McDSP 6050 on sale

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Currently under $50 at outlets (see Every Plugin).

For those that don't know about this thing:
- It's 25+ modules of: compressors, eqs, other dynamics (like gate), and 3 saturators
- Sounds positively great
- It doesn't use CPU, runs on magic
- Slightly superseded by 6060, but it's mostly the same thing

You are buying great-sounding modeling of things like LA2A, 1176, Fairchild 670, Neve VCA, etc, for less than $2 each. I probably sound like I work for McDSP and I don't (but I won't reject a commission to my bitcoin account, contact me). But seriously, this is the thing I recommend for those that are trying to get off stock plugins. The compressors and saturators will take you to the next level. I don't use the eqs because I'm already hooked on visual parametrics, but for the analog eq lover this is also a paradise.

Slate VMR User here.
How would you compare the Two?
Very Tempting at that Price...
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:42 pm Slate VMR User here.
How would you compare the Two?
Very Tempting at that Price...
Have and use both. My opinion: Slate is more subtle and within more typical limits. McDSP has more vibe and colours outside the lines. Not that McDSP is better - having more subtle sweet sounding middle-of-the-road sonics like Slate is a good thing. But when I want more the 6050 can do it without being an overt "effect". I dont mind the workflow of either - I am pretty adaptaptable. Nothing bad stands out. for under $100 for 6050 is a great deal in terms of what you get compared to other similar plugins. the 6050 has so many modules and decent enough workflow and UI that its just sometimes fun to experiment with it.

6050 is a wonderful tool. I also have the 6060 and it feels overkill almost. And in all honesty, for me personally anything McDsp just sounds so good... my go-to HPF/LPF is still the F202 and it's one of the oldest plugins I can remember... (was it even before the year 2000?)
The fact that you can load the 6060 with every imaginable combination of compressor, EQ, tape, saturation and more... split the signal and still hit less than 1% cpu is amazing to me (and of course, at an amazing quality the sound). :tu:
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

what are upgrade prices to 6060 ?

escalona wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:05 am 6050 is a wonderful tool. I also have the 6060 and it feels overkill almost. And in all honesty, for me personally anything McDsp just sounds so good... my go-to HPF/LPF is still the F202 and it's one of the oldest plugins I can remember... (was it even before the year 2000?)
The fact that you can load the 6060 with every imaginable combination of compressor, EQ, tape, saturation and more... split the signal and still hit less than 1% cpu is amazing to me (and of course, at an amazing quality the sound). :tu:
Would you compare the quality to some big name? UAD, PA ??

Edited

Raddler1 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:40 pm Would you compare the quality to some big name? UAD, PA ??
For me, well-designed things get to a point where they are functional, they get the job done and there's nothing wrong with them. Some people fall in love with them, some swear by them, but anyone can grab and use and find no fault.

These modules haven't been updated in ages. Even with the 6060 they didn't "update" their character, just added more features. This is because they've had them "right" all along so there's nothing to update. Keep in mind that they are not meant to be "perfect" replicas to a particular hardware unit sampled. McDSP wanted to capture the spirit of the machine in the McDSP style.

In summary: for what they are they are perfect. Is it particularly better or worse than anything? IMO No. This is McDSP's take on classic comps and some new ones. Someone may have a different take, but there's no faulting the sound of these modules. They are not noisy, or distort oddly, or squash the stereo width, or needlessly add gain, or an unexpected eq curve. They just do their thing following along the spirit of the units they try to emulate, and they do so well, and they sound good in the process without any notable funkiness, and with very minimal CPU. Perfectly good modules.

jochicago wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:14 pm
Raddler1 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:40 pm Would you compare the quality to some big name? UAD, PA ??
For me, well-designed things get to a point where they are functional, they get the job done and there's nothing wrong with them. Some people fall in love with them, some swear by them, but anyone can grab and use and find no fault.

These modules haven't been updated in ages. Even with the 6060 they didn't "update" their character, just added more features. This is because they've had them "right" all along so there's nothing to update. Keep in mind that they are not meant to be "perfect" replicas to a particular hardware unit sampled. McDSP wanted to capture the spirit of the machine in the McDSP style.

In summary: for what they are they are perfect. Is it particularly better or worse than anything? IMO No. This is McDSP's take on classic comps and some new ones. Someone may have a different take, but there's no faulting the sound of these modules. They are not noisy, or distort oddly, or squash the stereo width, or needlessly add gain, or an unexpected eq curve. They just do their thing following along the spirit of the units they try to emulate, and they do so well, and they sound good in the process without any notable funkiness, and with very minimal CPU. Perfectly good modules.
Agreed. To me they are like an Acustica Audio Acqua - Lite. Not as overt and over the top like the AA products but not as clean and subtle as say Slate or even more PA. They are a "safe" take on an analogue modelled sound.

Call me stupid but…

Can anyone tell me what the difference between HD and native is… except for the price tag? I am new to the McDSP world, and the descriptions do not explain.

£38 at plugin boutique plus you get an £85 loopcloud bundle thrown in for free. Tempted...
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ralfrobert wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:18 pm Call me stupid but…

Can anyone tell me what the difference between HD and native is… except for the price tag? I am new to the McDSP world, and the descriptions do not explain.
Absolutely no difference in sound, one is fro PT HD and the other (cheaper one ) is for native systems (AU /VST etc)
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

ralfrobert wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:18 pm Call me stupid but…

https://www.mcdsp.com/support/plug-in-s ... -1080-1250 :tu:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Thanks. Missed this on the site. I am able to read actually. :)

The only thing that keeps me from buying is the restrictive copy protection. No offline soft iLok.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”