mids and top end... it was more obious when I filtered it.

It could easily be the bleed from another chorus element, know from personal experience that sometimes I really don't need to work so much on a kick's click/top if I have plucky sound/hat/whatever sitting on top of it most of the times.

Return to “Production Techniques”