So... Is Guitar Rig dead?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:48 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:44 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:36 pm I wish I liked Guitar Rig as much as Amplitube, given that I own it with Komplete since forever, and I really like the interface. Cool assortment of pedals too but it's been quite some time since I've used it for actual Guitar Amp simulation.
https://youtu.be/F0lZZJapHm8
yup, they used it from rubber soul onwards.
Apparently the reason Paul McCartney left was because the others got Phil Spector to use Amplitube on the Let It Be sessions.

you mean fake paul of course.

vurt wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:00 pm you mean fake paul of course.
Who else?

tbh i think they where a better band with faul
the output definitely improved.
electric ladyland was a fabulous album

vurt wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:05 pm tbh i think they where a better band with faul
Yep, he just asked them if they were experienced and the rest is history as they say...

--- wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:25 pm Latest stable build was in 2016. And there's no news of Guitar Rig 6. Its abandonment has caused everyone to jump to Amplitube.
Made few tracks in last few months where i used GR. Not dead at all. Works fine.

You scared me. I rushed over to my DAW to make sure, and yes Guitar Rig was there just as I had left it. I think Guitar Rig is aging better than I am if I must be honest about it.
I like and use the amps on actual guitars believe it or not. I really like the Fender stuff and the Roland Jazz Chorus. And the Pedals are wonderful as many have mentioned.
I just discovered all the crazy Traktor stuff too since upgrading to Komplete (I don't believe that stuff was there before). Really cool and unique stuff.

No need to jump ship for me and I if I did it would certainly not be for amplitube. Call me crazy but I just don't like having to sift through a GUI that looks like the iTunes store every time I want to select an amp.

Local Man wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:37 am Call me crazy but I just don't like having to sift through a GUI that looks like the iTunes store every time I want to select an amp.
:hihi:

I've been using Guitar Rig exclusively for years, but I've been browsing at the completion lately. I just feel like it has generally been left behind by it's peers, it sounds alright... but not great, and yes, it has a few amp models... but not as many as the competition. I'll probably go for Overloud TH-U FULL.
I was thinking about getting Amplitube (I've got Amplitube free) and a whole bunch of expansions while the group-buy is on, but the thing about Amplitube that really turns me off is the way that you go through the browser, and all models you don't own are there... but locked. It's just cluttered and ugly... just don't have them there until I buy it. It just seems like an underhanded way to deliberately make Amplitube seem incomplete, and we're constantly being pushing to buy more. :evil:
Whooops... gone waaaaay off track. :oops:

vurt wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:05 pm tbh i think they where a better band with faul
I preferred 'Electric Landlady' myself ...

an-electric-heart wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:48 am I've been using Guitar Rig exclusively for years, but I've been browsing at the completion lately. I just feel like it has generally been left behind by it's peers, it sounds alright... but not great, and yes, it has a few amp models... but not as many as the competition. I'll probably go for Overloud TH-U FULL.
I was thinking about getting Amplitube (I've got Amplitube free) and a whole bunch of expansions while the group-buy is on, but the thing about Amplitube that really turns me off is the way that you go through the browser, and all models you don't own are there... but locked. It's just cluttered and ugly... just don't have them there until I buy it. It just seems like an underhanded way to deliberately make Amplitube seem incomplete, and we're constantly being pushing to buy more. :evil:
Whooops... gone waaaaay off track. :oops:
I am a big GR 5 user. I use it all the time but have also been demoing and trying out the competition due to the current Amplitube deal. GR is definitely sounds dated compared to newer products by competition but it also depends what kind of sound and music you are after. The amps and the 3d mic software processing engine in Amplitube do make it sound better and more realistic than GR.

I tried S Gear, Amplitube and GR . S gear actually sounded the best to my ears. It was also a much lighter CPU footprint than Amplitude. Pretty music uses CPU similar to GR which is lightest of bunch. I plan to try to find time to tinker with Mercurial.stiff.next and then decide if I want Amplitube.

My issues with Amplitube are same as yours. I prefer the GR interface and don't like all the browsing of cabs. Maybe I am just used to the GR interface too much and stuck in it's ways.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

When I had the GR5 and purchased the 4000 presets I was shocked how good could sound. Then became nightmare of ditching many.

A4 only need cab IR inserted. I make my own folders and rarely go to presets anymore.

BiasFX on otherhand has presets that are most record ready.

But I use A4 the most and at times Kuassa

telecode wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:52 am
My issues with Amplitube are same as yours. I prefer the GR interface and don't like all the browsing of cabs. Maybe I am just used to the GR interface too much and stuck in it's ways.
It's things like; you choose a preset, and it goes, "you can't load this preset because you don't own this model (or something)", you go into the "clean amp" section, and the two you have are there... but so are 10 that are grayed out with a little padlock icon next to them, that just really bugs me, it's like it's all about reminding you what you don't have and what you need to buy. If a preset requires an amp you don't have... don't have that preset in the list, if you don't have a certain amp, just don't mention it. :shrug:

From NI perspective, GR reached stable position, so they can care about something else.

I think I am noticing that some "newer" electronic music does not need or want that old electric guitar sound. There seems a move or push towards lofi in some newer electronic music and I think that GR 5 "not quite real amp sound" actually fits quite well in that regards. All depends what music you are making I guess.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Return to “Effects”