I'm done with Waves, they just gave away a FREE plugin!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The problem isn't a "hiccup" during OS update, the problem is that an OS update may leave your plugin(s) completely unusable with no fix until you WUP.

2:43AM wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:18 am Here's how I look at Waves plugin:

90% of their plugins are (or will be at some point) $29.99. They are coded well, work well, and sound good. Don't bother thinking about the resale market; it doesn't exist for Waves plugins. Don't bother thinking about WUP nor consider doing WUP unless you're some super-critical sound studio that can't afford one hiccup in an install process and/or Windows/Mac update. Just think about using a plugin that's cheap, sounds good, and will probably help your mix and creativity. You buy it for yourself...to help yourself.
Exactly. Even if it work only for one or two years, that’s pretty good value for 30 bucks. Really can’t understand why people get so agitated about WUP. Nobody forces you to use it, but for whatever reason some people seem personally insulted that they should pay other people for their work...
I have four waves plugins, three of which I got free, one I payed 29 bucks or so. Don’t intend to pay WUP, but if for some obscure reason some day I have to, it’s not the end of the world, just a couple of bucks. Or I just stop using them, many alternatives around. No harm done.
Every company has the right to chose how they earn money and keep the company alive. And waves have been around for a long long time, and to my knowledge, they don’t obsolete plugins, even their really old ones. Can’t think of many companies that are in the business that long and do that. Native instruments? Heck no. IK multimedia? Nope.

Other companies bring out new versions of their plugins, also charge money for it but they aren’t even compatible so if you need to reopen a project with the old version and that doesn’t work anymore, you’re shit out of luck.

jochicago wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:27 am
jens wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:45 am OSX update... but I certainly don't think you can blame Waves for that
Who else would you blame for Waves' behavior? The OS updates are a problem faced by Every. Single. Developer. I don't see anyone else inventing some new plugin version just to charge for the OS compatibility.
Well, that’s nice of anyone else, but it’s not a universal law that software updates should be free forever, isn’t it?
Anyhoo, where’s the problem? Windows users don’t need to update, and Apple users are used to getting ripped off, they should know what they’re getting themselves into by now ... :D

I still havent recevied a mail with a link to download this free plugin. It said Ill get it in 4h and now already 48h passed and still nothing. And yes, I checked spam folder.

HcDoom wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:51 pm I still havent recevied a mail with a link to download this free plugin. It said Ill get it in 4h and now already 48h passed and still nothing. And yes, I checked spam folder.
That's how it was last year for me, or whenever they gave away the VU Meter. Never got it despite submitting my info. That left a sour taste, and I personally feel that the VU Meter should be FREE 24/7. Consider it an entry in the Waves world, if you will...but nope, that'll be $29.99, lol! Yes, there are free alternative out there; I'm happy with mvMeter.

The drop that made the bucket overflow!

jochicago wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:27 am
jens wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:45 am OSX update... but I certainly don't think you can blame Waves for that
Who else would you blame for Waves' behavior? The OS updates are a problem faced by Every. Single. Developer. I don't see anyone else inventing some new plugin version just to charge for the OS compatibility.
I would have thought I made my point clear enough. On windows there is no reason to pay for WUP in many years. Stuff just keeps working. And that's why I think their system is perfect. You only ever need to pay if you are amongst those who caused them work. That's just fair. I am on Windows so their plugins keep working year after year after year (while moving from 32 bit Win7 to 64bit Win7 to Win8.1 to win10) and I don't get punished for Apple keeping to break stuff. Yay! Win/win.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

> havent recevied a mail with a link to download this free plugin

no
afaik you do not get a link to a download but rather a serial number
which, after login into your waves account, you can register redeem

the download and final licecing is done via wavescentral afaik

i got my redeem - serial after about 12 hours

imrae wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:51 am The problem isn't a "hiccup" during OS update, the problem is that an OS update may leave your plugin(s) completely unusable with no fix until you WUP.
And what's the difference (beside the name WUP) to for example Steinberg ?
When Cubase 9 doesn't work anymore on the most recent OS you have to pay for the upgrade to Cubase 10. That's absolutely normal. I don't get all that WUP drama.

jinotsuh wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:12 pm And I wanted to pay for it, seriously
You can pay for it right now. WUP can be purchased before it expires.

rasmusklump wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:28 pm
And what's the difference (beside the name WUP) to for example Steinberg ?
When Cubase 9 doesn't work anymore on the most recent OS you have to pay for the upgrade to Cubase 10. That's absolutely normal. I don't get all that WUP drama.
Please try to follow the thread and you will immediately understand the difference. When you upgrade to a more current version of Cubase you get additional features and enhancements. People are mainly buying Cubase updates because of those new functions and features, not because they are forced to do it by Steinberg, who has withdrawn support and hidden the installers for your perfectly fine older version of Cubase! With WUP you have to pay for basically nothing.

Steinberg maintains support for and fixes bugs in older versions of Cubase 2 - 3 generations back and allows you to re-install them without any preventable hassle, while Waves makes it deliberately hard for you to install the plugins you have paid for if they are not "WUPped" to the latest version.If people perceived Steinberg's upgrade practice as being equivalent to Waves, you would find tons of negative threads about it. But it's Waves with their WUP which causes concern and a lot of negative feedback from the user base, not Steinberg.

There is so much untrue stuff in this reply that I don't even bother ....

rasmusklump wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:05 pm There is so much untrue stuff in this reply that I don't even bother ....
Simply accusing someone of lying without backing it up is not really a reasonable argument! What exactly did I get wrong according to your perception?

Waves does allow to reinstall older versions, even if you bought a v11, you can get v9 if you want that. Its just bad for slow internet connections, as you download all plugins and then select during installation. I don‘t see a huge difference between WUP and other upgrade policies. Any cp is complicated for the honest user... There had been times where WUP was more expensive than buying the next bigger collection on a sale, but it seems they stopped this strategy... (as it would allow to sell the older collection...)
The companies which have their own licensing system like Waves, Steinberg, Izotope, NI etc. pretty much work quite similar and usually reliable. I never had real problems with any of them. Of course users prefer the u-he way of cp...
And the bigger the company and the bigger the market share the more complaints you will read. The happy users just use it and make music...

Another free plugin available now: One-Knob Wetter. Get it now! :D

OK, so I have a side-rant: I am no proponent (i.e. fanboy) for Waves and WUP, and I did previously offer advice regarding the use of Waves, the cheapness, and what they're good for...but this recent sale has me a little miffed.

This is in regards to the BF sale, "buy any 2 plugins and get 1 free." I'm miffed because in my error, I didn't read into the fact that the freebie is from a set list of OK plugins. Learned that after the fact of buying my two plugins. I was under the impression that I could choose any plugin free as long it was equal or lesser value than lowest in my cart. Not the case. That was my fault; got nobody to blame but myself. But now I see that the Cyber Monday sale is this way! :dog: And in the long run, by using vendor coupon codes, the total cost may actually be a little cheaper now than the BF sale.

And there were some serious stipulations with the previous sale as well. Apparently, in order to qualify for your freebie, you must have registered the two, purchased plugins by 5AM EST this morning! If not, then no freebie! I hope all of you registered! Furthermore, your freebie from the list must be registered before 12/24/19, I believe.

In CM's sale going on now, you can buy any 2 plugins and choose 1 for free as long as it's $29.99. Just be sure to check the fine print!
Last edited by 2:43AM on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”