MDynamicEq or Nova GE?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm testing both since a couple of days but still not sure which to grab. At the moment I tend towards MDynamicEq because it's lighter on my CPU but Nova seems a bit more versatile. Both have pro and cons regarding the UI. What does the community think? What would/was your choice and why?
Peace
rabbit in a hole

You could go with MDynamicEQ and TDR NOVA 2 free if you want.

Both effects are great.
I regularly use mDynamicEQ, The reason I chose it over Nova is because TDR didn't do VST3 until just the last couple months and were always very set against VST3. In Cubase I need VST to do side chaining, which is very important to me.
MDynamicEQ has great metering and all kinds of filter slopes. There isn't anything that it can't do.
It is also very light on CPU vs Nova.

I like the high shelf in Nova much better as well as the dynamic action. Seems a little smoother. For the previous reasons I listed, I went with mDynamic instead. I don't like the sound of the high shelf in mDynamic but I mainly use it for cutting dynamically so it doesn't really matter. I use other equalizers if I want to add a high shelf.
Overall, both are great and I think TDR might have just released a VST3 version of Nova?

I'm not a bean counter working all day with Excel spreadsheets,
therefore I prefer TDR NOVA :tu:

Have a look at ToneBoosters EQ4. It does dynamic EQ too and has tons of filter types, VST3, external side chain support, multi-channel support, and many more perks......

I've been using it for months now. It's rock solid and I've never looked back at any other EQs.

Have a look at ToneBoosters EQ4.
While you are at that also take a look at TB Flx 3, which is my choice dynamic eq regardless of how many other things sit in my library.

I really like Nova's equal loudness feature, which lets me decide quickly if my eq moves are making things better or just louder.

Calenberger wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:37 pm I'm not a bean counter working all day with Excel spreadsheets,
therefore I prefer TDR NOVA :tu:
:clap: FabFilter ProQ3 also has dynamics and is my goto. After that I'd chose Nova because a dynamic eq is something I use more often and therfore the workflow/interface has to click for me.

Indeed, TDR Nova GE has a VST3 version since a couple of weeks ago, and also some new features such as multi instance learn.

Nova has the "smart ops" features too

https://youtu.be/GNqfyAa1jxk

Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

codec_spurt wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:40 am Have a look at MAutoDynamicEQ as well, you may find a use for it you didn't know you needed yet.
Ditto. :tu:

Another vote for Toneboosters

EQ4 is my go-to as it's incredibly light on the CPU. Nova GE comes out when I need the smart functions!

Thanks for the input. Don't like the ToneBooster stuff - sounded always plastic-y for me. MAutoDynamicEQ is too much the extra bands are useful but the rest is nothing I have use for. I use mostly bell shapes and I mainly use dynamic equalisation for drum bus tracks to give the drums additional rhythmic information or on the master bus for a nice swing. I will do some last tests today but I think MDynamicEq will win also because I can get it for 50% off.
Thanks for the input.

Edit: I always try to keep the amount of plug-ins low. As EQ I use Abletons EQ8, Slick EQ GE, PTEq-X. With Nova and MDynamicEq I will be covered.
rabbit in a hole

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”