The $1,500 USD Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

reggie1979 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:35 pm Oh I hate that guy. :lol:
I saw a couple of this guys vids floating around and watched a handful, but semi-recently he made a video that went viral where he's like "I've just heard about this thing called aliasing" and I just thought "wow." I would swear I've seen this guy looking at things through scopes and also just making a lot of videos where he listens to things prior to that and I'm agog anybody took him seriously after that video.

Worse, that video has created a whole swathe of non critical listeners using scopes to find flaws in plugins. We had this in the LION thread recently. Loads of people posting scope images and/or saying even the sine wave generators alias. I (correctly to blow my trumpet for a second) pointed out that they were seeing distortion, but in the spirit of politeness i didn't point out at the time the more prescient fact that it clearly sounded like distortion if we're actually using our ears for a moment. Cue someone saying "well if you generate a saw wave at 16 kHZ you can clearly see aliasing" and OH MY GOD SAVE ME FROM THE MESS THIS VIDEO MADE PLEASE.

I've seen (though usually not all the way through, I can't take it) maybe 5 or 6 of his little bits. "Those" guys and his in particular are very repetitive. "Me me me me, listen to me, I'm your daddy" on and on. Other people "review" things w/o being all about them, I'll watch those.

There was that "tube" EQ some years ago that was a couple grand wasnt it?
And like four instances added audible white noisey shit to an empty channel. :hihi:
ImageImageImageImage

A plugin? I dunno, did Elton John use that one too? :hihi:

reggie1979 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:34 pmI'm your daddy
Americans are weird.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Not as weird as Canadians :hihi:

reggie1979 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:57 pm Not as weird as Canadians :hihi:
:lol:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

reggie1979 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:35 pm Oh I hate that guy. :lol:
I only had to watch one of his snake oil videos to know that his videos are garbage and he doesn't know a damn thing that he's talking about.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

I'm a re-recording mixer, so this plugin is targeted at people like me, and at facilities that basically mix film,tv and streaming stuff all day. Bulk licensing refers to facilities getting this for each of their back-end machines, because if you're mixing shows on Protools with S6 or D-Control/Command controllers, you're running multiple machines at the same time, with at least two re-recording mixers working at the same time on their area of a mix.

$1500 is steep, but it's actually ok if it improves my workflow to a significant degree. I use plugins based on how much time they save me and how much of a difference in sound quality they can provide.

Musicians and music mixers are unlikely to get a big workflow boost from a plugin like this, but re-recording mixers will.

The workflow advantages are significant when you can automate the order of your processors. The DSP comes from the Harrison MPC-D consoles, which can automate routing as well, so I'm not surprised the plugin version can reorder processors, just like the Omni Channel by Waves. This one however targets dialogue and effect mixers.

I'd love to get this, but $1500 is a little steep for me, and my dialogue tracks are well setup already. They have a pre and post-compressor EQ :) .
Will mix for fun

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:46 am
Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:42 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:04 am
jochicago wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:43 am Pro Tools only.
It does take a special type of tool to dump this much on a single plugin.

That said it’s a brilliant business decision. You only need a few to sell to generate a sizeable income and there will always be a few just so they can brag about having it.

And then these users aren’t going to be noobs and/or hobbyists so they won’t use support.
It’s designed for use with the Avid control surfaces. Basically putting the Harrison console functions (from the bigger post-production lineup they have) into software that can be controlled by something not quite so big like the S6 that costs in the range of $60k. A studio is paying for the integration with the control surface and the fact they don’t sell many (NRE divided by small customer base is bigger number, duh).

And they will use support because this thing is all about integrating into a customised rig.

If you have console envy I believe you can pick up the EQ part of this for 70 bucks.
Ok thanks for that. Given the added context it doesn’t sound overly expensive. It’s a lot of money, yes; but expensive?
Yes it does, and yes it is. No software should cost that much. Luckily, the “pro” world still has people who believe that content-creation tool software is justified to cost $600 and above. I’m done buying software for many hundreds of dollars. 3D software, 2D graphics packages, audio software...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

airon wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:04 am I'm a re-recording mixer, so this plugin is targeted at people like me, and at facilities that basically mix film,tv and streaming stuff all day. Bulk licensing refers to facilities getting this for each of their back-end machines, because if you're mixing shows on Protools with S6 or D-Control/Command controllers, you're running multiple machines at the same time, with at least two re-recording mixers working at the same time on their area of a mix.

$1500 is steep, but it's actually ok if it improves my workflow to a significant degree. I use plugins based on how much time they save me and how much of a difference in sound quality they can provide.

Musicians and music mixers are unlikely to get a big workflow boost from a plugin like this, but re-recording mixers will.

The workflow advantages are significant when you can automate the order of your processors. The DSP comes from the Harrison MPC-D consoles, which can automate routing as well, so I'm not surprised the plugin version can reorder processors, just like the Omni Channel by Waves. This one however targets dialogue and effect mixers.

I'd love to get this, but $1500 is a little steep for me, and my dialogue tracks are well setup already. They have a pre and post-compressor EQ :) .
Maybe I just don't understand what it can do that other things costing so much less can.

Algorithmix Red?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

On sale now for $99

$88 at JRR and PluginDiscounts

Ends 12 Noon GMT 22nd January

Maybe they'll finally sell one.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I wonder: are their plugins reliable?

A few years back, I bought a license for their DAW and from purchase, over download, installation, activation, to the compatibility with any plugin whatsoever and the recording performance and stability, as well as terrible communication about these issues, this was such a complete nightmare, I would not pay a single Dollar for anything from them, ever again.

Have they become a professional company which would warrant relying on a still pricey plugin?
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Return to “Effects”