Smart:comp by Sonible

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does it replace the old nifty kitten?

I have no idea what genre it is. But here it is with and without smart:comp. the chain is smart:comp into one of the new IK tape plugins and them DMG limiter.

I can see using smart:comp on every master just before the limiter or tape finishing, to provide a final smoothing out of the audio - a final dynamics polish.

DRY (no smart:comp):
https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/kk ... mp/s-K5olM

WET (with smart:comp):
https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/kkryhztalizzed
Last edited by plexuss on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for sharing, plexuss. I demoed it and bought it, easy decision. PluginBoutique has the crossgrade/loyalty offer and the GBP conversion to USD saved me a bit this time around, on top of their rewards.

I agree it's well-suited for mastering. It's also good for finishing off the mixing stage, it's got 2048 samples of latency but is CPU-efficient enough to run a few instances on busses and to perform sidechain duty.

I love the knee control - brilliant UI design! I also like how the windows work when the timing window is open - slick! At first I sort of rolled my eyes when I saw sonible releasing a compressor. :roll: But now I have to say it's very unique and works and sounds really good. It might be some initial infatuation but I can see using this right ahead of the mastering limiter to give the track a final dynamics polish. :phones:

I sadly fell asleep yesterday and tested it only a short time but i think i will get this.

Am i correct? Hard compression seems not the pro side (like heavy comp like in presswerk etc) but it seems to give a nice glue and extra punch. I had processed channels with Comps already and just slammed this on top and on my master bus and maybe it was the gas but it seemed to give something on top i liked. When i tried to replace my heavy presswerk instance on a snare it was sounding weak somehow maybe i just wasnt setting it correct and presswerk has of course more harshness options etc.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

@caine123 Yes, I find smart:comp very smooth and gentle but with added punch and cohesion. It's not a heavy hitter although I haven't really hit it hard with extreme settings. it seems to want me to treat it gently. I will try some abuse later. :tu:

plexuss wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:05 pm @caine123 Yes, I find smart:comp very smooth and gentle but with added punch and cohesion. It's not a heavy hitter although I haven't really hit it hard with extreme settings. it seems to want me to treat it gently. I will try some abuse later. :tu:
Thx :tu:
Seems i have to be gentle with this lady ;D i am looking forward to demo it more tomorrow!
I still want to test the sidechain feature and see how it is compared to trackspacer!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

@plexuss
Thanks for another comparative test of your own, really appreciated.

Hey no problem! They are fun to do!

Do you notice a difference? What do you hear?

To me its a really nice "musical" smoothing out with a bit of punch. Warmer. Fuller. When you dial in the envelope timing it really makes a difference in that it blends more with the flow of the music. That's what I hear, anyway. Very unique and effective.

Here's my 0.02 pesos. I tried it first on a kick track. Result: ok, but it's not really that hard to get it right. So I tried it on a snare, result: very nice. But still, how hard is it to tweak a few knobs here and there with your usual compressors...
Then I saw a few videos/comparisons (including Plexuss here, thanks!) and I decided to open an earlier song. I put this one on every bus and then one in the mixbus (CPU usage is low). That was nice and it took a whole 30 seconds... and then of course I spent the forty some dollars they were asking for.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

escalona wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:05 pm That was nice and it took a whole 30 seconds... and then of course I spent the forty some dollars they were asking for.
Please tell us where they have it for $40

jbarish wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:12 pm
escalona wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:05 pm That was nice and it took a whole 30 seconds... and then of course I spent the forty some dollars they were asking for.
Please tell us where they have it for $40
I own other sonible plugins. They sent me an email some time ago to get a 25% off on top of the special release price before it was released. It took the price down to about $49 US.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

plexuss wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:53 pm Hey no problem! They are fun to do!

Do you notice a difference? What do you hear?

To me its a really nice "musical" smoothing out with a bit of punch. Warmer. Fuller. When you dial in the envelope timing it really makes a difference in that it blends more with the flow of the music. That's what I hear, anyway. Very unique and effective.
Cannot A/B-ing properly atm, I'll come back to it.
Track sounds good btw.

Is it a replacement/competitor for Pro-C then ?

Digivolt wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:43 pm Is it a replacement/competitor for Pro-C then ?
I'd say no. It's a special kind of compressor that has a specific effect on the sound. Pro-C2 is a general purpose compressor for all kinds of compression needs. :phones:

Return to “Effects”