Delay Cross Feedback makes my brain hurt

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, quick question about Delay cross feedback. I'm using Fabfilter Timeless 2.

I understand (roughly) how normal delay feedback settings work. Essential feedback at 0.000 gives you 1 delay (echo), and then if you increase the feedback amount, some of this signal is fed back in leading to further echoes.

Regarding cross feedback, if you set a cross feedback amount (from Left to Right, say) that equated to three audible echoes, would the signal signal simply appear on the right with tree echoes? And if you also had some cross feedback from Right to Left set up, would some of the Left to Right signal then be fed back the Left due to this Right to Left feedback?

Hope that makes sense! :?

10 feedback-left = (delayed signal-right) * feedback-amount)
20 feedback-right = (delayed signal-left * feedback-amount)
30 signal-right = input-right + feedback-right
40 signal-left = input-left + feedback-left
50 goto 10
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Many thanks for the reply whyterrabbyt.

At fits your explanation also made my brain hurt, but I did a quick experiment with a synth signal panned all the way to one side, and I'm starting to get my head round it. :)

Liney wrote:At fits your explanation also made my brain hurt.
That is because your brain is built like a cross feedback delay, just with a trillion of it called neurons. The moment you try to understand, the brain might explode. But there is hope, as without understanding it, listening will get you closer to grab it.
I made a Max patch, which would have up to 48 or more delay taps, and each can be fead back... With something like that you stop trying to find out whats going on... You just sit back and enjoy the surprises coming out...

Return to “Production Techniques”