Non-guitar effects for guitar signal?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm creating a looper on a MacBook, and my main instrument will be the guitar, but I don't want it to sound too guitar-like. In other words, I'm more interested in making interesting textures and having a varied tonal vocabulary at my disposal than replicating any pedal or amp. So, I think it would be fun to compile a set of effects plugins (preferably ones that work on OSX) that aren't made for guitar, but would sound cool applied to a direct guitar signal or as part of a chain.

For example, I don't know if this is true or not, but I've always wondered if a waveshaper would be a cool alternative to yet another Fuzz Face clone plugin, since you don't normally get that kind of distortion flexibility out of a pedal. Wouldn't sound anything like typical professional guitar tone, but that's kind of the point. Or a transient shaper, instead of a compressor. Or some kind of dynamic EQ/filter made for synths, applied to guitar. Etc. etc. etc.

Any ideas?

Filters that you can drive into self-oscillation are absolutely marvellous on guitar - like a wah-wah on steroids. :hihi: All kinds of crazy feedback style effects and drone madness can be had. I like the plug n mix 'moogy' filter myself.

try something similar to dblue glitch, can get some nice bits going.
although, the actual answer to the question is "try anything you can get your hands on".
if you're looking for something original, that's where you'll find it.

Preface to my comments below: I know that my recommendation is a guitar-specific environment, and not a specifically non-guitar effect, but bear with me and read Craig Anderton's full review before passing judgement. :)

AXIOM
This is not your average amp sim. It’s a dual-channel (parallel) multieffects based on Blue Cat’s Destructor plug-in, but places it in an effects-laden enviroment. In a nod to their Patchwork plug-in, each channel can also load VST/AU/VST3 plug-ins at the input and output, as well as in effects chains within each path.
Let’s establish at the outset that Axiom’s target demographic is probably the guitarist who likes sound design. It’s not plug-and-play so much as plug, go into a super-cool rabbit hole, play, and then return with sounds that are very popular in Alpha Centauri’s movie industry.
Blue Cat Audio's Axiom is exactly what you are looking for. I'm interested in the same things. Check the two links out:

Blue Cat Audio's Web Page for Axiom:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_Axiom/

The Link to Craig Anderton's Review of Axiom:
viewtopic.php?p=7510982#p7510982
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

If you have access to NI Guitar Rig .. you can get some really interesting sounds out of it that sound more like a synth instead of electric guitar. Lots of LFOs, filters, and the ability to do really weird stuff like combine different amps or control room settings and combine them in a split of crossover setup. if you try it, try control room direct mics, delays and reverse reverbs w/ filters.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... son-chart/
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

IZotope Vocal Synth 2.. Interesting guitar sounds from tweaking the presets

If it's mostly not going to sound like a guitar, there's no point to use a guitar at all. It has its drawbacks - short notes, same envelope always (fast and loud attack that quickly drops then slowly fades), etc. Just use any beep source in your PC - a noise oscillator for example, where you have full control over volume and note length, and the sound itself will be modified by effects - beyond recognition.

But if you absolutely must use a guitar - the most basic places to start are flanger/phaser and delay. This could give you guitar++ sounds, instead of something that sounds like a brain fart.

Or run it through VCV Rack. Plenty of modules to choose from, and most are free.

Do you have any synth plugins that allow you to use an external input? You can run a guitar through it and automate any exposed parameters that affect the external signal path.

Return to “Effects”