Why does a movie soundtrack........

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why does a movie soundtrack, even when I play it loud over my activ speakers, ....why does it not roar.
When I use the same instruments in my DAW and recreate the soundtrack, it roars even with a limmiter ore compressor.

Something I miss here in mixing tech?

Mixing is a lot more than putting a limiter on the master bus. Every instrument needs to have its own space in the mix without too much overlapping frequencies (which is probably the 'roar' you're hearing).

wed need examples for comparison.
otherwise "well clearly youre doing something wrong" is the best we can do.

What do you mean by “roar” exactly?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Reefius wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:22 pm Mixing is a lot more than putting a limiter on the master bus. Every instrument needs to have its own space in the mix without too much overlapping frequencies (which is probably the 'roar' you're hearing).
Hm.

An instrument changes its frequencys within a track.
How do I keep the frequencys from overlapping ?
Does the eq hast to change with the instrument all over time to
keep the frequence picture clean and seperated?

I have a feeling this thread will be a...
classic wrote:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

why does this picture ive painted not look like this one i copied?

Is there a lion hiding in your DAW?

If not, then I'm out of ideas.

Well, OK, in addition to the stuff already suggested, maybe your effects are in fact partly the cause of the problem? For one thing, adding a limiter is more likely to create distortion rather than eliminate it.

It could also be an issue with your arrangement. If you are playing too many instruments in the same register, you could get unwanted interference. Here, you might be better off re-voicing some chords etc. rather than relying on EQ or production tricks.

I think they're asking why movie soundtracks are quiet, compared to the little-to-no dynamic range in mainstream 'audio'. The reason is that no dynamic range sucks ass in terms of emotional contrast. That's about it.

cthonophonic wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:28 pm Is there a lion hiding in your DAW?
:lol:

Just my opinion:
Compared to the good old days, modern soundtrack music tends to be fairly low down in the mix, and also has zero dynamics - the quiet bits are as loud as the, er, loud bits. I think this is because modern acting involves a lot of mumbling.
Listen to an old epic like El Cid - the music is loud in the action scenes, quiet in the meditative, and the actors never mumble.
There are obviously exceptions, in both eras. But older films have less mumbling - Annie Get Your Gun is positively shouty.

Return to “Production Techniques”