A/DA flanger (280 instances on one track possible)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oops! Plugin Alliance did it again:

The Analog Flanger That Rules Them All

With its rich and colorful tone, the reputable A/DA Flanger was one of the first commercially produced flanging effects to be released in the late ´70s. Since then, it’s become a benchmark for all the other flangers out there. Whether you are going for something extreme or more musical, this little box of flanging wonders easily delivers on every front.

Crafted by the award-winning development team at Brainworx and bearing an official stamp of approval from the A/DA founder Dave Tarnowski himself, the plugin version is an exacting emulation of the original analog unit. This timeless piece of gear is available in all major native plugin formats.

Flanging At Its Finest

The A/DA flanger is a true master of adding breathtaking bucket-brigade analog flanging sounds. Whether you're working on guitars, synths or are looking to add some musical modulation to vocal and drum tracks. With the Panasonic MN3010 circuit inside, the A/DA Flanger’s controls include Threshold (think of gating effects), Manual (defines the tonal center of the sweep frequency), Range (modifies the frequency spectrum of the flange), Speed, and Enhance (a resonance control that can add depth and intensity). You can also switch the flange to affect only the even or odd-ordered harmonics. And one of the particularly interesting features that make this pedal stand above the rest is the 40:1 delay ratio, since most other flangers won’t go higher than 20:1. Armed with these masterfully designed controls, you can dial in some mild rippling or metallic ring modulation or go swimming in the wild flanging sea of jet plane noise and creative whooshing effects.

Exclusive Plugin Features

The A/DA flanger plugin wouldn’t be complete without the secret sauce features that Brainworx added to the already rich functionality of the original hardware. The Wet/Dry Mix control gives you the option of running the plugin directly on your source track to add some subtle modulation or use it as an insert effect. DAW tempo sync makes it easy to calibrate your flanging to the tempo of your song. You also have access to dual stereo modes that are perfect for really wide modulation and the ability to toggle the unit between the mildly grainier 1979 version or the somewhat cleaner signal path of the reissue from 2009.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... anger.html
Last edited by martinjuenke on Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Demo sounds best Ive heard

Listening to the audio demos, I'd be tempted just to use a regular flanger and put Airwindows' PowerSag ahead of it.

The more products Brainworx releases, the less interest I have in this company.

Please release less, polish more. Oberhausen could use some attention.
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

You had me excited there for a moment.

$149 flanger
nuff said.

lwj wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:25 am $149 flanger
nuff said.
Screw that, I can get a decent hardware flanger for that much.

It’s a pity, and Eventide’s is also pretty $$$$ to at $129. Somehow, I think developers are missing the mark on phase/flanger price points. Especially PA.

The price is the same as the UAD version. All these recent plugins are just the previously-exclusive UAD ones without the hardware dongle.
Image Image Image Image

It sounds lovely though... I'd most probably get it at a reasonable price.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

sprnva wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:57 pm The price is the same as the UAD version. All these recent plugins are just the previously-exclusive UAD ones without the hardware dongle.
That hardware dongle offloads the DSP from the CPU. It’s not “just” a dongle. For some, that’s a benefit worth the cost.

Forgotten wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:12 pm
lwj wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:25 am $149 flanger
nuff said.
Screw that, I can get a decent hardware flanger for that much.
exactly

perpetual3 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:10 pm
sprnva wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:57 pm The price is the same as the UAD version. All these recent plugins are just the previously-exclusive UAD ones without the hardware dongle.
That hardware dongle offloads the DSP from the CPU. It’s not “just” a dongle. For some, that’s a benefit worth the cost.
It's entirely ricidulous. It's a dongle for the braindead. If UA's own chart is to be believed, one stereo instance of the A/DA Flanger uses 15,9% of one Sharc. This should mean you ought be able to run 50 instances on an Octo Satellite.

I - on the other hand - just ran 200 instances of the native version on my laptop which cost about as much as an Octo Satellite a little less than two years ago (12/2017) - at 128samples of latency without my CPU nearly maxing out. (Reaper reported ~50%, Windows reported a little less than 80%).

See? That's why people call it a dongle. It's because of its piss-poor DSP-performance at insane prices. UAD is for the gullible that easily become victims of ridiculous marketing claims.

Edit: with 280 instances running, my system ended up becoming sluggish. (28tracks each with 10 instances inserted)

Edit 2: and for 1000 bucks I could built a machine that would run circles around my modest laptop.

Edit 3: one has to thank PA though for helping to make this nonsense a lot more transparent.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:35 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:10 pm
It's entirely ricidulous. It's a dongle for the braindead. If UA's own chart is to be believed, one stereo instance of the A/DA Flanger uses 15,9% of one Sharc. This should mean you ought be able to run 50 instances on an Octo Satellite.

I - on the other hand - just ran 200 instances of the native version on my laptop which cost about as much as an Octo Satellite a little less than two years ago (12/2017) - at 128samples of latency without my CPU nearly maxing out. (Reaper reported ~50%, Windows reported a little less than 80%).

See? That's why people call it a dongle. It's because of its piss-poor DSP-performance at insane prices. UAD is for the gullible that easily become victims of ridiculous marketing claims.

Edit: with 280 instances running, my system ended up becoming sluggish. (28tracks each with 10 instances inserted)

Edit 2: and for 1000 bucks I could built a machine that would run circles around my modest laptop.

Edit 3: one has to thank PA though for helping to make this nonsense a lot more transparent.
Like I said, for some people, that’s what they want. Don’t look at me though, I never bought into the DSP hype.

No, they believe they can - thanks to assumed enormous DSP power - run many instances of plugins which are superior sound-/DSP-wise.

Would they not simply get a more powerful machine instead if they would not fall for these false marketing claims? I think they would. But over at Gearslutz you can read a lot of evidence that they tend to believe the advanced code of the UAD plugins could not run natively because of limited CPU ressources. :dog: :help: :hihi:

Not looking at you (or anyone else in particular for that matter) at all btw. :-)

Return to “Effects”