What are your top five favorite FX plugins that really helped you in your music production ..?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Googly Smythe wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:58 pm
MasterTuner wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:01 pm
zacha wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:33 pm It often comes down to 29, and I used my $25 voucher on it, I think
bx_subsynth
Wait, do you mean that it comes down to $49 and you use your $25 voucher to get it for $24,
or do you mean it comes down to $26 and you use your PA voucher to get it for less than $10?
Prices are often reduced to $29, even the most expensive. If you have a $25 voucher, you can pick up whatever it is for $4. Plus VAT in the EUSSREU.

Googly Smythe wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:58 pm
MasterTuner wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:01 pm
zacha wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:33 pm It often comes down to 29, and I used my $25 voucher on it, I think
bx_subsynth
Wait, do you mean that it comes down to $49 and you use your $25 voucher to get it for $24,
or do you mean it comes down to $26 and you use your PA voucher to get it for less than $10?
Prices are often reduced to $29, even the most expensive. If you have a $25 voucher, you can pick up whatever it is for $4. Plus VAT in the EUSSR.
Yes, sorry. This is what I meant. About $4

Mastering - VSM-3
Mastering - HG-2 Blackbox
Mixing - T-Racks Clipper/Kclip (whichever sounds better on certain tracks)
Mixing - MAutoDynamicEQ
Mixing - MSpctralDynamics
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Mathematics wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:04 am Mixing - MAutoDynamicEQ
Mixing - MSpctralDynamics
Agreed. MAutoDynamicEQ is surprisingly helpful, even just for its simpler automatic functions. I use it for quick, sidechained dynamic EQ of music under voice.

I’d love to try using MSpectralDynamics for that, but even at half price can’t justify the price (for my purposes; I’m sure it’s usefully well worth the cost for others)

I’ll just add Pro-L 2 as the final plugin on my master track. Fire and forget for limiting, and great LUFS metering as you go

Fuse Audio Labs - VPRE-562A (amp sim and/or effortless colour box. circuit simulation of old Grampian 562A)
Ignite Amps - PTEq-X (three pieces of pultec gear recreated in an elaborate circuit simulation with swappable tube models)
Cytomic - The Glue (an extensive circuit simulation of the one and only british console bus compressor. at sufficient oversampling levels, the track begins to really sing and bounce.)
Tokyo Dawn Labs - SlickEQ M (no circuit simulation at all. pure theory, implemented with meticulous attention to detail. minimal phase distortion without any linear-phase smearing; so transparent you can barely see it.)
Airwindows - Console5 (one of the few ACTUAL non-linear summing solutions out there. not a circuit simulation, but uses an ingenious series of equations to pack audio tracks down individually, and then unpack them all together on the mix bus. lends the mix a strange warming, floating, 3d feeling)

DMGAudio EQuality, this thing has gotten me using EQ much better than I did before.

Waves CLA 76 , I love this compressor and it gets hammered in my work a lot.

Camelspace , I love the delays and reverbs in this, and so light on CPU

Izotope Trash 2 , my goto distortion unit now.

Tone2 Filterbank 3, id be lost without this unit. (Bifilter 2 as well, covers all my filter needs)
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Izotope RX - can not live without this for audio file restoration (which I do a lot of, mainly samples - clicks, knocks, body noises, ambient noise, etc)

Kush Omega 458A - to add some analogue mojo with a turn of a knob

Black Rooster Audio Vpre-73 - similar role to the 458A above

FabFilter ProQ - for quick and precise frequency cuts. However, ever since I started to use Acustica Audio EQs, I can not bring myself to use this for boosting.

Acustica Audio DiamondEQ - for instant EQ magic with electronic sources. One of the best 'bettermakers' out there.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

zacha wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:47 am bx_subsynth

Yes, sorry. This is what I meant. About $4
But these vouchers I found out are only emailed to already paying customers who spend $50 or more per year with PA. That rules me out since I've not bought anything from them yet. So for me being voucherless, bx_subsynth will be $29 lowest price.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

MasterTuner wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:12 pmbx_subsynth will be $29 lowest price.
Still a great price, no?

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:17 pm
MasterTuner wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:12 pmbx_subsynth will be $29 lowest price.
Still a great price, no?
yes, it is actually.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

MasterTuner wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:19 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:17 pm
Still a great price, no?
yes, it is actually.
If you check through their catalogue, you might find other things that you'd want to buy, and sometimes people sell their vouchers here on KVR. You could probably get a couple of sweet deals and end up with your own loyalty vouchers :tu:

Crave EQ - Simply the best sounding visual EQ i've tried (EQuilibrium excluded, since i dislike that much complexity and options). I was surprised how much my ears immediately prefered this one to its more popular competitor.
TDR SlickEQ GE - Took me a while to grasp it. Initially it felt very limited and clunky compared to visual EQs, but it taught me to EQ differently using only my ears. As a result my tracks are now often EQed in a more sane way with more gentle curves. It also keeps me out of the thinking+seeing state of mind which is terrible for my attention to sound.
DDMF MDE - It pretty much solved mixbus compression for me. Stellar.
Valhalla Plate - I don't like the other Valhalla verbs that much. I don't like most verbs much. Plate or not, this is the first reverb i've used that blends in and sit like my ears expects. In subtle use, it creates this almost inaudible bloom to sounds that is really good on a lot of material.
Xfer LFO Tool - I'm lazy. This helps me to create some movement without fiddling around with automation too much.

Voxengo Gliss EQ this was a "revelation" to me.
Was about the first EQ that came with a real good spectrum analyzer + unlimited bands + dynamic options and very good metering/readouts. Learned a lot from that and im still using it!

Fabfilter Pro-C2 I like the sound and tweakability of this one.

Voxengo Drumformer thats my multiband, bus comp, mastering multiband, multi vocal comp, problem solver etc...
Compared it to many "fancy" plugins and usually was able to dial in a similar or even "better" results with the "Drumformer". Requires some time to get used to all its functions/options, but IMHO its worth it.

Valhalla Room "swiss army knife" of reverb :)
Have used many reverb plugins over the past years, but I keep coming back to the VRoom for some things (guitars, percussion etc..). Very versatile plugin.

Soundtoys Bundle Echo/Trem/Modulation/Filters etc.. and the the mighty Decapitator :tu:

These are used for sure in every song, and for some, on every track of every song:

1. The built-in EQ in Studio One. I can get almost everything I need with this visual EQ. I would replace it with the Fabfilter EQ if they would ever drop the price to something non pros can afford.
2. Valhalla Room. On every song, it goes into a bus and I dial in every track to taste from one instance usually on the default setting.
3. Focusrite Midnight Compressor - I have bought really good compressors and somehow end up with this one on every track. I just like what I get from it and am so used to it by now.
4. Mastering the Mix - Reference - Simply the best thing I've bought in recent years. This has completely changed the quality of my tracks.
5. Ozone 8 - When all is said and done, and I need to put the final polish on something at a master state, this one reigns supreme. I still have so much to learn though.

I own a ton of delays but haven't been able to settle into one yet.
Even I was offended by what I was going to put here.
Newest Release, retro EBM, Brute Opposition - Unity of Command, released Sept '22 bandcamp link

tone boosters Barricade4 and EQ4 are the one that are used the most for the most productive results. I like to futz around with other options but when I put either of these on I know it will stay. And if time is a factor they go on first.

Return to “Effects”