is there oversampling wrapper/container out there?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

martinjuenke wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:20 am Does Bidule (Plogue) offer oversampling?
Haven‘t found something on their homepage...
Ah I meant to answer this a while ago..

You can, indeed, wrap any fx plugin (in a Bidule Group) which you can then choose to upsample up to 16 times! I've not tested with plugin instruments (apart from my own bidule creations) yet.. can't see any immediate reason why most wouldn't work though.

CinningBao wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:09 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:20 am Does Bidule (Plogue) offer oversampling?

You can, indeed, wrap any fx plugin (in a Bidule Group) which you can then choose to upsample up to 16 times! I've not tested with plugin instruments (apart from my own bidule creations) yet.. can't see any immediate reason why most wouldn't work though.
Thanks!

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:27 am KVR's own arke/Chris Walton wrote one that did exactly that, but its not been updated in a very long time afaik.
https://sites.google.com/site/vstoversampler/home
This looks just what I am looking for, but the download link fails. Can anyone share (as its free)? I wonder if it will work with 64 bit plugins. Thanks!

CinningBao wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Been using Bidule for a while and I never knew that, thanks.

You can do this in Reaper when rendering your project. Just passing this along for the Reaper users who may not know.

Mix and finish your project. Before you begin the final render process, just go to...

1. Project settings - set your new rate here. Example change it from 44.1khz to 88.2khz if you want 2x oversampling. Reaper will upsample according to the resample settings also on this screen.

2. Go to the Render screen

3. Set your destination sample rate (44.1khz)

4. Check the box that says something like "render using project sample rate"

5. Render

The result will be as though your entire project were oversampled. And since it's an offline render, no CPU concerns.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:36 pm You can do this in Reaper when rendering your project. Just passing this along for the Reaper users who may not know.

Mix and finish your project. Before you begin the final render process, just go to...

1. Project settings - set your new rate here. Example change it from 44.1khz to 88.2khz if you want 2x oversampling. Reaper will upsample according to the resample settings also on this screen.

5. Render

The result will be as though your entire project were oversampled. And since it's an offline render, no CPU concerns.
There are some ceoncerns, mainly:

1) It will take way more CPU and time to render.

2) The sound of the mix will change.

3) Sometimes bugs appear in different parts.

heavymetalmixer wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:29 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:36 pm You can do this in Reaper when rendering your project. Just passing this along for the Reaper users who may not know.

5. Render

There are some ceoncerns, mainly:

1) It will take way more CPU and time to render.

2) The sound of the mix will change.

3) Sometimes bugs appear in different parts.
1. Yep. Is render time/CPU really a problem though? If the goal is quality, use the extra CPU/time.

2. Shouldn't be a dramatic change to the mix unless a plug-in behaves differently at higher rates. Which can happen. And can be a pain in the ass to troubleshoot when it does. Otherwise, it should ideally be a slightly improved upon version of the same mix. Less aliasing, maybe smoother. Not life changingly different.

3. Not sure what this means.

Element
https://kushview.net/
Also, this just this very minute came over the transom:

Code: Select all

REAPER 6.54: Banjo Telemark
Changelog:
FX
add per-FX instance and per-FX chain oversampling options (if both chain and instance are set, the higher of the two is used) not has FX oversampling support.

Metaplugin is the king of this but I think it's ripe for dethroning. It's just a bit unwieldly as it's main purpose is complex routing chains, not basic oversampling. It's buggy and it crashes alot, automating is a chore and it's DDMF so, well.. it's not pretty.

So overall there's a pretty sore lack of options for this task and therefore a big gap in the market for an elegant, streamlined solution that just did this one thing (oversample). I would have thought Airwindows, Hornet or some other adventurous and capable indie dev would have jumped on this already... It's weird though it's like oversampling is an unspeakable word to some (including devs).

MogwaiBoy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:25 am Metaplugin is the king of this but I think it's ripe for dethroning. It's just a bit unwieldly as it's main purpose is complex routing chains, not basic oversampling. It's buggy and it crashes alot, automating is a chore and it's DDMF so, well.. it's not pretty.

So overall there's a pretty sore lack of options for this task and therefore a big gap in the market for an elegant, streamlined solution that just did this one thing (oversample). I would have thought Airwindows, Hornet or some other adventurous and capable indie dev would have jumped on this already... It's weird though it's like oversampling is an unspeakable word to some (including devs).
Once I asked Chris on stream about maybe adding oversampling to his plugins, he said something like, that he is working in 96khz anyway and if someone wants he should do that too. And also that his algorithms often work out the top end, so it's not bad on 44khz as well.

P.S.
Some plugins like MeldaProduction do this pretty good. Having that feature to set different oversampling for render and for working.

Maybe this question should be addressed to DAW devs from now.
Last edited by arseniy2 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Subscribe me. I need folowers.
SoundCloud / Youtube / some music

arseniy2 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:31 am Once I asked Chris on stream about maybe adding oversampling to his plugins, he said something like, that he is working in 96khz anyway and if someone wants he should do that too. And also that his algorithms often work out the top end, so it's not bad on 44khz as well.
Many of AW's plugins are plain waveshapers or contain variations of them, so I think they would definitely benefit from resampling in some cases.

I for one will certainly be playing with some airwindows waveshapers and the new REAPER features :D

arseniy2 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:31 am Maybe this question should be addressed to DAW devs from now.
I think the aforementioned Reaper has included oversampling for any plugin. I don't know if it's a send+receive type setup or a simple "Oversample FX in this channel" option, but yeah, it would be great for DAWs to jump onboard with this.

Otherwise, working at 96kHz is pretty much like 2xOS anyway.

you can choose wether it's for specific plugins, or the whole channel. Officially only been out since yesterday though ;)
Last edited by FapFilter on Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Looks like Reaper as of v6.54 has per-FX oversampling options now:
+ FX: add per-FX instance and per-FX chain oversampling options (if both chain and instance are set, the higher of the two is used)

Return to “Effects”