Recreating This Bass Sound

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:06 am A lot of synths have a Delay parameter in the LFO, which means you only get the vibrato on longer notes, but Subtractor doesn't have this so you may need to use aftertouch to fake it.
Ha I've got you. BONES is wrong, wrong, wrongeddy wrong! Wrongus in extremis :scared:

Ok, I'll grow up now. We can't expect people from stinky old Orion to know how wonderful it is on Planet Reason. :hug:

LFO 2 has a Delay option: as otherwise explained by Bones of Orion:
As for Velo to Filter then you have two options in the Velocity panel bottom right
https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reaso ... subtractor

:-)

Makes it easier, then. Good find.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

In the video you can see him reaching over to play those pitch bends on the pitch stick but the same could be achieved with an LFO. I’m not sure about the Alpha Juno architecture but it sounds like they are trying hard to make it sound moogy.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

BONES wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:06 am
Eclectrophonic wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:47 amCut off to zero will kill all the sound, so then you modulate that, might sound stupid, but how d'you do that?
Exactly as I said - cutoff to zero, then add envelope modulation. The envelope will then have 100% control of the cutoff frequency, although adding in a bit of velocity modulation will allow you to put some nice variation into it easily.
… wouldn't you turn up the resonance make it brighter? have you got Reason and can explain that using Subtractor?
No, I don't have Reason but the thing to remember with resonance is that it acts around the cutoff frequency so if your filter starts and ends at zero, resonance will be affecting the very lowest frequencies in your sound, as well as the brighter part. That's the secret to getting big, ballsy bass. Looking at the Subtractor GUI, turn Freq to zero, then turn up the Amt knob on the Filter Envelope
I need "velocity being sent to the cut off" explaining too. Not sure what vibrato linked to aftertouch means either. Sorry to sound stupid.
Add a bit of F. Env from the Velocity section. Start subtle, say around 2 o'clock, then tweak it to suit. If you vary the velocity for each note in your sequencer it adds a bit of variety into the bassline, makes it a bit less robotic. As for vibrato, if you watch the video you can see the player wiggling his finger on a key here and there, like he's a guitarist. When he does that you can here a bit of vibrato in the sound. It might be programmed into it or he might be triggering it with aftertouch, I'm not sure. In Subtractor, you'd set that up in the Ext. Mod section (below Polyphony). Select A. Touch and then add a little with the LFO 1 knob. Of course, you'd have to set LFO 1 up for vibrato - a fairly fast triangle wave sent to Osc 1, 2. A subtle amount of modulation will get that nice warble into the sound. If you turn up the amount knob on the LFO you will hear it all the time but if you only have it turned up for aftertouch, you'll only hear it when you want it (assuming you have a keyboard with aftertouch, of course).

A lot of synths have a Delay parameter in the LFO, which means you only get the vibrato on longer notes, but Subtractor doesn't have this so you may need to use aftertouch to fake it.
Can you explain what Aftertouch is, tried looking it up but still not exactly sure. It's something related to velocity is it?

Also, was convinced there was reverb on that bass sound but when I added some it sounded awful but what I've been trying to do on Subtractor so far has sounded awful generally. The sawtooth sound sounds like it's phasing if I have both oscillators selected on the same octave. I thought the pdc which Reason has now would've sorted that. I'm more inclined to think it's a long release on it now but with the filter all the way down the release on the amp envelope won't work.

Your keyboard needs to have aftertouch built-in. It allows you to press down harder on a key while holding a note to add some modulation. On most keyboards that have it it works like an on/off button but on things like a Roli Seaboard you can use it more subtly.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Production Techniques”