find out what scale/notes a song consists of?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey guys, i read that melodyne can pretty well decypher the scale/harmony of a song?
im totally bad in this and e.g. i listen to a song and love the tone of it but cannot decypher the notes and try to re-create the notes to seem to find out the harmony of the song. is there any tools (if melodyne tutorial?) how to do it? e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p578E7tC9EA

would love to find out the notes and know then which scale it is. any tips appreciated besides music theory/go to school, i read some harmony tutorials atm but it takes time ;). thx
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Check out Hornet Plugins Songkey MK3 - it´s on sale right now!

https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/h ... ngkey-mk3/

Keep trying to do it with just your guitar or piano. You want to train your ears, right?

You are currently reading my signature.

trewq wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:44 pm Keep trying to do it with just your guitar or piano. You want to train your ears, right?
I agree with this. If you give up trying you will never be able to do it, but practice will get you there.

With time invested, practice, and familiarity your ears will become sharp enough that you can do this sort of thing without too much trouble. Or even effort, really.

Hornet songkey is great though. Seconded.

IRCAM The Snail

This is a good demo of how to use your ears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imj7FniRzyY
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Mixed in key, all their software is useful.

trewq wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:44 pm Keep trying to do it with just your guitar or piano. You want to train your ears, right?
If that’s what your ambition is go ahead, but if what you wish for is ‘fast results’, then there’s enough software to help you out with this and instantly get the desired result. I understand what you’re saying, but as it seems nowadays this isn’t always the case.

Back to op, check out hornet songkey and melodyne to extract the scale etc from the audio, there’s lots of tutorials, at least for melodyne!

Calenberger wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:54 pm IRCAM The Snail
I have this program laying around, I once got a ‘nfr’ version, but never knew it could be used for these purposes, care to elaborate?

This site is really good, I use it all the time to look up what key and scale a song is! Great suggestion and very easy to use

intheboxx wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:40 am
If that’s what your ambition is go ahead, but if what you wish for is ‘fast results’, then there’s enough software to help you out with this and instantly get the desired result.
But it’s not instant, is it? I’m pretty sure I can pick up a guitar, or play the piano or sing a tune much more quickly than loading up software. Once I’ve done that, I already know how to play it on that instrument - using software I would know what the music looks like, but would still have to learn it.

Training your ears will get there there faster once you’re practiced, but if you head for software to help you then you’re not getting the practice in.

Jury's out on developing perfect pitch, but you absolutely have to develop relative pitch at some point -- music is a hearing art first and foremost.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

I'm old school (I know jack about music theory) - I just play along, you soon pick it up. Unless it's The Black Page, or something.
Nm.

Return to “Effects”