E-Phonic XPressor v1.05 (free)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Running fine and stable in latest Reaper on Mojave. A few things I find weird though: with Hard Clip and Drive at 0%, having Gain at 0 dB keeps the signal at the exact input level. But with Soft Clip and Drive at 0%, the signal level drops by 6 dBfs and there are added harmonics. With Wave Folder and Drive at 0%, the signal level drops by 0.1 dBfs and there are added harmonics. So 0% Drive obviously does not turn off the clipping completely. Sending in a sine at -0.1 dBfs peak, i.e. a signal that doesn't reach the magical 1.0 peak value yet, all of the Drive variations (soft, hard, folding) already introduce harmonics, where usually only soft clipping would do that. Hard Clip and Wave Folder both seem to operate at -6.1 dBfs rather than 0.0 or -0.1 dbfs. Wave Folder also seems to take what I call the 'lazy approach' and fold the signal between -1/+1 only. Doing that will, with enough drive, turn the peak value of a positive sample into a negative one, throwing the phase of the entire signal out of balance. IMO, it would be a better approach to fold positive samples between 0 and +1 and to fold negative samples between -1 and 0, this keeps the polarity of the signal in tact. (No conditionals: store sign, fast abs, fold between [0,1], add sign back) The filter your oversampling uses seems to be a bit on the weak side, especially the higher the oversampling ratio goes. At 8x oversampling, it seems to only drop by 12 dBfs between around 17 and 22 kHz, which is definitely not aggressive enough to filter out the myriads of harmonics generated by the clipping. So while it may be processing more samples, there's still an insane amount of aliasing with only moderate clipping. I'd add an option to switch between CPU efficient or HQ effective filtering modes. What exactly does the Dynamics knob do?
Confucamus.

@Rockatansky
Thanks for your feedback! I agree, some things can still be improved.
As for the Dynamics knob, it pushes the audio in to a look-ahead limiter up to +20dB.

PJ

Cool! And welcome back. Beta is freeware - does it mean that it will be later released as payware plugin? And also - if I donate it, does it mean that I get my own reg code?
yzcoruhT

U-o wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:16 pm Cool! And welcome back. Beta is freeware - does it mean that it will be later released as payware plugin? And also - if I donate it, does it mean that I get my own reg code?
Thanks! No, this plugin will remain free. I've added the registration process so I can get some good feedback on this before I make payware again :-)

Do you plan to update Drumatic4 at some point, too ? It's still a nice drum machine :)

sinkmusic wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:16 pm Do you plan to update Drumatic4 at some point, too ? It's still a nice drum machine :)
Yes please😎

monophonK wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:20 pm
sinkmusic wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:16 pm Do you plan to update Drumatic4 at some point, too ? It's still a nice drum machine :)
Yes please😎
Yes, please + add LOFI too 😀
yzcoruhT

U-o wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:36 pm
monophonK wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:20 pm
Yes please😎
Yes, please + add LOFI too 😀
Drumatic 5.. And it was 4 years ago!!

Yes, I still want to. But the same goes for RetroDelay.
But let's get this thing running on OSX properly first :-)
So far, some get it running properly, others not.
Last edited by e-phonic on Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e-phonic wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:51 pm RetroDelay
:hyper:
One of my favourites from the 32-bit era.

32 bit please!!!

:pray: :help:

Turello wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:14 pm 32 bit please!!!

:pray: :help:
Yes please.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I just gave it a go in Wavelab 10 on Windows 10

- does not work on mono files and produces a very loud beeping sound.
- does work on stereo files, but introduces a "phasey" sound, when playing with the wet/dry settings

shoma wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:20 pm - does not work on mono files and produces a very loud beeping sound.
- does work on stereo files, but introduces a "phasey" sound, when playing with the wet/dry settings
Thanks for checking. The plugin should not run in mono mode currently. I'll fix the check for that.

About the phasy sound. Some questions:
Are you using the plugin as insert or send effect?
What samplerate, oversampling factor are you using?
Do you also hear the phasey sound when using no oversampling?
I'm asking because the plugin should tell the host about the delay compensation the plugin uses. If this fails the dry and wet signal will not be aligned and cause phasing.

Thanks,
PJ

There is nothing like a send effekt in Wavelab. :-D You just load an audio file and put any effect plugin into the fx-rack. I Ithink this is more like an insert. I will check later in Cubase 10.5 where I can choose between insert and send.
I tried no oversampling and 2x oversampling so far, but the phasey sound occurs in both options. So I think the plugin does not report latency to Wavelab or Wavelab does not get it right. Otherwise...I never had any phasing issues with other plugins when playing with parallel compression and the wet/dry signal

Thanks for the free plugin :-)

Return to “Effects”