which LOUDNESS METER

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey guys im not in the studio and just saw YOULEAN PRO is nearly finished for the BF price. i didnt use many loudness meters so far so i got nearly zero experience with it but i got INSIGHT, Tracks suite.
i stumbled on Youleanbecause of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld11Be_ixzY

he seems pretty cool. which loudness meter would you recommend? izotope is often a cpu hog and i dunno how INSIGHT is against YOULEAN

thx
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Youlean Loudness Meter is definitely worth it. Much love in it form the dev and accurate. Besides that I use the one in FabFilter ProL2 as it is my final limiter anyways. And in case I need to be very sure or see unusual behavior I have the Toneboosters EBU Loudness as a backup.

marzelli wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:40 pm Youlean Loudness Meter is definitely worth it. Much love in it form the dev and accurate. Besides that I use the one in FabFilter ProL2 as it is my final limiter anyways. And in case I need to be very sure or see unusual behavior I have the Toneboosters EBU Loudness as a backup.
thx a lot, would you say ProL2 is enough? or does Youlean give much more needed info?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:45 pm thx a lot, would you say ProL2 is enough? or does Youlean give much more needed info?
ProL2 is still a limiter and focuses on exactly that. It's loudness metering is absolutely enough while dialing in the knobs. YLM on the other side is a dedicated plugin which especially gives more info over the timeline of a song and more standards.

For dedicated loudness metering, Youlean's is hard to beat. If you're looking for something for loudness metering and limiting without splashing full price for pro-l2, then Barricade 4 from Tonebooster's is about a third of the price (or less), you also get a nice comp, and input modelling, including very useful clipping options. I have all three and they're all excellent at what they do.

TDR Limiter6 also has loudness metering, but I don't find it as useful as Pro-L2, which is my standard. I have to use it at the end anyway, so I'm glad it has it. Pro-L2 and Pro-Q3 are my most useful metering tools, if not exactly purpose made for that.

I would also say that ADPTR MetricAB is extremely handy for metering + referencing other mixes.

You could use the free version of Youlean and then choose if you pay for the Pro version.

I have tons and only use YouLean.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

Definitely YouLean for basic metering. But the most useful loudness tool imho is the Signum Audio Bute Loudness Normalizer. You give it a loudness target profile such as Spotify, Tidal, Netflix, etc and it automatically normalizes your audio to exactly meet the requirements.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

I have so many meters. started with VU. move to RMS. then this then that. Eventually settling on loudness metering for most tasks. My meter of choice is Youlean. I also use Nugen MasterCheck Pro and sometimes Hornet's meters. The Hornet LU meter is a good low cost option. Youlean is the best bang for buck by a long shot.

Youlean is great, even the free version. I have a number of paid choices but Youlean is what's on the 2-bus.

For an affordable bundle, the ToneBooster Bus Bundle has a rich loudness metering solution, and also comes with the multiband Barricade 3 limiter that is also very good
https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_bustools_v3.html

U got Insight, why would you use another metter. Insight is a beast. You don't need anything else...

He seems pretty cool???? He's a douchey newb handing out capt. obvious advice and just happens to have a decent camera like most of the other "audio gurus" on YT. You probably know more than him and if you don't that's telling. If you want to learn actual recording and mixing tips at least watch Making Records With Eric Valentine. This In The Mix kid is a joke.

Symphony Sid wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:48 am He seems pretty cool???? He's a douchey newb handing out capt. obvious advice and just happens to have a decent camera like most of the other "audio gurus" on YT. You probably know more than him and if you don't that's telling. If you want to learn actual recording and mixing tips at least watch Making Records With Eric Valentine. This In The Mix kid is a joke.
I think it's time for you to take your medicine my friend. Come with me, I will show you the way out. Come take my hand!

Caine123 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:45 pm
marzelli wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:40 pm Youlean Loudness Meter is definitely worth it. Much love in it form the dev and accurate. Besides that I use the one in FabFilter ProL2 as it is my final limiter anyways. And in case I need to be very sure or see unusual behavior I have the Toneboosters EBU Loudness as a backup.
thx a lot, would you say ProL2 is enough? or does Youlean give much more needed info?
Enough for what?

You still have to do reference to other tracks. You can get by without a loudness analyzer if you know what you are doing. Im using t racks 5 meter. Just as good.
I also have tried few analyzers incl youlen and what i noticed on the same settings every one of them showed +/- up to 4 db lufs difference to each other.

But let me tell you this - if you didnt used loudness analyzer before even tho you have it - you dont need it yet and now it looks like you are in a fear of missing out a deal on a popular plugin even tho you wount use it.

Return to “Effects”