Relab Sonsig Rev-A Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know this will sound like heresy, or like I'm trying to be funny, but this seems a bit like Relab trying to do a Valhalla-style reverb to me. One page, few controls, everything fine-tuned for a fast workflow and good sound, big clear knobs/controls, colorful GUI, colorful sound, doesn't require a second mortgage on my house...

Not a complaint at all, or an implication that anyone's ripping anyone off or anything. I just really dig both companies products, and I wouldn't be surprised if they looked at what makes Valhalla plugins so great to use and said, "hold my beer." Ok, I'm being hyperbolic, but great stuff from both developers! This is exactly my kind of reverb plugin.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:26 pm I know this will sound like heresy, or like I'm trying to be funny, but this seems a bit like Relab trying to do a Valhalla-style reverb to me. One page, few controls, everything fine-tuned for a fast workflow and good sound, big clear knobs/controls, colorful GUI, colorful sound, doesn't require a second mortgage on my house...

Not a complaint at all, or an implication that anyone's ripping anyone off or anything. I just really dig both companies products, and I wouldn't be surprised if they looked at what makes Valhalla plugins so great to use and said, "hold my beer." Ok, I'm being hyperbolic, but great stuff from both developers! This is exactly my kind of reverb plugin.
Yeha i don't think that is too far off base. They probably were thinking about how to reach the rest of the market.
As i just read in Dirks open letter from PA, the plugin landscape has changed dramatically in recent years, companies have to find ways to not only stay relevant, but to infiltrate all corners of the market.
The fact is many people probably don't give relab a second glance, as they perceive them to be 'expensive'
This may give them a foot in the door.
I am happy to see a couple of releases from them in recent times - the Kush plug is great too.

Also i suppose a more extensive plugin lineup makes the subscription more appealing

poshook wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:38 pm It is really crazy that PCM Native Reverb plugin uses just a fraction of CPU and the results are awesome
+1 PCM is amazing on CPU and awesome set of reverb plugins but this is something different. I spit on bold marketing terms, everyone use them however i want to be fair this Sonsig thing really live up to their claims.

How this Sonsig sit in a mix and how smooth it is it's unbelievable! And Presets are really good showcase. Luckily there's DRY/WET preset lock but it's almost hidden. You have to press letter label. It's in their Manual. I almost didn't realized it.

Truly this plugin live up to hype.
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:34 pm That gui :scared:
True that i don't like it at all. I mean layout and controls are fine but that color make me puke. Luckily i can dial sound in quickly and remove it.

I wish they created two variations. Like Black one to choose from.

Ordered after two day trial. Highly recommended if you look for silky sound with amazing "sit in a mix" character.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:26 pm I know this will sound like heresy, or like I'm trying to be funny, but this seems a bit like Relab trying to do a Valhalla-style reverb to me....
Before Valhalla and Relab was Lexicon which is what both are emulating to some degree.

Sonsig sounds more like the original hardware, then many of the plugins do.
Its got a bit more vibrancy to it.

Looks amazing and I love the color in the gui, very modern. Definitely channeling Lexicon smoothness. If I hadn't just bought a ton of other things I would be on this right now.

Before Valhalla and Relab was Lexicon
Both Valhalla and Relab are lexicon emus in most cases by the way. So if u like Valhalla’s sound it actually means u like lexicon’s sound man

I was doing a little experiment.

This reverb was designed after one used by Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois on various productions.

https://soundcloud.com/synth-presets-co ... nsig-rev-a

I have done this experiment with various plugins to see if they can make that type of reverb.

Sonsig gets darn close....

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:26 pm I know this will sound like heresy, or like I'm trying to be funny, but this seems a bit like Relab trying to do a Valhalla-style reverb to me. One page, few controls, everything fine-tuned for a fast workflow and good sound, big clear knobs/controls, colorful GUI, colorful sound, doesn't require a second mortgage on my house...

Narrower focus, maybe. But the rest? Nah :shrug:

Things I associate with Valhalla that I didn't previously associate with Relab:

1. Simple control set: check
2. Fine-tuned parameter ranges: check
3. Good workflow (one page, no tabbing): check
4. Big, easy to read controls: check
5. Colorful GUI: check
6. Low price: check

That's all I'm saying really. I don't think any of that can really be disputed, can it? I'm not even saying it was deliberate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were. And both developers were heavily basing algorithms off the classics (Lexicon primarily), hence why I didn't bring up the sound.

After playing with this extensively, i am really impressed. This is a top shelf reverb. I am using it on so much already. To me, it really shines on drums and percussion. It sits perfectly in a mix and can do really nice dense and short spaces retaining a ton of thickness.
The character switches are really important when doing small spaces - they change the attack of the reverb significantly.

I think they really nailed it in so far as - they made a reverb that can be used by anyone with any skill level, it is going to be affordable for almost anyone that wants it, it is low on resources
PLUS it is of a quality that reverb connoisseurs can appreciate.

I hope this opens them up to a new set of customers.

DavidCarlyon wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:20 pm it is low on resources
Really ? :scared:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Relab lost some interest in my opinion because of the bad GUIs and the high prices. So there's a good chance to change that if they go the "Valhalla Way".
About the GUI... the color is horrible, the design.. hmm ;) $99 as introductory price is great. iLok hardware dongle is not needed, but the plugin uses iLok.

It sounds quite fantastic really.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

nilhartman wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:15 pm It sounds quite fantastic really.
Yes, I like it better then some of the mentioned reverbs, for what it is the price is fine.
(not everything can be 5 cents)

As far as the GUI goes, its OK, nothing special but the sound quality makes up for it.

nilhartman wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:15 pm It sounds quite fantastic really.
It really does! I did this crazy Blade Runner synth hall thing with the 224 setting the other day. Sounded amaze-balls.

I don't get the GUI complaints, but that's just me. I guess it's the purple/faux-metal people don't like? For me, it's legible and easy to navigate so it's a win.

Return to “Effects”