lkjb QRange

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
QRange

Double post, please erase.

Turello wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:05 am If you could add 3 and 6 dB/oct slope filters, this could become the best lp free EQ!
Since QRange is IIR based (meaning it uses "normal" filters an process these forwards and backwards instead of creating an arbitrary frequency response which FIR based linear phase EQs do) neither 6 dB/oct nor 3 dB/oct filters are possible. The latter is actually only possible in normal linear phase EQs.
Omkar wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:40 pm Questions I would have is in how far the max latency does have an impact on rendering
and how the upper regions are performing.
The long latencies shouldn't impact on rendering. For example, Fabfilter's Pro-Q 3 has a latency of up to 1.5 s (according to "Maximum" in this link).
The upper regions should perform well as the main limitation for a linear phase EQ is the used blocksize (and thus latency) which constrains long impulse responses. But as long IRs only occur with low frequencies and high Q-factors, the upper regions shouldn't be affected.

Don't like the colors and the gradient on the top bar and buttons, and the dots and curves on the graph look a bit rough. Maybe you could tweak those to make it a bit more visually appealing. The way it is, looks like early '00s style. Would go well with a Reaper skin, sorry to say that.

When designing user interfaces I also notice each time that I'm not very good at creating fancy GUIs. The Luftikus GUI for example was done by kvr user RefinedRough which is way better than my original design (screenshot of original design for comparison).

If you like, feel free to sketch a design and I'll have a look at implementing it.

Thanks, this will be useful!
Since a request for a band solo came twice: what should a soloed band do?
I can think of either only process the band or only output the signal that is processed (e.g. bandpass for peak filter, cut for shelves).

Pretty sure they mean the latter

The Luftikus GUI for example was done by kvr user RefinedRough which is way better than my original design (screenshot of original design for comparison).
Honestly, I like your design better :party:
And Qrange looks exactly like I expect an eq to look like, all parameters exposed is more important than fancy anything.

Thanks for the free plugin. There aren't too many free Linear Phase eqs around, if any.

Some basic questions: since it's LP, which naturally comes with quite some significant amount of latency, I guess it's mainly intended for mastering / final application, not for mixing or even mixing while tracking and virtual-composing, right?

As far as I understand, all Linear Phase processors do introduce pre-ringing artifacts under certain circumstances, which have a destructive effect on the transients of the material, right?

In light of this: how about only allowing parameter ranges that keep pre-ringing artefacts at a minimum? As far as I know, no such "foolproof" LP EQ exists, which would avoid pre-ringing artefacts simply by limiting the parameter ranges to those values that do not introduce pre-ringing.

Hi,
Nice eq, good featureset and useability for a beta, it works and sounds nice:)
I like to be able to set a default size and default settings, and the Preferences panel is good to have.
« Sort bands » is nice too :)

Behaviour
- The spectrum meter is paused when you move one eq node, which seems quite unusual.

FR
- per-band soloing
- Please consider filling the selected node, so it is easier/faster to know which node is selected and adjusted.
- Spectrogram view ;
- different color for each kind of processing (stereo/mid/side/L/R) ;
- Maybe different colors for each dots ? SO this would help identifying better each node (between the spectrum display section and the bottom section).
- marquee selection of various nodes to move them altogether ;
- One thing which i enjoy in some eqs (and which i don’t find so often) is a % ratio : you can make your settings, and then lower or increase the values of your whole settings at once by moving one knob. It’s great to listen to how it would sound like if you increased everything a bit, or go backwards a bit… ToneBoosters Eq feature this, and it is quite handy.
- one feature some people like to have is autogain compensation, so the output is at the same level of the input… I do not use this a lot, but i see this often requested.
- On the other side, a master out fader would be welcome;)

Here is a quick and dirty mockup (not aimed at being pretty, but showing the different shades for each band, different color for m/s/l/R/stereo modes, filled selected node, and filled spectrum meter) :

Tearing Riots wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:37 am And Qrange looks exactly like I expect an eq to look like, all parameters exposed is more important than fancy anything.
I assume perfumer wasn't talking so much about the layout as the design of background and button graphics. Unfortunately, the UI looks are important for many users. Luftikus for example got far less attention before the user interface from RefinedRough was implemented.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:45 am Some basic questions: since it's LP, which naturally comes with quite some significant amount of latency, I guess it's mainly intended for mastering / final application, not for mixing or even mixing while tracking and virtual-composing, right?
Especially with the analyser on it might be too CPU-hungry to be used on any track but generally, you can use it on single tracks or groups. Due to the latency it certainly isn't useful for tracking or live playing.
As far as I understand, all Linear Phase processors do introduce pre-ringing artifacts under certain circumstances, which have a destructive effect on the transients of the material, right?
I wouldn't call it necessarily destructive, but yes, all linear phase EQs introduce pre-ringing. The amount of pre-ringing depends on the EQ settings: Low frequencies, high gain and high Q-factors increase the possible audibility.
In light of this: how about only allowing parameter ranges that keep pre-ringing artefacts at a minimum? As far as I know, no such "foolproof" LP EQ exists, which would avoid pre-ringing artefacts simply by limiting the parameter ranges to those values that do not introduce pre-ringing.
I don't think this is realistically possible. Whether the pre-ringing is audible depends not only on the EQ settings but also on the audio and listener.

Btw, now that you mention it, what implications has the plugin being IIR-based? What differences are in plugin delay, phase and ringing, etc?

Nice Eq. Thanks for sharing your efforts.

sinkmusic wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:08 pm - The spectrum meter is paused when you move one eq node, which seems quite unusual.
Thanks, noted.

I'll have a look at the other FRs; some loose comments:
- per-band soloing should come in time
- graphics stuff (filliing sel. node, colors according to rouging): I'll have a look
- Marquee selection: a bit more complicated. What use-cases are there?
- %-ratio: probably not coming. Since it's a LP EQ you could use Reaper's dry/wet control if you're using reaper.
- autogain: I had that in mind when designing the plugin. Not much trouble (mainly find some place for the controls) but not sure at the moment.
The gain control on the top right should do exactly that. ;)

lkjb wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:35 pm- Marquee selection: a bit more complicated. What use-cases are there?
For instance if you decide to detune a track, without losing the "eq focus". This might not be a daily usage, though :)
This can be great also when you want to boost or lower the gain of several bands at once : you grab them with the marquee, and then boost as you need : done.
lkjb wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:35 pm- %-ratio: probably not coming. Since it's a LP EQ you could use Reaper's dry/wet control if you're using reaper.
Yes, but Reaper can not go to 200%. With Reaper's dry/wet system, you can only lower your equing factor, but you can not increase your equing factor.
One thing i use quite a lot, is first dialing in the "eq ratio" to 150 or 200%, then try to find a nice "over the top" equing, and then dial it back to 100%.I find it to be a nice way to get quickly "in the ballpark", and then fine-tune the equiing with more "real world" settings.
But if it is not going to make it, that fine ;)
- autogain: I had that in mind when designing the plugin. Not much trouble (mainly find some place for the controls) but not sure at the moment.
Great !
The gain control on the top right should do exactly that. ;)[/quote]
Sorry, i completely overlooked it (I was looking for such a feature next to the other gain settings, at the bottom, not along with the options and display settings) :oops:

@lkjb Thanks.

Regarding the GUI, KVR member crimsonmerry has designed some great gems for Sonic Anomaly and other developers in the past.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:40 pmRegarding the GUI, KVR member crimsonmerry has designed some great gems for Sonic Anomaly and other developers in the past.
+1

heavymetalmixer wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:21 pm Btw, now that you mention it, what implications has the plugin being IIR-based? What differences are in plugin delay, phase and ringing, etc?
I started to write something more in detail but this not easy to get into a concise post. I'll postpone this for an explanation on the wordpress page.

In short an FIR based LP EQ can create any frequency response. An IIR based one on the ther hand uses an IIR filter to process audio forwards and that output again backwards (that is inversely in time). The filter is thus applied twice with a resulting linear phase response. Due to this only "normal" filters (peak, shelf, multiple of 6 dB/oct cuts) can be used resulting in not so different peak and shelf filters but cuts are now multiples of 12 dB/oct.

Ringing is inherent to LP filters and should only depend on the resulting frequency response. The phase might be not so linear for IIR based LP EQs but still sufficientlty linear for not being noticed at all in parallel processing. The delay depends on the used maximum impulse response length and processing implementation and not so much on an IIR/FIR base.

Return to “Effects”