Best EQ for clear mids on Master?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DMG EQuilibrium

Any eq.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:48 am Any eq.
Dis. I don't quite get how much analysis can you put into cutting mids on master. :shrug:

(I could understand the concern if you wanted for eg. to preserve phase in monophonic acid riff, but on master? Pointless).
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:52 am
Dis. I don't quite get how much analysis can you put into cutting mids on master. :shrug:

(I could understand the concern if you wanted for eg. to preserve phase in monophonic acid riff, but on master? Pointless).
We're boosting mids.

Though, as has already been expressed - why the low and high end are being boosted so much that the mids require boosting separately seems like a strange method.

Best method is to address the issues present, rather than using gear in a manner which then introduces further issues in need of correction.

Unaspected wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:17 am
DJ Warmonger wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:52 am

We're boosting mids.

Though, as has already been expressed - why the low and high end are being boosted so much that the mids require boosting separately seems like a strange method.

Best method is to address the issues present, rather than using gear in a manner which then introduces further issues in need of correction.
Good point! :)

I try to avoid that on my master. Adding or removing bass and highs works on the master bus is easy, but mid range is a bitch to work with... especially making things clearer and more defined. You'd probably have to look at compression and mid/side processing as well to get some real control over it. Or just go back to the mix.

I like Wavesfactory Spectre a lot. It's an EQ and saturator in one and can work on mids and sides separately... I haven't really gotten the hang of that yet, but mid/side saturation seems like it can create a lot of space in the midrange.. and it's a really great tool for subtle enhancements in general. More suited to individual sounds and busses, but you could put it on a master as well.

Use a spectrum analizer?

Skupje wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:37 pm Use a spectrum analizer?
BLASPHEMY!!! Burn, witch!

Boosting low and hights + mids = raising overall level. So I think that the best solution will be removal of low/high boost and simple use of volume slider because result will be mostly the same. The only difference will be phase shifts and other artifacts introduced by EQ. In t his case I think it's better to use a good saturation plugin to add more sweet harmonics :)

lwj wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:02 pm
Skupje wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:37 pm Use a spectrum analizer?
BLASPHEMY!!! Burn, witch!
Wow thats dumb :D :tu:

pixel85 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:12 pm Boosting ALL low and ALL hights + ALL mids = raising overall level.
I corrected that for you :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:49 am
pixel85 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:12 pm Boosting ALL low and ALL hights + ALL mids = raising overall level.
I corrected that for you :D
Yeah, it almost seems like some in this thread have read about how an EQ works but haven't actually used one.
It's like a little kid behind the wheel of a car with the engine off, wildly turning it back and forth.

Try the LA bands two. 32 bit but won't disappoint.

Thavma wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:23 pm Hi, I was wondering which EQ you prefer to boost the mids of whole song in a nice clear way? Adding clarity?
I have elektron analog heat and it doesn't have mids, I boost lows and highs and I need some for the mids for mastering!

I am after Voxengo HarmoniEQ, do you suggest something else? Even in analog gear!

Thanks! :hug:
Reading again i kinda found the whole question raising more questions:

1. Are you sure your analog heat doesnt have mids?
2. Did you used analyzer?
3. Maybe your speakers have a dip in the mids?
4. Your speakers are not very good if you boost the mids and the sound isnt enought clear. Difference between good and bad speakers also can be a distortion presented at certain loudness.

Return to “Effects”