So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

schroedingers guitar rig :ud:

vurt wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:39 pm
CapnLockheed wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:23 am
You're a douche................. lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not really....THIS is a douche.

so that's not a bong?
ffs.
Maybe THC will be absorbed into the blood faster through the colon walls?

are you suggesting i shove a cookie up my arse?
ok.

Instant chocolate chip!

Doing a little digging, NI's Massive seems to have had a small update to version 1.5.5, within the last couple of years. This seems, though I'm happy to be corrected, to have only been released to fix a preset-library bug, and to allow for user data-collection (For MX, presumably). Previous to that there had been no updates since November of 2015:

https://www.kvraudio.com/versions.php?p=2490

Guitar Rig, on the other hand, received it's last update in June of 2016:

https://www.kvraudio.com/versions.php?p=980

So, it would actually have been easier to make the argument (If you are disposed to such speculation) that Massive was DEAD-er than Guitar Rig. And yet, we now have the re-imagined update/spiritual successor to Massive, in the form of Massive X.

So why not just keep updating the original Massive? Why leave it with no updates, which apparently signifying it's ABSOLUTE demise? Probably because it was too old of a framework to play host to the abundance of features that NI had planned. Better to start from scratch, with absolutely zero point in updating the 'legacy' version, save for bug-fixes and OS-compatibility fixes etc.

As i suggested, previously in this thread - If NI are going to update GR - And I have no proof, either way (A minor detail that's important to at least a few of us) - , then they have a lot of ground to make up. Even just bringing the graphics up-to-date might justify the re-write. However, considering how far amp modelling, fx design etc, has advanced in the last few years, they'd surely need to start from-the-ground-up :shrug:

So yeah! GRX...Maybe :tu:

It's DEAD. Move on. Please stop shooting the messenger.................it HURTS! (and there is much blood, not good for the carpets)

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:55 pm Doing a little digging, NI's Massive seems to have had a small update to version 1.5.5, within the last couple of years. This seems, though I'm happy to be corrected, to have only been released to fix a preset-library bug, and to allow for user data-collection (For MX, presumably). Previous to that there had been no updates since November of 2015:

So, it would actually have been easier to make the argument (If you are disposed to such speculation) that Massive was DEAD-er than Guitar Rig. And yet, we now have the re-imagined update/spiritual successor to Massive, in the form of Massive X.

So why not just keep updating the original Massive? Why leave it with no updates, which apparently signifying it's ABSOLUTE demise? Probably because it was too old of a framework to play host to the abundance of features that NI had planned. Better to start from scratch, with absolutely zero point in updating the 'legacy' version, save for bug-fixes and OS-compatibility fixes etc.

As i suggested, previously in this thread - If NI are going to update GR - And I have no proof, either way (A minor detail that's important to at least a few of us) - , then they have a lot of ground to make up. Even just bringing the graphics up-to-date might justify the re-write. However, considering how far amp modelling, fx design etc, has advanced in the last few years, they'd surely need to start from-the-ground-up :shrug:

If they were to do a new Guitar Rig X, it would be done most likely by another company, like softube doing their reverbs. That's my guess.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:26 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:55 pm Doing a little digging, NI's Massive seems to have had a small update to version 1.5.5, within the last couple of years. This seems, though I'm happy to be corrected, to have only been released to fix a preset-library bug, and to allow for user data-collection (For MX, presumably). Previous to that there had been no updates since November of 2015:

If they were to do a new Guitar Rig X, it would be done most likely by another company, like softube doing their reverbs. That's my guess.
Maybe :tu:

There are also newer NI VSTi products using similar components like amps, FX and cabs, not only Guitar Rig.
Enough reason to maintain GR.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

I'd love to see it maintained. But, unfortunately, unless they or someone picks it up, it's dead.

Finished for the time being, use it as it is and rejoice, but it's currently dead.

AND, it's a shame. They were one of the biggest "amp sim" people. It's stupid that it's that way, but development is CURRENTLY dead.

Well it’s certainly in a coma...tune in next week to see if it survives!

It's only playing possum, waiting for true love's kiss to awaken.
A well-behaved signature.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:26 amIf they were to do a new Guitar Rig X, it would be done most likely by another company, like softube doing their reverbs. That's my guess.
No, not really. I don't see that happening. They have their own DSP wizards in the NI FX team, and they came up with some pretty awesome distortions in the Crush Pack...

Don't forget if they bring in a 3rd party like that they'd need to license their work, which would likely be a % of revenue. I don't think NI is interested in doing that, considering they're in expense-cutting mode.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:26 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:26 amIf they were to do a new Guitar Rig X, it would be done most likely by another company, like softube doing their reverbs. That's my guess.
Don't forget if they bring in a 3rd party like that they'd need to license their work, which would likely be a % of revenue. I don't think NI is interested in doing that, considering they're in expense-cutting mode.
While the landscape has clearly changed, there is ‘form’ for NI outsourcing/collaborating; and with Softube, no less. While very unlikely, it’s not the most outlandish of speculation :shrug:

It's not an outlandish speculation but I am speaking in quite a bit less speculative manner, since I have a bit more background info ;)

Return to “Effects”