What are your top five favorite FX plugins that really helped you in your music production ..?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This could be speeding up your workflow or sound quality, FX (e.g.saturation etc), mixing, mastering plugins, or even theory plugins (e.g.Scaler).

Your top five plugins do you use regularly that you'd be very unhappy to lose?
Was there something that went beyond just being helpful to making a dramatic difference?
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

Fabfilter Pro-q 3
Nectar 2
glitch 2
Corrosion
Shaperbox (volumeshaper)
Ikm stealth limiter

I have not 5 but 6 plugins i cant live out

Categories are good, make decisions easier. But these threads are trash unless people give details. I can live without any of these, but they would need replacing with something similar, and workflow-wise I find them the best choices.

workflow VUMT deluxe

On every channel to trim to sensible gain for following plugins. And then as needed: Stereo width control. Low cut. Gentle high roll-off. Also useful as a monitoring station to isolate L/R/M/S

sound quality SDRR

Bit perverse to say a saturator improved my sound quality, but the level of control here for subtle saturation reduces the temptation to use something more heavy-handed. The tube mode adds that sizzle, digital opens up those highs, desk tames those transients and fuzz leaves the option open for something gnarly.

FX Waves doubler

I know it's old and grey but the workflow for vocal widening, multiplying claps and reverse-LR slapbacks is just perfect.

mixing

Nova GE. What more can I say? The rescuer of bad recordings and shaper of submixes.

mastering

Slick EQ M has such a great design it basically teaches you how to EQ program material. Provides all the good choices and few of that bad ones. Always a pleasure to work with.

iZotope Ozone 8 Standard
ToneBoosters Equalizer 4
WavesFactory Trackspacer
Sonimus Satson Channel Strip
Valhalla Vintage Verb

You show me yours, I'll show you mine.

Toneboosters Barricade 4 - Between the input shaping (clipping/saturation), compressor, limiter, dither and loudness metering, a very useful, great-sounding master bus tool.

Tokyo Dawn Records Kotelnikov Compressor - Helped me understand how compression actually works, brings a hefty clarity when dialed in right.

Valhalla Vintage Verb - Brilliant concept and execution, capable of sounds from very transparent (Smooth algos in NOW mode) to highly colored (Dirty/Chaotic algos in '70s). IMO Valhalla has the best functional interface of any plugins - fully scalable, and legible even at the smallest size. The way the color scheme changes with the modes is awesome!

SoundToys FilterFreak - This is the only ITB filter that responds just like the analog stompbox envelope filters I've used on guitar and bass forever. Saturation is great too.

PSP Lexicon PCM42 delay - Very simple, but sounds fabulous. Can modulate delay time with LFO and/or envelope. Makes me wonder why more delays don't have adjustable sample rate (can't think of others besides PSP 85, Unfiltered Audio and Soundtoys Primal Tap).

DMG Audio Equality
DMG Audio Limitless
PSP 608 MD

Every other plugin is replaceable for me and I keep changing my favourite reverb/compressor/filter/x... all the time.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Voxengo SPAN
TB Eq 3
Sleepy Time StereoChannel
GVST GFader
FerricTDS
SDDR
DC8C
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

vumt channel tool
the rocket ( stillwell comp)
fabfilter q2
SDRR - saturation etc..
zebra FX version

Googly Smythe wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:44 am You show me yours, I'll show you mine.
:hihi:

I thought the same when i read the original question...

UAD ATR-102
Soundtoys Decapitator (actually whole Soundtoys bundle)
Eventide Blackhole
UAD Culture Vulture
Softube Modular as FX (from analog filters with FM modulation to Clouds)

For me, Airwindows Console 5 was one of the most helpful plugins. It can really open up a mix and make it sound more focussed.

Another indispensible plugin for me is the SSL 4000 G channel strip from Brainworx. The compressor is very snappy and the EQ sounds great.

The new Studer A80 tape emulation from IK is also remarkable. I would pick this as the one that makes a dramatic difference. The first time I've heard "that" sound ITB. So smooth, dynamic, spatial and has a wonderful glue effect.

Also, couldn't imagine mixing without the Lexicon PCM reverb bundle. There may be similarly good options but I just like their classic sound and how they integrate with the source and how well they sit in the mix.

For mastering I would say Stealth limiter from IK. A very transparent limiter which can be pushed if you have to and also easy to set up.

Comp: DC8C-3
Limiter-IKM Stealth
Delay: ReplikaXT
Reverb: Valhalla Room
EQ: Fabfilter Q2
Filter: The Drop
Saturation: SDRR
Guitar pedals: Audiority
Guitar Sim: IKM A4

Waves L1 / fabfilter C2/Q3/MB/SAT/L2 / SOFTUBE TSAR / WAVES ONE KNOB Driver / WAVES H-DELAYS /BLUE CAT LATE/Axiom /SOFTUBE FET...
There is not best fx, only the one you like ;)

You need to re-change the title to "list them all" :hihi:

Return to “Effects”