Why is iLok license manager so SH!T ???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Gamma-UT wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:31 pm I’m not saying avoid it - dongles are arguably less trouble than computer-based C/R because then you are vulnerable to companies simply shutting down their servers. But it’s worth being aware that PACE is eminently capable of messing things up for you in a big way.
Can't disagree with that.

Gamma-UT wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:31 pm But it’s worth being aware that PACE is eminently capable of messing things up for you in a big way.
Yes exactly, which is why I will never be installing that junk on my system again. It staggers me that pro studios use software that can completely halt their livelihood. As a pro it was a major consideration NOT to use these kind of systems. There's always an alternative plugin that doesn't use these outdated, invasive copy protection systems.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

YES! another iLok hate thread. :clap: (unironically, i hate it. i dont but ilok shit, ever.)

This Black Friday, I didn't buy the following due to iLok:
- sonible smart:comp
- soundtoys bundle
- Air Music 500 drum machine

i instead bought Wavesfactory everything and U-he Uhbik. (+ some other stuff)

edit
Also i bought antares autotune because they stopped using it. :D
Last edited by Ploki on Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Or pros just see the benefit of it and like the majority of users have no problems with it either. Each plugin update can mess up your complete project but yeah, copy protection bad :D

KenjiDeVries wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:51 pm Or pros just see the benefit of it and like the majority of users have no problems with it either. Each plugin update can mess up your complete project but yeah, copy protection bad :D
it STILL looks like something that was designed in visual basic 5 in year 1995, and it behaves like that as well.
First version i used looked like 1992.

It's literally the worst coded POS i have on my computer, i bought a separate 500GB SSD just for any pace-related stuff so i can keep it OFF my main system. (i just boot into an external system drive whenever i have to use pro tools)

apparently i'm not a pro because i don't see the benefit of iLok. f**k me right

do_androids_dream wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:42 pm
Gamma-UT wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:31 pm But it’s worth being aware that PACE is eminently capable of messing things up for you in a big way.
Yes exactly, which is why I will never be installing that junk on my system again. It staggers me that pro studios use software that can completely halt their livelihood. As a pro it was a major consideration NOT to use these kind of systems. There's always an alternative plugin that doesn't use these outdated, invasive copy protection systems.
If you’re on Pro Tools you’ve got an iLok anyway. It’s less true of music production now but for things like post-pro you don’t have much of a choice but to use Pro Tools and therefore iLok. If your PT licence is messed it’s game over in any case so any incremental chaos is just icing on the cake.

I remember when i wanted to use my PT11 on Mojave but Avid wouldn't give me the 11.3.2 update. So a random forumgoer from here sent me the license and it miraculously worked with my iLok, who would have guessed? AVID told me to upgrade to subscription.

If I didn't need Pro Tools + iLok because of other people i'd literally douse it in gasoline and torch it.

in any case, i actively not buy iLok plugins. I passed more than a couple already because they used iLok. Vote with your moonee

Peeps keep telling it is so so bad for years now, still PACE is good in business and devs keep protecting their software with ilok. I wonder why. There's an alternative for every plugin. Still peeps buy the software protected with iLok. I wonder why.

Tilly wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:07 pm Peeps keep telling it is so so bad for years now, still PACE is good in business and devs keep protecting their software with ilok. I wonder why. There's an alternative for every plugin. Still peeps buy the software protected with iLok. I wonder why.
Some do, some don't. Some devs do PACE, some don't.

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:06 am
rasmusklump wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:29 am as expected a user error. But the topic still says "shit".
replace error with idiocy
:hihi:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:51 pm Also i bought antares autotune because they stopped using it. :D
So, you wouldn‘t go for iLok but you are ok with Wibu? That is fairly delusional I think. ;)
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

mgw38 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:23 pm
Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:51 pm Also i bought antares autotune because they stopped using it. :D
So, you wouldn‘t go for iLok but you are ok with Wibu? That is fairly delusional I think. ;)
And probably extremely irrational, but so far my very limited experience with CodeMeter far wins over pace. Hey, check with me in a year

Never had an issue with iLok once, already three major malfunctions with Codemeter. It is very easy to corrupt the license containers. At one point only a full system reinstall would help.

mgw38 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:43 pm Never had an issue with iLok once, already three major malfunctions with Codemeter. It is very easy to corrupt the license containers. At one point only a full system reinstall would help.
I've only ever run codemeter with the proper CM dongle.

Codemeter is not at all common on music s/w but very common in other areas - seems to be neither more or less stable/reliable than the other 'common' systems we have to endure/support (flexnet, HASP etc)

Codemeter implementations differ from developer to developer. I found that the trick with Codemeter is to just leave it alone, no matter how messed up your container structure is. If you start moving licenses from container to container or trying to clean up individual containers you are asking for trouble. This is not a system for OCD people. I wanted to put my Codemeter licenses (Reason, MAAT and now also Vengeance) on a single dongle and that is where it went downhill.

Afaik the Antares does not allow you to put their licenses on a dongle, at least not for Autotune Access.

Return to “Effects”