Why is iLok license manager so SH!T ???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mgw38 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:38 pm Codemeter implementations differ from developer to developer. I found that the trick with Codemeter is to just leave it alone, no matter how messed up your container structure is. If you start moving licenses from container to container or trying to clean up individual containers you are asking for trouble. This is not a system for OCD people. I wanted to put my Codemeter licenses (Reason, MAAT and now also Vengeance) on a single dongle and that is where it went downhill.

Afaik the Antares does not allow you to put their licenses on a dongle, at least not for Autotune Access.
i use it dongle-less for autotune acces. what irked me about iLok and license was all previous versions/demos i had so many entries for effectively at that time only protools.

I love ilok. It helps reduce gas by ruling out some plugins. I will never use ilok ever again. One day on my last pc, ilok decided to stop opening. Attempting to reinstall it did not help and my previously authorized products would no monger work. I contacted the companies who sold me the products and they said it was an ilok issue so take it up with them. Ilok support basically said they couldn’t help. Not risking that ever again. But thankfully it’s pretty easy to live without the things that use ilok.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:56 pm I love ilok. It helps reduce gas by ruling out some plugins.
:party: my man

I guess the only saving grace here is that I don't actually need a dongle, just the license manager. Seems the actual system of iLok is as flawed as everything, how on earth when registering plugins I ended up with 2 accounts i'll never know, and iLok's support were not helpful at all, and then trying to charge me to move 3 licenses ,well they can pucker up there, not happening.

As for it being a good cure for GAS, definitely limits options i'll be avoiding now, but I REALLY want the Soundtoys collection, maybe one day.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:56 pm I love ilok. It helps reduce gas by ruling out some plugins. I will never use ilok ever again. One day on my last pc, ilok decided to stop opening. Attempting to reinstall it did not help and my previously authorized products would no monger work. I contacted the companies who sold me the products and they said it was an ilok issue so take it up with them. Ilok support basically said they couldn’t help. Not risking that ever again. But thankfully it’s pretty easy to live without the things that use ilok.
This :D

I really don't understand why this point doesn't get brought up more. A lot of registration systems, you can deactivate your licenses on their website (still a pain, but...). Computer blows up? System like that, you log on with another computer and deactivate the license, and it's there to install on a new machine. Elicenser? You go and generate a new activation key. iLok? Your license is just gone (soft iLok at least, but same with dongle if it blows up), and you can't use your software any more (unless you pay them an annual ransom to back the licenses up or something).

Computers break. Sometimes they just up and die without warning, certainly without letting you "deactivate" the license beforehand. iLok can't handle this sadly not unheard of situation without failing catastrophically and leaving you iLoked out of software that you paid for. That alone should be more than enough reason iLok is simply not fit as a copy protection scheme from the user's (or at least my) perspective.

^Yep. It truly is shit. And I understand people bring fine with it because they never had a problem with it. I was one of them. Until I wasn’t. And once you have a problem, there’s nothing you can do.

Two iiLok and two ELic = 4 Dongles on a USB-Hub and never had the slightest problem.

Before buying one plugin after another buy at least good quality PC hardware before blaming the companies.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

mladi wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:42 pm Two iiLok and two ELic = 4 Dongles on a USB-Hub and never had the slightest problem.

Before buying one plugin after another buy at least good quality PC hardware before blaming the companies.
I have a Mac :?
Mac and iLok, please tell me how unprofessional i am

mladi wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:42 pm Two iiLok and two ELic = 4 Dongles on a USB-Hub and never had the slightest problem.

No. I blame the company who could not help me when an unforeseen problem happened. This did not cause an issue with any other licensing for me. Only ilok.

Ploki wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:46 pm

I have a Mac :?
Mac and iLok, please tell me how unprofessional i am
based on your anal postings here: big time

rasmusklump wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:30 pm
based on your anal postings here: big time
:lol:
because I don't like iLok, and apparently i'm far from being the only one?

Get a grip.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:36 pm ^Yep. It truly is shit. And I understand people bring fine with it because they never had a problem with it. I was one of them. Until I wasn’t. And once you have a problem, there’s nothing you can do.
You always need to be prepared that you might encounter the worst case. Problem is that the worst case is pretty bad regardless of what licensing system is used. iLok is no no way different to anything else on the market.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

mgw38 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:14 pm ed to be prepared that you might encounter the worst case. Problem is that the worst case is pretty bad regardless of what licensing system is used. iLok is no no way different to anything else on the market.
That's not true. I have my licenses in a cloud that's synced to two machines. I can download demo versions of U-he and FabFilter from anywhere and just license them - after i done i delicense them.
Nothing ever went wrong with neither of them

And how much extra did you pay for all that to protect the developer's intellectual property when your intellectual property (your music) can't be protected in a similar fashion ?

Over Four Hundred plugins here, not one Dongle and "never had the slightest problem". :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:56 pm I contacted the companies who sold me the products and they said it was an ilok issue so take it up with them.
This is the most important fact when dealing with Third Party CP solutions like iLok and CodeMeter.

The developers who choose to use those services simply leave their paying customers in a position where they might encounter issues the developer themselves can not fix.

They are at the mercy of those Third Parties and so are we if we buy in..... :?

But I guess there will always be developers whose hatred for Pirates exceeds their love for Paying Customers. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Effects”