Neutron3 Advanced - would you recommend? (e.g. much better on CPU than Neutron 2, or still some CPU issues ?)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am thinking of getting the MPS2.1 bundle, which is currently on an upgrade price.

I had my eye set on buying Fabfilter ProQ3 to deal with masking issues etc. The ProQ3 has a great interface, works well, and is very CPU light. More so than Neutron I think.

I demoed N3 and found it helpful to work with. But the Sculptor module was very heavy on the CPU and introduced latency even. I emailed Izotope support on this and they admitted that is was CPU intensive, but it was "doing a lot".
(I bought Gullfoss a few weeks ago, and thats doing a lot, but its lighter than Sculptor).

I am wondering how my computer is going to react to 25 Neutron EQs, one on every track. Or is the EQ module CPU light ? I know people who bought N2 had complaints re: CPU.

Would you recommend going for N3, what are your positives and negatives ?
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

I tried Neutron and decided it was not for me. I dislike being tied to a workflow and these "on every track" tools impose too much for me. But that's just me. I much prefer using Q3 for masking work because it doesn't tie me to a project-wide workflow. I also, frankly, find Neutron's tools a gimmick - but again, I prefer the freedom to use my own ears and discrete tools rather than work within the same tool all the time. I know I am free to use other tools along with Neutron but I still find it doesn't mesh well with my workflow.

If you don't have an established workflow then Neutron and the like may be of better use to you.

I agree that Izotope plugins are great but very cpu intensive and if you rely on higher sample rates above 44.1kHz, I wouldn´t recommend them unless you have a good DAW workstation.

I like it :love:

i don't like the sound of neutron's EQ and stuff very much; there's something chewy and slightly sterile about it. it's fine in very small amounts, but it starts sounding "over-processed" faster than other things i've used

I like Neutron's exciter a lot... the rest I find a bit meh. If anyone's can suggest an alternative to the the Exciter that would be great :tu:

I found the masking function very clunky on my old-ish 2015 MacBook Pro with Logic, and while the assistant tool did give me some good results with vocals occasionally - it didn't seem worth the cost of keeping hold of it (I was paying via Splice)

Yeah, honestly, the exciter was probably the best part. If anyone else has suggestions for a good exciter I'll be ALL OVER IT.

sleepcircle wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:47 am Yeah, honestly, the exciter was probably the best part. If anyone else has suggestions for a good exciter I'll be ALL OVER IT.
Spectre from wavesfactory. Somewhat different but it’ll do the same job. Love that plug and I hated neutrons exciter.. brittle and harsh.

Oh, right? Well I rarely use a very strong exciter, so maybe that was why I didn't notice. It seems to be a common experience that neutron can't be used strongly on anything because it breaks down quickly.

thanks for the responses.
I demoed N3, and actually the package of Nectar & Melodyne, Vocalsynth appeal to me more.
I use the multiband exciter in Ozone8 and think its good.
I'm just not convinced enough to pull the trigger on N3. The CPU performance bothers me.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

I recently started with the izotope music suite with a cross-grade deal that was too good to pass.

Being my first I can't compare Neutron 3 to the previous version but what I've read says they've optimized CPU considerably.

Something I noticed on Nectar that I'm not sure if Neutron has too, the deal with 2 eqs is that the first eq is used to apply narrow dynamic corrections to fix resonance, then the second eq is more broad like what most of us would be doing. So from that perspective, you can let the AI design the first eq to tame resonances and it will probably save you time and also help people that don't quite trust their ears for micro adjustments. I'm looking forward to testing this thing more.

Way too early to say as I've only done one test with Nectar, but I disliked what it did to a test vocal track. But when I looked at it's second eq it basically looked like I did it, the choices it made looked very much like my own eq, the exact same 4 treatments almost to the same frequencies and dbs, so I think my problem was with the other modules particularly sculptor and exciter, but I've read plenty of praise reviews for those. So I'm going to have to slow down and learn all the modules before making an informed judgement.

Also not too excited about the Neutron automixer thing. I've had that from other tools and it's a fun gimmick but it takes me only a couple of minutes to set my own levels, and I prefer to do that during a listen to get a lay of the song anyway.

I like Neutron. It's helpful for someone newer like me to make progress quickly.

Return to “Effects”