Help me understand Crusher-X!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've seen this for years and only lately have I noticed that the GUI seems to have improved, including scaling, Maybe a little less daunting now but still pretty confusing.

Mostly I'm having a hard time understanding how it's polyphonic but is an effect. And it's MPE compatible as well. So it takes live input but also takes midi in to repitch sounds across the keyboard? Typically a granular effect will use the input as the basis of the rhythm/melody and mangle it, but is the idea here that you use whatever input and then play from the buffer it creates? So what is the typical thing do, have a loop going into, with midi routed to it from another track to play it like an instrument?

As a Bitwig user, it's kind of intriguing because although my granular instrument needs are quite met with Bitwig's sampler, the fact that this is an effect could mean that the sound changes depeding on the note played. With Bitwig it is really easy because midi by default goes both to the instrument and the effect that follows. Many times this means you need to filter out notes from one or the other if you want to use a portion of the keyboard for midi effect control, but for Crusher-x it might actually be cool to have notes play an instrument going into Crusher and crusher itself, both responding to MPE. This could be a very unique set up. I can't really thin of any other polyphonic playable effects. Assuming I have this correct at all. I've just downloaded the demo and will give it a whirl at some point.

Generally just curious to hear people's experiences with it. It seems really interesting to me but I'm not sure yet if I want to dive into. I'm skimmed the manual, but hoping to hear some opinions/experiences.

i love granular i have pretty much most the software and even hardware to cover my granular needs. I was close to buying it but the thing is just too intense for me, curious to see the feedback you get here

Yeah I know a few people around here use it. I've downloaded the demo and it's pretty daunting but I'm hoping to hear some experiences. If it were a bit cheaper I'd probably jump on it and take the chance but it ain't cheap. I thought I was good for granular since I've got Bitwig's Sampler plus Omnisphere with it's big multisample library. But the fact that this is sort of an effect/instrument hybrid is pretty interesting.

Return to “Effects”