Audiority PlexiTape updated to v1.4 - Solid State Tape Echo - AAX, AU, CLAP, VST2, VST3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PlexiTape

Ive used many real exhoplexes. They are both authentic. The IK one is as you say darker. it sounds like a really well used echoplex. maybe one of the cheaper models. the PlexiTape sounds like what it is emulating the EP3 and it sounds like its been cleaned up, aligned and using new nice quality tape. That was the cool thing with them that each one had a different sound even those of the same model. I used to load mine with 456 back in the day, trying to squeeze as much quality out as possible. they were never meant to be high fidelity. Both products are authentic sounding and cover the range you could get out of the real thing.

Audiority wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:15 am If you need something Floydish and darker, you should get Echoes T7E which is THE echo used by Pink Floyd.
I have that one already of course... :-D

I was thinking more of The Wall - but I now read that Gilmour used a MXR digital delay on it instead
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

plexuss wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:42 pm Ive used many real exhoplexes. They are both authentic. The IK one is as you say darker. it sounds like a really well used echoplex. maybe one of the cheaper models. the PlexiTape sounds like what it is emulating the EP3 and it sounds like its been cleaned up, aligned and using new nice quality tape. That was the cool thing with them that each one had a different sound even those of the same model. I used to load mine with 456 back in the day, trying to squeeze as much quality out as possible. they were never meant to be high fidelity. Both products are authentic sounding and cover the range you could get out of the real thing.

Interesting - thanks for that!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

plexuss wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:42 pm Ive used many real exhoplexes. They are both authentic. The IK one is as you say darker. it sounds like a really well used echoplex. maybe one of the cheaper models. the PlexiTape sounds like what it is emulating the EP3 and it sounds like its been cleaned up, aligned and using new nice quality tape. That was the cool thing with them that each one had a different sound even those of the same model. I used to load mine with 456 back in the day, trying to squeeze as much quality out as possible. they were never meant to be high fidelity. Both products are authentic sounding and cover the range you could get out of the real thing.
So Luca, this is the request for a future update you've probably seen coming:

Could you please also add an 'Age' knob on the PlexiTape? :wink:

I know this take away from the authenticity of the device, but I would really like to see a ducker on this plugin.
It is possible to do this using a send with side chaining, but it´s just such a hassle and I use ducking on delays virtually all the time.

I already have the T-Racks one, but already have a few Audiority plugins and would definitely prefer this version if it had ducking.

By the way - it sounds and looks great, congratulations to an excellent plugin

Yeah it sounds great! Will purchase for sure

Yes, an Age knob could be added in the future. About our EP-3 I used as a model for our simulation, it has the original tape inside. I only cleaned the heads and the pinch roller, but the tape is the one that came with the machine (but I don't know if any of the original owners changed it over the years). Here's an A/B comparison between PlexiTape and the real thing, so you can see all the differences between them :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uojgJDegsHM

The main channel (with the vocals) is routed through PlexiTape or through the send channel to the hardware. The return channel only features a gain at +14dB for volume matching. No other effects has been used on either PlexiTape, the hardware channels or the master one.

Cheers,
Luca

the hardware example has less regen though.
the PlexiTape lingers a bit longer.
i'd like to hear some drum examples Plexi vs hw

sounds good!!

Yes.. maybe the Record Level trimmer on the machine is a bit lower compared to the plugin. That's why you hear less feedback.

First of all, Luca, thank you very much for your ingenious work and for being an active member here responding questions and sharing information.
I downloaded the demo and started playing around with it, just because I'm a sucker for delays and tapes. I was trying to scientifically compare with those tools I already have and everyone knows about (valhalla delay, echoboy, the two audiothing ones, the IK one, well... you know, the lot).
And then something happened. It was exactly what happened when I first started messing around in a little music store in my area with the Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe (an echoplex-sound-alike pedal): it was instant inspiration.
I really don't know what makes it different to the other ones I already have, but there is something distinctively different (I'm tempted to say the preamp has something to do with it, but I am truly not sure). I can replicate almost the same effect with other tools, but still there is something different that affects my performance (in a very positive way). And in the end it's all about using tools that make you feel inspired and comfortable. The PlexiTape really is a very inspiring plugin. I liked it so much that I bought straight from Audiority rather than using my silly pluginboutique free money... As much as I can, I will continue to support independent developers. Thanks again for this! (now, looking forward to a discount on the T7E... maybe black friday? :wink: ) :tu:
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

I agree with that special something

Thanks guys! :)
Here's a demo video and review that also shows the Sound On Sound feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIAB3tUeoDs

Cheers,
Luca

I wanna buy it, but i need to ask, is there any chance of shaving CPU cycles in future?

Congrats to the wizards at Audiority on capturing the elusive magic of the echoplex preamp. Sounds incredible, like fairy dust and all that... amazing! The blend between the original signal and the delay is like nothing I've ever heard in a plugin, and there are some great delays out there (Valhalla, HY, AudioThing, TAL, etc...) The intro price is more than generous - thanks for this!

evo2slo wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:50 am Sounds incredible, like fairy dust and all that... amazing!
<rant>
I wish we could get over the "magic" and "fairy dust" BS. The preamp in an EP3 is nothing to write home about. Maestro Echoplexes are not very well designed or made - they were meant as a budget tape delay. It was Roland that (tried) to take the platform into a higher fidelity. I remember back in the day (early 80s) used Echoplexes were $50-100 typically. Fairy dust? No... a properly modeled EP3 is going to sound like sh*t because the original hardware also sounded like sh*t. It's a good sounding sh*t these days because we are so used to the "pristine" nature of digital (although not all that pristine considering all the digital artifacts we have to contend with). I just wish we'd stop with all the pronunciations of "magic" and all that. It's false and tiring.
</rant> :phones:

Return to “Effects”