Mix Challenge - we've moved... (news and reminders)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello fellow KVR Users, hello fellow Mix Challenge participants...

first and foremost - a ginormous thank you to the KVR community for the last 3 years of having the "Mix Challenge", and giving us a home. Without KVR Audio and it's userbase, we wouldn't have been at the place where we are now. It's been a wild ride with a lot of ups and downs.

I still don't know how to put this into words to be honest. At one point down the road, it really saddens me to "move away the Mix Challenge" from KVR Audio. But I think we (the Mix Challenge staff) are in a position where we can (and actually need to!) start to run, and not just tiptoe anymore.

I'm here to inform all of you, especially our loyal participants, that...
As of 1st April 2017, the Mix Challenge can now be found via https://www.mix-challenge.com - on it's own forum.

Now before there is a huge uproar, let me please try to explain why.

As some of you know, I've been doing statistics about the Mix Challenge behind the scenes since pretty much day 1. And there is (sadly) a certain trend towards 10 users on average per Challenge. Considering the workload that is put into each challenge from the hosts, the song provider and the mix participants, I think we can do better. Drastically better even.

In fact, this correlates with various PM's and mails I got in the last half year alone, the feedback through the Survey (thank you for that as well!). Those being "oh... I didn't know of you, I literally just found you!", others being like "you're too hard to find", even had the rare occasion with "I'm not signing up to xyz userbase just to join". Add to that, the wish to get a Mailing List, branch out to Facebook (maybe even Reddit and now also Minds), this was more than food for thought as you can imagine.

And this is the main reason why we (Mix Challenge staff) decided to fully go to/move to a dedicated place.

The goal is to have one large/stable tree trunk (being the Mix Challenge homepage at it's roots), and then branch out from there (Social Media, third party communities, etc). At a pace and means that wouldn't be possible to us on KVR Audio. As good as this community is (again, can't say it enough, thank you!).

Not only that, a dedicated place / forum opens up certain possibilities.

Those being:
  • users can "subscribe" to sub-forums and threads to always stay informed, even outside of social media (technically possible on KVR Audio too, but not filtered)
  • we can send out a newsletter ever so often to all users signed up to the forum, without the need of an engine like MailChimp or similar, a request that has been made several times to "offer a mailing list" (less engines to handle!)
  • we can have individual Q&A threads
And this is just scratching the surface. We can now supercharge this! Think of different interactions with third party communities, which in turn could offer more participants. This might then open doors for different cooperation partners, new sponsors, etc. Those that hesitated to join so far, or didn't even find the "Challenge" in the first place.

The Mix Challenge is just at the beginning of a roadmap. There are currently a lot of things going on behind the scenes - and I can assure all of our Mix Challenge participants - you will be kept in the loop! (and I'm also sure, you'll like what we have planned).

How do we go from there?

Mix Challenge 30 will still finish here on KVR Audio (should happen the next days). The old MC01 - MC30 threads will remain on KVR Audio as well and are linked to from the Mix Challenge homepage. But beyond that... we're treading new grounds. And I hope, you'll join this new and exciting journey.

Thank you once more!!!
Thank you KVR Audio, a thank you to all song providers, mix participants, sponsors, backers...

Let us celebrate the continuation of the Mix Challenge - with MC31 - on http://www.mix-challenge.com
You're invited to drop by, say hi, maybe stay even.

See you on the flipside! :tu: :party:
Last edited by Compyfox on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Congrats on the new website!

Does this mean I will have to register all over again? my KVR credential doesn't work?

Studio Saturn wrote:Congrats on the new website!

Does this mean I will have to register all over again? my KVR credential doesn't work?
Yes, but still is a well-organised forum focused on the Mix Challenge, so I suppose we are not going to be annoyed a lot with notifications, ads...

Studio Saturn wrote:Congrats on the new website!
Thank you.
The page itself has been existing for a couple of months at this point. But the forum is new.

Studio Saturn wrote:Does this mean I will have to register all over again? my KVR credential doesn't work?
That is indeed the case.
We (the Mix Challenge staff) don't have access to the KVR User Database of course, so your KVR Login won't work.

Also thanks to Jorgeelalto for answering this. Though I can't comment on the notifications and ads "yet".
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

A little bump / friendly reminder (for the new place):
Including today, 14 days left to submit your entry for MC31

A friendly (and final) reminder for the new place:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your entry for MC31

I'll be using this thread ever so often from now on, to inform both old participants and possible interested new ones of what is happening with and/or around the Mix Challenge "community".

As you've probably read at this point, the Mix Challenge moved away from KVR Audio to it's dedicated place. The relocation also offered way more room for expansion. As example, there is now a Facebook page alongside the Twitter stream. And the Mix Challenge is not alone anymore either - there are also new "games" to participate with.

Since September, there is the (currently monthly) running Songwriting Competition. Which runs for 24 days in parallel to Mix Challenge. Similarities to the KVR own "Music Cafe Songwriting Competition" are purely coincidental, as pretty much every bigger music community I know has an own "Songwriting Competition" in some shape or form.

This game is currently in it's third installment, and the current theme is "Cyberpunk (Sci-Fi)".

The new community will still see two additional expansions in December 2017 and January 2018. The first will be a Mastering Challenge (which is reminiscent of the early roots of the "Mix Challenge"), and the second will be a Remix Challenge (which has been requested several times since 2014). Both will be in held in an alternating monthly rhythm - but only if there is enough audio material present.

The hope is to create a game cycle which could start with a Songwriting Competition, then branch out to a Mixing and/or a Remix Challenge, and ultimately end in a Mastering Challenge. The idea was to generate more content to work with...

Though... were it so easy.

As usual, the community is constantly looking for new audio content. Now more than ever. Not only for the mixing challenges, but also for the upcoming Mastering and Remix Challenges. So why not participate?

:arrow: Long story short:
The Mix Challenge is still going strong over on mix-challenge.com

If you haven't heard of this contest yet - why not take a closer look?
And if you're an old cat, but kind of lost track in recent months... we'd love to welcome you back.

Thanks for reading.

There has been a big update on http://www.mix-challenge.com

Since September, there is the monthly running Songwriting Competition. It's run time is 24 days, and this month's theme is "Block Rocking Beats" (genre: big beat). The theme in January will be "Open Mic Night" (genre: free for all).

Mix Challenge #39 is an outstanding "Holiday Mix". We're also breaking tradition with this, as the game won't run from 15th December until 6th January, but actually 1st December until 21st December. The Mix Challenge will go on vacation in January, and continue again in February.

New to the community is a Mastering Challenge. It will run from 1st December until 14th December, and will repeat every even-numbered month (if there is enough source material available).

The final challenge expansion will happen in January 2018 with a Remix Challenge (genre: Electronic/Lofi). It will run in parallel to the Songwriting Competition with a time frame of 24 days, and will trade places with the Mastering Challenge on every odd-numbered month (if there is enough source material available).

:arrow: On that behalf:
The community is constantly looking for new audio content for either challenge (Remixing, Mixing, Mastering). So if you're looking for an alternate mix, or even a remix of your production, then please reach out! No more audio content means no more challenges.

Revisiting the Mix Challenge (community) is definitely worth it. A lot of things have changed. Overhauled rules, new sponsors, way more games to participate in, etc. So why not take another closer look?

Thanks for reading.

A little bit of mid-month promo:
  • Mix Challenge 39/Holiday Mix is still in full swing. The challenge ends on 21st December 2017 (incl. today, 11 days left!)
  • Songwriting Competition 04 with Big Beat as genre ends on 24th December 2017 (incl. today, 14 days left!)
  • Mastering Challenge 01 ends on 14th December 2017 (incl. today, 4 days left!)
  • the Remix Challenge starts on 1st January 2018 (21 days from now)
Share your skills, share your knowledge. Participating is absolutely free of charge.
Just hop over to http://www.mix-challenge.com

Also - we're looking for new content for future challenges (Mixing, Remixing and Mastering).

Hello everyone, and have a great start into 2018.

There has been an update on http://www.mix-challenge.com

New to the community is the final expansion - a Remix Challenge. It will run from 1st January until 24th January, and will repeat every odd-numbered month (if there is enough source material available).

A summary of the current competitions
  • Songwriting Competition 05 will run from 1st January 2018 until 24th January 2018 - genre: Free for all (free genre selection)
  • Remix Challenge 01 will run from 1st January 2018 until 24th January 2018 - base genre: Electronic/Lofi
  • Mix Challenge is on it's annual vacation. The challenge will start again 01st February 2018 with MC40
  • Mastering Challenge 02 will run from 1st February until 14th February 2018

:arrow: A request for help:
The community is constantly looking for new audio content for either challenge (Remixing, Mixing, Mastering). So if you're looking for an alternate mix, or even a remix of your production, then please reach out! No more audio content means no more challenges.

Share your skills, share your knowledge. Participating is absolutely free of charge.

Hello everyone,

• Songwriting Competition 06 will run from 1st February 2018 until 24th February 2018 - genre: Free for all (free genre selection)
  • Remix Challenge is currently on hold due to lack of content to edit/work from
  • Mix Challenge 40 will run from 1st February until 21st February 2018 - genre: 80s synth electronic
  • Mastering Challenge 02 will run from 1st February until 14th February 2018 - genre: Progressive Rock

Hello everyone,

• Songwriting Competition 07 will run from 1st March 2018 until 24th March 2018 - genre: Free for all (free genre selection)
  • Mix Challenge 41 will run from 1st March until 21st March 2018 - genre: Acoustic Instrumental
  • Mastering Challenge is currently on hold due to lack of content to edit/work from

Please also spread the word on Social Media - help get the Songwriting Competition to >10 participants per month.

Hello everyone,

• Songwriting Competition 08 will run from 1st April 2018 until 24th April 2018 - genre: Free for all (free genre selection), theme "Spring"
  • Mix Challenge 42 will run from 1st April until 21st April 2018 - genre: Pop Ballad
  • Mastering Challenge 03 will run from 1st April until 14th April 2018

:arrow: The Mix Challenge Community celebrates it's first anniversary
It's been exactly one year since the move to the dedicated space. Drop by the News and Announcement thread (on mix-challenge.com) and leave a nice comment if you like.

The community is in desperate need for new audio content for either challenge (Remixing, Mixing, Mastering) - though currently, primarily the "Mix Challenge". If you're looking for an alternate mix, or even a remix of your production, then please reach out! No more audio content means no more challenges.

Please also spread the word on Social Media - help get the Songwriting Competition to >10 participants per month.

Hello everyone,

• Songwriting Competition 009 will run from 1st May 2018 until 24th May 2018 - genre: Free for all (free genre selection), theme "Spies among us"
  • Remix Challenge 002 will run from 1st May 2018 until 24th May 2018 - desired genre: free to choose, source genre: 8bit Robo Punk
  • Mix Challenge 043 will run from 1st May until 21st May 2018 - genre: Trance / Dance
  • Mastering Challenge 04 will continue on 1st June 2018

:arrow: A desperate cry for help:
The Song Pool has dried up! The community is in desperate need for new audio content for either challenge (Remixing, Mixing, Mastering) - though currently, primarily the "Mix Challenge". If you're looking for an alternate mix, or even a remix of your production, then please reach out! No more audio content means no more challenges.

Please also spread the word on Social Media - help get the Songwriting Competition and Remix Challenge to >=10 participants per month.

Hello everyone,

• Songwriting Competition 010 will run from 1st June 2018 until 24th June 2018 - genre: Free for all (free genre selection), theme "Fête de la Musique"
  • Mix Challenge 044 will run from 1st June until 21st June 2018 - genre: Instrumental Metal
  • Remix Challenge 002 has been extended and will run from 1st May 2018 until 18th June 2018 - desired genre: free to choose, source genre: 8bit Robo Punk
  • Mastering Challenge 004 will be started on 1st August 2018

:arrow: The Mix Challenge (game) celebrates it's 4th anniversary
It's been interesting 4 years since the Mix Challenge first started on KVR Audio. We've had 43 games since then, it spawned an own dedicated audio community plus even more competitions - and there is no sign of stopping anytime soon (if the Song Pool has enough material that is). Drop by the News and Announcement thread (on mix-challenge.com) and leave a nice comment if you like.

:arrow: A desperate cry for help:
The Song Pool has dried up! The community is in desperate need for new audio content - currently, primarily the "Mix Challenge". If you're looking for an alternate mix, or even a remix of your production, then please reach out! No more audio content means no more challenges.

Please also spread the word on Social Media - help get the Songwriting Competition to >=10 participants per month

Return to “Production Techniques”