VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

so 1k less than SAW Studio

Good lord... :?

jancivil wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:06 pm so 1k less than SAW Studio
:hihi:

But will is sound as good as this plugin?

Elektronisch wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:30 amThis reminds me a bit of 1 million dollar system for sonic idiots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr8O_jZhpl4 :-D
I prefer this version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mimaImLrmfU

Oh I hate that guy. :lol:

reggie1979 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:35 pm Oh I hate that guy. :lol:
I think at this point people posting those videos here are just trolling us :cry: :hihi:

jochicago wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:50 pm
I think at this point people posting those videos here are just trolling us :cry: :hihi:
Until you've suffered through a Scotty Kilmer video you ain't seen nothin' yet.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Is this Buy one, get a PC for free???

I want better shhound...

don't we all dear.

I do believe people hate this guy because he is not polite and doesnt shy to say things how they are under all the bombastic shiny presentations and gives some critical thinking and listening, which people do lack really, but it doesnt nesceserely mean its a bad thing, because it can be a curse. I actually like the guy, he's funny :)

In the end i suppose it results in touching some guys soft spot and i guess making them feel hurt a little bit ? :) i mean if your favorite plugin you always gonna use is being said that its really a crap or just another variation of something else to milk money, i can understand it can be felt hurt :)

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:44 am
I do believe people hate this guy because he is not polite and doesnt shy to say things how they are under all the bombastic shiny presentations and gives some critical thinking and listening, which people do lack really, but it doesnt nesceserely mean its a bad thing, because it can be a curse. I actually like the guy, he's funny :)

In the end i suppose it results in touching some guys soft spot and i guess making them feel hurt a little bit ? :) i mean if your favorite plugin you always gonna use is being said that its really a crap or just another variation of something else to milk money, i can understand it can be felt hurt :)
Been watching from the early days of his channel, and I really like his videos.

I can see why he annoys people. He has an air of precociousness, and does get a lot of shit wrong. However, I always got the impression he is genuine e.g with his attitude towards sponsorship and product placement.

The whole 'Snake Oil' concept seems to be the most divisive, love-it-or-hate-it element in his repertoire, which is a shame because it could be something quite valuable (We don't need more content-creators sugar-coating reviews for sponsorship, we need people telling us when something is shit). However, unfortunately Wytse undermines the whole thing by not bothering to learn how the plugins function, leading to him dismissing a product for reasons borne of his own ignorance and bloody-mindedness. He doesn't always get it wrong, but it's always inexcusable when he does.

Even if you disregard the Snake Oil issues, there are other things that he gets wrong. However, I don't think he's claiming to be an expert. He is clearly passionate, and has a lot of experience. It's not often that someone of his age, at least in this era, would be expected to take on ambitious analogue-desk restoration projects, or building hardware units from kits. And he does have a lot of diverse content, in which he gets a lot right.

Whether you like him or not, his channel makes a change from a sea of clone-channels, producing the same content, pedalling the same pre-video adverts. I very rarely miss one of his videos :tu:

Edited: for a really bad spelling mistake!
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:18 am He has an air of procoiousness, and does get a lot of shit wrong.
Simple as that.

I personally don't feel disrupted (I'm older and somewhat experienced), some of it is fun to watch and I know enough to not be influenced by his opinions outside of my own.

My concern is for the community. Reading a lot of people that quote this dude like he said something smart. Anyone that doesn't trust their own ears and skills should stay away from opinionated people that barely know what they are talking about and speak with the certainty of masters. If you ever watch a video by this dude and think "interesting, I hadn't thought of that" do yourself a huge favor and watch people like Pensado instead.

At a personal level, in these days of "alternative facts" I'm pretty sickened by anyone that jumps in the discourse to muddy the waters. And it is offensive to have a teen-acting dude load up a CLA compressor and pretend to judge it like he has the chops to determine if a plugin that's been on countless Grammy-winning records is "snake oil". The implication, not just that CLA and Waves are peddling BS, but that every pro producer in the last 10 years is stupid and using garbage in their studio. Seriously, if that's not offensive I don't know what is.

jochicago wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:34 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:18 am He has an air of procoiousness, and does get a lot of shit wrong.
Simple as that.

I personally don't feel disrupted (I'm older and somewhat experienced), some of it is fun to watch and I know enough to not be influenced by his opinions outside of my own.

My concern is for the community. Reading a lot of people that quote this dude like he said something smart. Anyone that doesn't trust their own ears and skills should stay away from opinionated people that barely know what they are talking about and speak with the certainty of masters. If you ever watch a video by this dude and think "interesting, I hadn't thought of that" do yourself a huge favor and watch people like Pensado instead.

At a personal level, in these days of "alternative facts" I'm pretty sickened by anyone that jumps in the discourse to muddy the waters. And it is offensive to have a teen-acting dude load up a CLA compressor and pretend to judge it like he has the chops to determine if a plugin that's been on countless Grammy-winning records is "snake oil". The implication, not just that CLA and Waves are peddling BS, but that every pro producer in the last 10 years is stupid and using garbage in their studio. Seriously, if that's not offensive I don't know what is.
Firstly, I had to go back and correct that hideous spelling mistake (typing quickly on iPad is my excuse, and I'm sticking to it). Secondly, I think he gets more right than wrong.

I don't remember the CLA episode, but the idea of snake oil is not so much about whether plugins are good or not, but whether the hype is justified. Whether Waves plugins are good is not the point, if your aim is to demonstrate that they don't live up to the marketing spiel. Not saying he was right (Like I said, I don't remember seeing it), but I wouldn't immediately dismiss someone's opinion (Not just talking about his) with an appeal to the authority of "every pro producer in the last 10 years".

I do agree that it's an issue when people don't realise where he misses the mark. And I include myself in that. However, my motivation for watching are not solely to learn. I find his content and presentation entertaining, and I'll easily discard what misses for what hits :shrug:

If you think that's expensive, think again. Cedar Audio has plugins that cost about $3000, like this DeBuzz for Pro Tools.

Return to “Effects”