which LOUDNESS METER

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

iZotope Insight is great, you don't really need anything else. If for some reason you don't like it, Youlen is another great option (I really like it's well thought out graphic design). Also you should try Melda's free MLoudnessAnalyzer:
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MLoudnessAnalyzer

Im still perfectly happy with Sonalksis FreeG.

4 different Ballistics modes, 3 Pan Law modes, Peak and RMS metering at the same time.

Free, rock stable, and besides metering also usable as a VCA providing up to +18dB of gain.

(Automatable of course.)

IMO highly recommendable.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caine123 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:35 pm hey guys im not in the studio and just saw YOULEAN PRO is nearly finished for the BF price. i didnt use many loudness meters so far so i got nearly zero experience with it but i got INSIGHT, Tracks suite.
Just use the free version of Youlean. :wink:
More BPM please

Free G......

"To install Sonalksis Plug-ins (trial versions, full retail versions, FreeG)

download the Sonalksis Plug-in Manager Application from the links above

install the Plug-in Manager Application.

run the Plug-in Manager Application".

Ummm....no. :uhuhuh:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I don't know, I think obsessing over gain staging is counter productive a lot of the time - if you have the basics down, you're pretty much covered today in a digital environment. Sure if you are messing with mixers and recording stuff in to your DAW, it's best to pay good attention to the Signal to Noise ratio, obviously.

I'm kind of curious what most people feel the need for such elaborate loudness metering for. I mean, yeah, it's really handy to have sometimes, but does anyone use it more than that? I'm worried I might be missing out on something.
Here are the cases when metering is very important:

Commercial use

1.Youtube, Spotify, Soundcloud (alot of people are listening on phones, so the louder the "better") ect
2. Sending to labels, especialy big ones. They will judge the track how it is now and not tomorrow and they will compare to whats popular now and how technicly it stands up. Only in rare cases big labels will pay attention only whats behind and if it can be polished.
3. Big festivals. I only saw few djs in the last 10 years that do not cross red on the DJ mixer, therefore the audio engineers add a brickwall limiter .When the track is much less louder (good example is older 5-10+ years old tracks) aka softer when you transition to such track that is naturaly less louder, even with the maximum gain it just doesnt feel right, doesnt punch as well as naturaly loud mastered track, because the brickwall limiter at the engineer end just crushes it and it kills the vibe. So in the end you have to reference the new tracks and their levels.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

The reason it doesn't sound as good is because your ears and your brain are so used to mistaking distortion for loudness. Most people don't understand what real loudness is. I like it loud. Silly loud. I like my hair to be blowing and I like my trousers flapping. You can't get that level of loudness anymore. Not with music made in the last few years anyway.
No, you misunderstud, im not saying it does not sound as good, it sounds good.

But the party vibe is killed then. And people dont care if its louder or not, distorted or not, good or not, they feel that something is off, something is missing. So in their ears its just not good.

Im talking from my own and not only own expierience. And im talking about the big festivals, big areas with 3k - 10k+ people, where the sound quality isnt the best due to "acoustics", where people go to party to their favorite artist they listen on phone/car/tv/computer speakers :D

Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

I find Izotope Insight 2 annoying. The interface feels over-sized in a wasteful way, have to fiddle and configure to see what I want, and the CPU load is higher than warranted. I do use it when I'm really trying to get to details on something, but on my template I have free Youlean in the 2-bus because it's easy to use, simple but has the stuff that matters, and I also found that my TB meter can disagree with my other tools (by just a tiny little bit). So overall I favor Youlean free for convenience, accuracy and a good display.

I considered the pro version when I found out it existed, but I'm not seeing anything I actually want. So I'd say to anyone reading that is just getting started with LUFS metering, don't think of Youlean free as a "free plugin", it's a perfect solution as good or better than most things you can buy.

Teksonik wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:19 pm Free G......

"To install Sonalksis Plug-ins (trial versions, full retail versions, FreeG)

download the Sonalksis Plug-in Manager Application from the links above

install the Plug-in Manager Application.

run the Plug-in Manager Application".

Ummm....no. :uhuhuh:
Im sad to hear that, but im not surprised the way things are generally going.

Anyhow, i have version 1.1.1.0 (which im using and works great), and a set of 3.0.2.0, which also has 64bit DLLs. (Not sure if 1.1.1.0 had them too or not but i dont seem to have any.) Both sets need no installation, i.e. putting a copy of each DLL (Mono and Stereo) in the plugins folder suffices. The plugins create no registry entries and no files/folders anywhere, unless you use the 'Save as Default' feature, (backpanel settings), in which case 1.1.1.0 creates a lonely little 1-string entry in HKCU\Software\Sonalksis. (In the 3.0.2.0 set 'Save as Default' is broken so you never get any registry entries there at all even if you wanted to*. Otherwise it appears to be working normally though and all backpanel settings will be properly recalled on project load too.)

So if you really want to give it a shot, (which i assume you were trying to do), my recommendation would be to find the 1.1.1.0 set because i know its working great and you can save defaults too if you so desire. Alternatively, if you absolutely need 64bit and there are none of 1.1.1.0, i would install their 'manager' or whatever they have in a location which you can wipe, (i.e. a sandbox), and then simply pull out the DLLs. Then you can archive the set in a ZIP or 7z (or whatever) and put copies manually where you need them and whenever you need them since they need no folders or files or registry entries set up in advance in order to run.

(*Newer versions may have had this fixed in the meantime, so check if there is anything higher than 3.0.2.0 out.)

ENV1 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:05 pm So if you really want to give it a shot, (which i assume you were trying to do), my recommendation would be......
Thanks but I just remember using FreeG quite some time ago and thought I would check it out again.

I've got Youlean Pro so I'm good to go...... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I have the pro version YL and I would recommend it. I've compared it against insight and my DAW's loudness meter (Logic). While they're all pretty close, I just prefer to work with YL.

mgw38 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:10 am Definitely YouLean for basic metering. But the most useful loudness tool imho is the Signum Audio Bute Loudness Normalizer. You give it a loudness target profile such as Spotify, Tidal, Netflix, etc and it automatically normalizes your audio to exactly meet the requirements.
Picked it up during this sale, based on your tip from the Bargains Thread. Works like a charm and the processed audio sounds great!

Saves me lots of time I can use elsewhere. :tu:

FYI: I have most of the usual suspects from iZotope, DMG, Tokyo Dawn Labs, even Hornet and a bunch more.
Last edited by MrM777 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”