Kithairon's YouTube thread

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, I just made this video to teach you some of the concepts I've been learnign throughout the years. But yeah, enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUAj1CGfRLc

No, thanks. My ears are damaged enough as it is.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

not loud enough.. -3dB RMS is so last year! :hihi:
wow and omg, really ??! :lol: :cry: :borg:

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

3ee wrote:not loud enough.. -3dB RMS is so last year! :hihi:
Exactly. We need moar loud. +10 RMS at least.

chk071 wrote:
Exactly. We need moar loud. +10 RMS at least.
this one goes to 11 ...

wow and omg, really ??! :lol: :cry: :borg:
hahaha :hihi:

But,but, but yooochoob makes it quieter

Some good hints how to use EQ that you should keep in mind!
Whereas the video itself could be a little shorter just to cover my typical attention span of 5mins.

What I have scribbled down while watching:

1. Don't boost the signal, only cut.
1.a) Or boost the whole signal and then cut.
2. Cut a bad frequency with narrow-Q and boost wide around same area with broad-Q.
3. Discover bad frequency by guessing first the frequency and then sweep around this area with a peak-Q.
3.a) Don't start scanning the complete spectrum.
4. Playing Tetris: If two elements are clushing in the same frequency area, then boost the one and cut the other in this area.
5. Cut the sub on most elements.
6. The more "analog" (or natural) an instrument is the less drastic EQing should be applied.
7. Do not EQ if it's not necessary.

Bonus: The closer you get from the first production step (sound design) to the last one (mastering) the more gentle you should apply your EQing.

Nice video, thanks!

These EQ tips are basically copy pasta at this point. Seriously.

Whether they are copy and paste or not, they will benefit someone. I disagree with number 4, but only slightly. I've recently realised that 2 instruments can indeed be boosted in the same range, as long as they each have a cut for the other somewhere within that boost.

Edit; I think when you say, boost the whole signal, you are actually refering to the mixer channel volume, rather than the EQ.

Return to “Production Techniques”