Limiters

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HI Greg,
I'm currently deciding between OVC-128 and Standard Clip myself.
I'm curious as to what settings you're using on the OVC to emulate your Standard Clip Setting.
Are you hearing much crackling when you use the R button or is it just every now and again??
I'm using the 100% hard clipping just before the Limiter. I find I'm setting the Output Gain to match the input Gain. Would that be proper usage for just wanting to clip the very peaks to make it easier on the Limiter?? Your posts are always informative and I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks,
Sid

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:05 am
Cooker wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:15 am No Voxengo OVC-128 mentions? :roll:
I just tried the demo, getting almost nulls with my StandardCLIP preset, can't tell the difference in sound on this particular track, BUT IT'S MUCH FASTER WHEN RENDERING OFFLINE than StandardCLIP (despite using a bit more CPU, not sure how that works), so I may have to switch. I shall demo a bit longer!

@Izak and Hermetech, thank you for the replies, much appreciated :tu:

No worries. I didn't get around to checking out what the "R" button did on OVC, and just had the Hardness set to 100 (Hard Clip), as that's also what I use in StandardCLIP (I am going for a little bit of transparent clipping, rather than looking for a "sound" that soft clipping is more likely to give). In StandardCLIP I only ever use the "Clip" slider (no make up gain), so to get the same thing in OVC you have to do the "right click and adjust" thing, so the Gain and Out Gain do the opposite things. That way the level of the unclipped audio stays exactly the same as before.

Will test OVC more and maybe run it through PluginDoctor.

codec_spurt wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:29 pm Anyway, I'm really impressed with Clipped-MAX. I've got some massive gain reduction out of it and it's still super transparent. It's also very easy to use if you just ignore the myriad of options it provides. Literally load it up and just slide the 'Initial' slider to the left. All on the main 'default' preset which you can set to load by default! It gives a nice visual representation of the peaks getting shaved, but really as with all these things, your ears are the final arbiter. It doesn't disappoint.
I agree: Clipped-Max is a beast of a clipper. Probably the most flexible clipper, but still easy to use if you use the default preset and adapt the treshold to your material. And it's still on sale currently.

Just to go back to why I asked this question in the first place, since getting Standard Clip, it's been a bit of a game changer tbh, getting the results I wanted. I have managed to control the kicks and they havent really lost any of their energy.

So thank you all.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Good to hear!

Does anyone use Venn V-clip?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Effects”